PDA

View Full Version : CFS2 or PF

Siwarrior
10-24-2004, 01:30 AM
I have a feeling that PF won't work on my system. So i am looking into buying cfs2, is cfs2 worth it?, is it any good?

Si

jimmie_T
10-24-2004, 01:39 AM
If you want shoot'em up, try CFS2.
It *was* fun and shooting is surely harder than in an X-Wing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If you're masochistic and enjoy torturing yourself and require immersion, want to feel war, go PF but make money get very fast rig.
It's fun and *interesting.* (tho I don't have PF yet)

VF-17_Jolly
10-24-2004, 01:40 AM
Tell us what your system is and we may be able to help CFS2 is good but its a generation behind FB+PF althoughh some of the technical aspects are better modeled (fuel,wind,sound)the whole flight sim experience in FB+PF is better

Hartford688
10-24-2004, 01:47 AM
I am running it on a PIII 800 w/ 384MB RAM. 128MB card.

Would not dare run it online or a big missions but you can have loads of fun on QMB and FMB missions...

Siwarrior
10-24-2004, 01:54 AM
At the moment when i play fb all i do is QMB, so i installed the original il2 and play the campaigns on that.

But i really want a pacific ww2 sim, other than pearl harbour strike at dawn.

Siwarrior
10-24-2004, 01:56 AM
How do i post my system specs?

Beirut
10-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Go to "run" in the start menu. Type dxdiag and hit enter. It should bring upa screen that will check out your machine automatically. Click the button that says Save Information after the check is finished. You should then have a Dx Diagnostic document on your desktop. In there is all the info you need to know about your machine.

(If I can find my old copy of CFS2, it's yours if you want it. Your profile says Aussie-Land. Not sure if Canadian CDs work way-way-way down there. Anybody know?)

Fresshness
10-24-2004, 07:53 AM
Chuck Yeager's Air Combat?

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=2141

Chuck_Older
10-24-2004, 08:19 AM
This is the wrong crowd to be asking if CFS2 is preferable to anything

SkyChimp
10-24-2004, 08:25 AM
CFS2 was fantastic in its day. But after playing IL2 and FB, it's going to be a real let-down. It requires A LOT of 3rd party add-ons to make it good. And I'm not just talking planes. There were flak and roll bugs, some canopies didn't work, etc... You need to do a lot of downloading to get CFS2 working properly.

I don't have PF yet, and I don't know what your system looks like, but I'd definately opt for PF and do the best you can with it. For smooth play, you may have to turn down some settings, but at least you won't have to fix it yourself.

Bearcat99
10-24-2004, 09:35 AM
CFS2 was definitely the best of the CFS series IMO but there isnt much out anything in fact that can compare to the IL2 franchise. On your rig though you would probably get more enjoyment out of CFS 2 for now.

stansdds
10-24-2004, 09:41 AM
I don't yet have PF, but do have CFS2 and it does take a metric buttload of mods to make it good. CFS2 works pretty well on my computer.

P-3-550E
128 MB RAM
Voodoo3-2000 16MB video
Soundblaster 16 sound

I know PF will choke this system, but I will be building a new computer so I can run PF. Just looking at the screens I can see PF is light years ahead of CFS2.

Bull_dog_
10-24-2004, 09:53 AM
I am an old CFS 2 diehard...now converted to FB/AEP... CFS2 is great as far as I'm concerned...or at least certain aspects of it

#1...Tons and tons of aircraft available...most people can get about 96 aircraft in the folder and then have to do a second install...now that is great! No flight model whining either cause the open architecture allows DM and FM tweaking by the user with certain applications

#2...if you are a mission builder, this is the game for you. Hands down, CFS2 is the best mission builder in a sim. That feature alone kept me building campaigns and missions for a year and a half.

#3...high altitude graphics are great imho...not as good at low altitude as FB but some of the scenery, like the Owen Stanley's, is truly picturesque...also the world is modelled...no detail except the pacific, but the whole world is there.

#4...I have a 2.4ghz p3, Ti4600 and 384SDram and can have 70+ aircraft flying around...now that is also indicative of other shortcomings in the game

which are...annoying collision bug which can be fixed with a hex editor, very mediocre AI, simple damage models on ships, decent but not great FM's, effects and other stuff.

