PDA

View Full Version : OT: Uninstalling Vid Card and Installing New Card

TonyPiech
12-09-2004, 11:19 PM
I'm just checking about the correct process when removing an old VidCard and installing a new one. I have an ATi 9800XT and am planning to replace it with an ATi X800XT PE. My questions are:
1. Do I unistall the software from the old VidCard using the ATi Uninstaller before I physically remove the VidCard(hardware), or do I unistall the VidCard hardware first?
2. Do I also remove the old ATi Catalyst Center using the add/remove Control Panel process or do I leave it alone. If I leave it alone (on my computer) will it recognize my new VidCard when intalled? Or will a new Catalyst Center appear when I install the new VidCard (X800XT PE)software.
3. Are there any other steps that I need to take when swaping VidCards?

Sorry if the questions seems basic, but I never replaced a VidCard on the same computer before. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

TonyPiech
12-09-2004, 11:19 PM
I'm just checking about the correct process when removing an old VidCard and installing a new one. I have an ATi 9800XT and am planning to replace it with an ATi X800XT PE. My questions are:
1. Do I unistall the software from the old VidCard using the ATi Uninstaller before I physically remove the VidCard(hardware), or do I unistall the VidCard hardware first?
2. Do I also remove the old ATi Catalyst Center using the add/remove Control Panel process or do I leave it alone. If I leave it alone (on my computer) will it recognize my new VidCard when intalled? Or will a new Catalyst Center appear when I install the new VidCard (X800XT PE)software.
3. Are there any other steps that I need to take when swaping VidCards?

Sorry if the questions seems basic, but I never replaced a VidCard on the same computer before. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

R_Target
12-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Well, you're swapping ATi for ATi, so depending on the drivers, you could probably just shut the comp down, switch cards, and boot back up.

I never liked that way though, so.....
1. Yes, uninstall the drivers first.
2. Remove Catalyst Control Center/ATi Control Panel. Then turn off the 'puter, switch the hardware and boot it back up. Windows will want to install a crummy driver for your new card. Cancel it. Sometimes it asks twice. If so, cancel again. Then you can run the driver install from the CD that came with the card, or alternatively you get the latest drivers from ATi's site. Reboot after driver install and there you go.
3.Other steps are good if you're switching brands-e.g. ATi for NVidia or vice versa. Whichever was the previous card will tend to leave little pieces of drivers behind, so I use DriverCleaner3 to get rid of the nasties, and then deleat any registry keys for whichever brand was the previous one.