PDA

View Full Version : whether there's weather

wehyam
10-01-2007, 11:00 AM
I've been out of sims for a couple of years ..
been doing (learning) real flying.. I'm really bad at it.
BUT I know one thing no SEP in FSX or 2004 or any addon I've tried flies anything much like a plane (or microlight)! However, the IL2 planes seem to behave as though they have some inertia. The flight model is in my opinion almost OK (I dont know whether its correct but it gives the illusion of control (the other sim with a nearly realistic model is the Condor gliding sim..

BUT the point is this has there been any development in the IL2 space which lets one set up the weather.. as does SFX (an excellent feature) and of course the glider sims ? A bit of rain or low cloud.. cross winds etc etc.

I've lost my IL2 documentation but I'd be grateful for any help..

wehyam
10-01-2007, 11:00 AM
I've been out of sims for a couple of years ..
been doing (learning) real flying.. I'm really bad at it.
BUT I know one thing no SEP in FSX or 2004 or any addon I've tried flies anything much like a plane (or microlight)! However, the IL2 planes seem to behave as though they have some inertia. The flight model is in my opinion almost OK (I dont know whether its correct but it gives the illusion of control (the other sim with a nearly realistic model is the Condor gliding sim..

BUT the point is this has there been any development in the IL2 space which lets one set up the weather.. as does SFX (an excellent feature) and of course the glider sims ? A bit of rain or low cloud.. cross winds etc etc.

I've lost my IL2 documentation but I'd be grateful for any help..

FoolTrottel
10-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Start the Full Mission Builder.

Load a mission, then goto Edit, Conditions...

Skycat_2
10-01-2007, 05:55 PM
You can quickly set up dramatic weather conditions in the Quick Mission Builder.

The Uber-Quick Mission Generator has similar weather choices (clear, hazy, blind, rain, snow, thunderstorms).

I don't think that IL-2 can generate changing weather or have different conditions across the map.

VW-IceFire
10-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Weather is pretty simplistic in IL-2. One of a couple of states ranging from clear to overcast to thunderstorm/snowstorm.

Storm of War: Battle of Britain is the next gen version that will show up sometime or another and will feature a realistic weather system. We've been shown a bit about cloud movement on the bonus DVD that came with some packages of IL-2 1946 and apparently the engine models "packets" of air and has realistic updraft/downdraft modeling and moving fronts.

I'll be interested to see what that ends up looking like in the end. But as for IL-2...not too much.

STENKA_69.GIAP
10-02-2007, 05:49 AM
Note on IL2 Weather.

Wind direction seems to be fixed depending on the map so try different maps. Wind speed varies according to both the weather setting and the time of day - max is around dawn I think.

Wind does gust (at least in storm settings).

Try setting up a carrier stationary with plane on deck - then you will see airspeed vary.

I'm not sure wind works in dogfight mode?? but it does in co-op mode.

However, in general I don't feel IL2 treats sideslip and drift convincingly. I need to set up something that helps practice crosswind landings and have not got it right yet.

Ok maby a carrier or temporary airstrip, cross wind in a storm at 06:00, with no hook...