PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Problem

knarf1981
03-01-2005, 07:10 PM
whenever i give my plane rudder, like when lining up for landing, the plane will yaw the right way but then when i release the rudder back to nuetral the plane goes back to about the same heading as prior to the rudder. i use the key board for rudders, i have one left, one right and one nuetral. when i look on the external view and hit the rudder left or right the rudder will work right and then when i release the rudder it automatically returns to nuetral without me pushing rudder nuetral. soooooo, i dont see why i have the problem with my heading in flight.

Zyzbot
03-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Are you flying a plane that has rudder trim?

knarf1981
03-01-2005, 11:47 PM
this happens with many planes, so i am not sure

F19_Ob
03-02-2005, 12:31 AM
If I understand you correctly, there is nothing wrong with the plane.

It takes some time for the rudder to take effect because u also have quite high forward speed, so even if u push rudder and the plane yaws to one side it still have the forward motion. If u release the the rudder-pressure it will go back a bit towards the original heading.
Try to line up with normal slow small turns instead and use rudder in the final moments if nescessary.

In normal flight u can use rudder-trim to correct the minor deviation.
Some planes dont have rudder-trim and yet others have trimtabs that only can be adjusted on ground and wich are set so they enable straight flight at cruisingspeed (bf109 for example).

Tully__
03-02-2005, 05:55 AM
Use ailerons & elevator to turn, use rudder only to keep the plane pointed in the direction it's travelling (except on the ground). It takes a very long time to get any significant amount of turn using rudder alone (and in real life it's very uncomfortable doing it that way, it's sure to upset your passengers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)