PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions

Piggy74
08-07-2008, 11:14 AM
I started a new career last night in the 1st flotilla, type IIA (or b).

Finally found a couple of C2 cargos, lined up perfectly I was hoping to sink it with one eel as I only have 5 in this boat. No matter where I aimed (engine room, bow, fuel bunker) using either pistol or magnetic I could not sink it with one torp?

In previous encounters with C2's Ive been able to sink them with one (in 1940, are the torps different?). Frustrated I reloaded 7 times to see if it could be done, not once. In fact it ended up taking 3 to sink it. The other C2 sunk with two.

I have realistic sinking times on and the bow was nearly underwater, water was over the decks and its burning yet its still moving and wont sink, even when waiting for hours.

In this situation will it ever sink or must I hit it again? I know ships can take a long time to sink and thats okay, but do I have to actually see it go down to get credit, or for that matter would it ever go down without hitting it again?

It seems odd that you can take out some largers ships with one torp but need 2+ for other smaller ones?

Where is the best place to hit a C2, are magnetic settings better to break its back? (so far I havent been able to though in this career)

Also, regarding GWX. What settings does it turn off, do you "have" to do manual targetting? is the external camera dissabled (F12)?

Cheers

Piggy74
08-07-2008, 11:14 AM
I started a new career last night in the 1st flotilla, type IIA (or b).

Finally found a couple of C2 cargos, lined up perfectly I was hoping to sink it with one eel as I only have 5 in this boat. No matter where I aimed (engine room, bow, fuel bunker) using either pistol or magnetic I could not sink it with one torp?

In previous encounters with C2's Ive been able to sink them with one (in 1940, are the torps different?). Frustrated I reloaded 7 times to see if it could be done, not once. In fact it ended up taking 3 to sink it. The other C2 sunk with two.

I have realistic sinking times on and the bow was nearly underwater, water was over the decks and its burning yet its still moving and wont sink, even when waiting for hours.

In this situation will it ever sink or must I hit it again? I know ships can take a long time to sink and thats okay, but do I have to actually see it go down to get credit, or for that matter would it ever go down without hitting it again?

It seems odd that you can take out some largers ships with one torp but need 2+ for other smaller ones?

Where is the best place to hit a C2, are magnetic settings better to break its back? (so far I havent been able to though in this career)

Also, regarding GWX. What settings does it turn off, do you "have" to do manual targetting? is the external camera dissabled (F12)?

Cheers

klcarroll
08-07-2008, 11:44 AM
@Piggy74;

My favorite boat is a TypeIID, ...so I know exactly where you're coming from!

C2s are tough puppies!! I have had the best luck with a "Under the Keel Shot" directly under the smokestack: .....But I always consider myself blessed if I don't have to follow it up with a second fish!

klcarroll

Realjambo
08-07-2008, 12:47 PM
I agree with KL - Set running depth 1 metre below the keel on magnetic and aim for under the smoke stack.

The difference between magnetic and impact torpedoes are relatively obvious - Impact torps are set to explode when they hit something - preferably the side of the vessel and blow a hole in it as the explosive force pushes forward in the path the torp was traveling before it hit - whereas Magnetic work by reacting to the magnetic field generated by the hull of the vessel in the water and the explosion is regarded as greater as it explodes and pushes upwards with greater force just beneath the hull and the 'back bone'. In the game, a depth setting of 1 metre below the hull (My personal preference I must state) is often enough to break the back and snap the vessel in half - if your aim is keen enough! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Piggy74
08-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah thats what I was setting them at, and its worked well in previous shots. (in 1940 in a VIIb).

Perhaps my aim was off, it was really hot here yesterday, I was tired & cranky and it was late, basically RL fatigue... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Parabellum9x19
08-07-2008, 03:15 PM
In my experience one torpedo straight into the boiler room makes them blow up magnificently.

I haven't played for some time, but if I remember correctly, C2s have a draft of 9m. Impact torpedo set at ~6/6.5m and aimed at the section between front of the bridge and smokestack should do the trick. As always, try to get as close as possible.

Here I am lining up one of those shots.
http://i35.tinypic.com/29dthqg.jpg

Kielhauler1961
08-07-2008, 03:45 PM
I hate C2's, they eat my torpedoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and just keep on moving!

Put three torps into one once (forward, amidships and stern). Followed her until she sank. It took 36 hours, and I didn't even get the credit. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

I think they're made out of polystyrene.

AtlantikEel
08-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Kretschmer once torpedoed a ship carring a cargo of cork!
Took quite an effort to sink it.

tuddley3
08-08-2008, 09:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kielhauler1961:

I think they're made out of polystyrene. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Kielhauler1961
08-10-2008, 11:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AtlantikEel:
Kretschmer once torpedoed a ship carring a cargo of cork!
Took quite an effort to sink it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember a book called "Make Another Signal" detailing odd, humourous and unusual signals and messages at sea. This one was recorded from 1942:

SSS...SSS...S.S. Maid of Cork, sinking.

It's not funny set in context but it must have raised a few eyebrows at the time.