PDA

View Full Version : What kind of fuel did they use?

Pigeon_
07-13-2009, 05:58 AM
Well... that's what I want to know. What kind of fuel did they put in WW2 aircraft. Was it the same for all aircraft (apart from experimental additives), or were there differences between aircraft types and aircraft from different powers?

Pigeon_
07-13-2009, 05:58 AM
Well... that's what I want to know. What kind of fuel did they put in WW2 aircraft. Was it the same for all aircraft (apart from experimental additives), or were there differences between aircraft types and aircraft from different powers?

danjama
07-13-2009, 06:23 AM
There were different types of fuel used by different nations and for different aero-engines.

Fuel was tested extensively to see which fuel would give the best performance vs wear in an engine. Some fuels would make the engine run too hot and foul the plugs alot quicker, just as an example. Some fuels (such as C3 used by Germany) would give a performance boost (higher available Manifold pressure).

There were different octane ratings, which is basically rated how quickly a fuel would "explode" or burn. This is controlled by various chemicals. Read more about Octane ratings here. (http://www.carbibles.com/fuel_engine_bible_pg2.html) I believe the main fuels in England at the time were 90 and 100 octane, but i may be wrong. I also know 120 octane was used in some later Spitfires. In fact i'm sure if you searched in this forum for "120 octane" or similar you would get some very interesting past topics.

So to sum up, fuel was specific to the engine being used and the conditions it would be used in.