PDA

View Full Version : first whine carrier takeoffs

joeap
12-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Ok here is my first whine. Merged install, 3.01M patch etc. Went into the stock practice single carrier missions. RN, Seafire, (yes 100% fuel) couldn't take off, ended up in the drink, never had a problem before. Tried the SBD ok on a jeep carrier with a 500 pounder but dod it before the patch. Is it the patch or what am I doing wrong??

Maple_Tiger
12-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Are you letting the engine run at 110% power and WEB before you removing the chocks?

Fennec_P
12-08-2004, 10:12 PM
and using flaps?

It might be harder to lift off the Seafire, post patch, but certainly not impossible.

EDIT: I just did that mission, and had no problem. 100% power+WEP, release chocks and take off. Hit the deck end at about 140km/h. Didn't even need flaps. The carrier is moving so its easy.

Carrier Takeoff 2 is a little harder (stationary carrier), but with WEP and flaps, its not a problem.

joeap
12-09-2004, 03:29 AM
Ok strange, I thought the plane was too far up on the deck also. I'll try it again, and btw I did use WEP and 110% power.

sbraeden
12-09-2004, 08:31 AM
I am a newb so plese forgive me. I did the tutorial on carrier take offs. Then I tried the training mission. I start engine throttle up hold brakes flaps down ect.. Plane won't budge and inch..

3.JG51_BigBear
12-09-2004, 08:33 AM
The chocks are holding it in place. You need to map a key for it.

LilHorse
12-09-2004, 11:22 AM
I was having the same problem trying to launch Hellcats and Corsairs with 100% fuel load. I've found that going to 110% power/WEP, at 120% mix, with FULL flaps (landing) and let the engine stay revved up for a little while. Then I realized that as you go down the deck, as the tail starts to come up, LET IT! In fact, as it comes up help it a little with some forward stick to get wings level as soon as possible. Then once you drop off the deck (and you will drop some) pull back easy to start climb. My problem before was I was trying to maintain a tail down attitude down the deck and off. Dropped into the drink everytime. But it is true that in the practice missions they are starting you about a third of the way down on a Jeep carrier. But believe it or not, use the above technique and you'll get off the deck with Hellcats, Corsairs and probably your Seafire.

Now, getting off with ordnance and even 50% fuel is a real trick.

joeap
12-10-2004, 05:09 AM
Thanks...I found what was wrong. I closed the canopy and got off no problem. Does it create that much drag???

SeaFireLIV
12-10-2004, 05:27 AM
It might be done to reduce the incentive for pilots to engage in combat with cockpit open and therefore gain a viewing advantage.

Then again maybe you just did everything right. BTW, I can take off with cockpit open as long as I trim up a bit and use wep, and gears up immediately, but no flaps for me.

Gunny124
12-10-2004, 11:02 AM
We (the guys I fly with) found that we could get off the deck in F4Us with Tiny Tims if we set the flaps to combat, full throttle and just before clearing the deck, go to take-off flaps and bring the gear up just after you clear the deck. Pull up gently after you drop and pray. This was off the Essex by the way.

Akronnick
12-11-2004, 10:57 AM
My takeoff checklist for F4U-1A From baby flattop
in training mission:

Canopy: open
(doesn't make a difference for the game but this was procedure IRL for safety reasons so I do it for realisn sake)

Tailwheel: locked
(This will make the aircraft easier to control on the takeoff run)

Cowl Flaps: Full open
(again, not a large factor but was done IRL so I do it)

Engine: Start
(kinda hard to take off otherwise)

Flaps: Full extention(Landing)

Elevator trim: Nearly full nose up
Rudder trim: Slightly to the right
Aileron trim: Slightly to the left

Mixture: 120%
(gives more power at sea level but loses effectiveness above 3000 ft)

Throttle: Full
(Save the WEP for when you really need it)

Take a breath, look over everything to make sure you didn't forget something, push forward on the stick and

Release Chocks

the plane will lift its tail almost immediately.
hold the gunsight level with the horizon using rudder to stay centered on the deck
when you get close to the edge SMOOTHLY start pullling back on the stick. The Corsair has a tendency to drop the right wing at low speed/high power so anticipate this. Whatever you do, don't let it drop its wing, you need all off that lift pulling you away from the water, not from side to side

Using this procedure, I'm starting to stay dry about 50% of the time. It can be done, But they didn't call the Corsair the ensign eliminator for nothing.

duffys_tavern
12-11-2004, 11:08 AM
I'm telling ya boys, we could sure use a catapult or some way to simulate one. Something to give us, maybe, a burst of power or increased wind down the deck.

Akronnick
12-11-2004, 12:04 PM
I Second That

Korbelz
12-11-2004, 04:44 PM
as the drag from the open pit and cowl flaps open on the corsair..yes it does cause drag. i ran some tests at sea level and the open pit brought my top speed down by 20 kp/h..cowl flaps did the same. still haven't ran acel. test on it, but the drag is pretty min.

as far as getting the corsair off a static carrier(dogfight servers) with a load it can be done...i posted about it in the "corsairs in the drink"...i guess no one esle had posted the sling-shot method of take-off. it adds 30-40 kp/h for take-off which can be swapped for fuel/bombload.

CKY_86
12-11-2004, 04:47 PM
what is the sling shot methard

Korbelz
12-11-2004, 06:32 PM
ok tried some more payload stuff off the static carrier...here is what i came up with

off the brit carrier: got a full fuel and payload seafire off the deck, the f4f 50% fuel/max payload

off the japan carrier: full fuel/payload val off the deck.

off the american carrier: full fuel/payload hellcat. corsair: 25% 2 tiny tims, and 8 AP rockets, 75% and two naplam(dropped drop tank), 50% with two naplam and 8 rockets

i'll see if i can post a link to the other thread Corsair in the drink (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=26310365&m=6471066052)