For the money, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it as you may find yourself immersed...the online usefulness is poor compared to FB and many old CFS2 diehards have converted after the CFS3 debacle... I for one don't play it anymore and I'm anxiously awaiting PF to arrive, but I do have many fond memories of it

Should get my new system next week...3.4ghz w/ Nvidia 6800GT and 2 Gigs of 533hzDDRAM ...I'm gonna be rocking and rolling shortly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

TheGozr
10-24-2004, 10:38 AM
No track ir support..

609IAP_Recon
10-24-2004, 11:13 AM
"#1...Tons and tons of aircraft available...most people can get about 96 aircraft in the folder and then have to do a second install...now that is great! No flight model whining either cause the open architecture allows DM and FM tweaking by the user with certain applications"

Allow people to define their own FM's is a good thing? I'd question that. As far as aircraft - if you create a model and it meets a standard of quality - it can be included in the game. This is a big misconception. Let's compare to 1% team - if you do work for them, will they not ask for it to meet a standard of any type? Nothing is different here - it is only asked that it goes through 1C to be added.
The only complaint I really hear about FM is that many feel the very original IL2 had the better FM than now - but I'm not sure if that is true or just people stuck in the 'good old days' mentality. Additionally, most base it on their feelings and have never flown a warbird, but are all of a sudden experts at what flying a ww2 warbird was really like OR they base it on what a older game did - and I ask if they can prove the older game was right as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"#4...I have a 2.4ghz p3, Ti4600 and 384SDram and can have 70+ aircraft flying around...now that is also indicative of other shortcomings in the game"

Yes, definitely a complaint from me as well - and the advertised 128 AC.... well, I still lack in this game with 2 ships firing at same time, or multiple flak guns, and I have a nice system and nice video card - let alone the AI that do wierd flip flops and don't obey the same physics as the humans. But, then again, remember this engine was built with just the IL2 in mind, not as what it as become, hence the development of BoB. This is something to tie us over until BoB I think. Some say 'better graphics' make a sim. Personally, I go for good graphics too, but I compromise on playability - hence, even though I can run perfect mode, I don't, because I enjoy higher fps over just looks. I also do strongly believe that due to cheating, cheat protection measures have hurt the game, back in IL2 you could have more aircraft and more objects than now. This happened with FB came out - we had IL2 missions we ran in FB, FB was much harder on the system than IL2 - unfortunately.

"For the money, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it as you may find yourself immersed...the online usefulness is poor compared to FB and many old CFS2 diehards have converted after the CFS3 debacle... I for one don't play it anymore and I'm anxiously awaiting PF to arrive, but I do have many fond memories of it"

If you fly in some wars with the right people on comms, etc.. you'll have good memories in this game as well. I certainly do.

I'll add - I do think 1C needs to make sure their aircraft viewer data is accurate - they made the game, they should be able to display the correct information. I do like the IL2 compare utility.

TheGozr
10-24-2004, 11:43 AM
No track ir support..

Philipscdrw
10-24-2004, 11:44 AM
I haven't played CFS2 for ages! That brings back memories. I never really got into it.

If you can find CFS2 in a bargain bin somewhere, then it is worthwhile getting it just to tide you over. It has an excellent manual and would serve as a briefing to PF.

NorrisMcWhirter
10-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Hi,

It's ironic but I can buy FB or Il-2 for less than I can get CFS2 for in the UK. For some reason, it's held it's price (ok, we know the reason why).

Cheers,
norris

Siwarrior
10-25-2004, 01:51 AM
thanks all
i think about it

si

Siwarrior
10-25-2004, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the offer Beirut
i think i will buy it

si

Beirut
10-25-2004, 05:04 AM
Ok, but if you can't buy it at the store, let me know and I'll try to dig up my old copy for you. I think I still have the manual, but no box.

fushihara
10-25-2004, 04:17 PM
I'm disappointed that PF doesn't cover Solomon Islands but CFS2 does.

Kan-ichiro Fushihara

TAGERT.
10-25-2004, 04:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fushihara:

Kan-ichiro Fushihara <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm disappointed that CFS2 sucks and PF doesnt. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

fushihara
10-25-2004, 07:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TAGERT.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fushihara:

Kan-ichiro Fushihara <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm disappointed that CFS2 sucks and PF doesnt. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm intending to attack Gadalcanal HENDERSON from Rabaul by Zero Fighters.

Kan-ichiro Fushihara

Siwarrior
10-26-2004, 01:16 AM
Beirut, i checked at Electronics boutic and i could not find it, just stacks and stacks of San Andres (GTA). I also checked at some other store and could not find it,

I would like to have CFS2 but only if you want to send it to me in Australia.

SI