PDA

View Full Version : Ch Pedals/Sidewinder joystick

bzc3lk
10-06-2007, 09:08 PM
I noticed the other day a post relating to the use of a saitek joystick and CH rudder pedal assemblies.My understanding from past conversations was that you would get a conflict between drivers if you mixed brand names on hardware items.As I have a Sidewinder stick which I am happy with is it possible to just buy the CH pedals,install the software,configure the game and all should be well.Your help would be greatly appreciated.

bzc3lk
10-06-2007, 09:08 PM
I noticed the other day a post relating to the use of a saitek joystick and CH rudder pedal assemblies.My understanding from past conversations was that you would get a conflict between drivers if you mixed brand names on hardware items.As I have a Sidewinder stick which I am happy with is it possible to just buy the CH pedals,install the software,configure the game and all should be well.Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Bearcat99
10-06-2007, 09:33 PM
It will work flawlessly... at one time I was using a MSFFB2/Saitek X-45/CH Pedals all with the profiling software that came with each controller... combo that worked great.. I have since gotten Saitek rudder pedals... but I still use the MSFFB2 & the X-45.. which I modified. This sim supports up to 4 controllers without a hitch..

http://star.walagata.com/w/bearcat/100_2686_0.JPG

Antisub
10-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Before getting my CH Pro pedals, did some research online. Found several posts that said CH is deliberately making their stick / pedal software incompatible with other party hardware, but that you can hook up the pedals and run them without the inclosed software. Mine work fine that way with my Sidewinder stick. It's the second review down:

http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/joysticks-gamepads/m/227959/

"You are correct it was a marketing and sales decision to have Control Manager only combine our controllers. We of course are a business and would like to make a profit as well as produce quality product, so we do such things to prompt potential customers to buy our products. There are no future plans for allowing Control Manager to combine other brand controllers. "

Bearcat99
10-06-2007, 09:57 PM
All that means is that the CH software will only combine CH products... the sim will recognize up to 4 controllers. When I was using the CH pedals.. which I stopped using because I wanted a wider stance.... I was using the CH control manager, the SST software fore the X-45 and the Sidewinder software for the MSFFB2..

Stiletto-
10-06-2007, 09:58 PM
I used to use CH Pedals, older gameport kind. It use to be where in the Control Panel you could just click a checkbox to add rudder pedals to any "joystick" you had calibrated, and then you'd be prompted to calibrate the pedals and youd have your extra control axis show up in almost any game. Upon looking at the Game controller menu there is still an option to "add rudder pedals" so even without the CH drivers, you should be able to use a genaric windows driver and run them with anything.

bzc3lk
10-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the information Bearcat,much to my relief as I like the feel of the stick and would rather stay with the devil I know.The rudder axis POT is starting to work intermitently at times so this is enough reason to treat myself to the pedals.Thanks to all who contributed.

PBNA-Boosher
10-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Yeah, at home I run with CH Pro Pedals and my Sidewinder precision 2. The stick I've had for at least 7 years now. Up here at college I'm really missing my pedals though, my aim with a twist stick all goes to hell. I guess I'll add that to the "bring up after break and crowd my room with more stuff" list.

horseback
10-07-2007, 12:07 PM
There appears to be a misunderstanding brewing here; CH Control Manager software allows the user to combine <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">CH controllers</span> in a way that causes Windows and, by extension, Il-2, to see them all as one controller. This allows me to use three CH controllers plus up to three other (lesser) controllers at the same time.

CH's software does not have the ability (or the permission) to add any other manufacturers' controllers to the mix. If they did, they would no doubt be inundated by a flood of litigation.

It is left up to the game to mix brands, and that is why the Il-2 series 'sees' up to 4 seperate controllers. I used to use my CH Pro Pedals and Pro Throttle along with my Sidewinder Precision Pro 2 ingame without a problem. I just combined them with CH Manager and added them in the Controls menu in the game as Controller 2.

The only potential issue you may have is that the computer might designate the pedals (or any new controller) as Controller 1, in which case you will have to redo your controller assignments in-game. In the case of the original poster, this shouldn't be likely, as Microsoft products usually get first billing.

I recently had to redo mine when I added a Logitech FFB game controller to the mix for a pseudo-FFB effect (it vibrates noticably against my stick base, which comes in very handy for P-39 campaigns). The Logicr@p game controller became Number 1, and I had to redo all my axis and joystick button assignments, plus change my axis sensitivities in the conf.ini folder.

cheers

horseback