PDA

View Full Version : Warbird and Navy museums in Japan?

Schaefer40
07-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Hi,

in August i will go to Japan. So I want to ask you, if you could advice me some worthwhile museums with warbirds (or Navy)

Thank you
Schaefer

Schaefer40
07-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Hi,

in August i will go to Japan. So I want to ask you, if you could advice me some worthwhile museums with warbirds (or Navy)

Thank you
Schaefer

JtD
07-19-2010, 10:19 AM
One thing I'd visit if I had the chance is the Yamato museum in Kure.

Wildnoob
07-19-2010, 10:40 AM
If you are interested in see IJN ships - your only option is the famous Russo-Japanese War battleship Mikasa, in Yokosuka. It's the only remaining IJN vessel and the only pre-Dreadnought in the world today.

Sillius_Sodus
07-19-2010, 01:56 PM
There is an interesting museum at the Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo and I think there might be an air museum somewhere near Narita airport.

mhuxt
07-19-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm pretty sure the museum near Narita is civil aircraft. Fairly disappointing at that too, IIRC.

Yasukuni shrine is probably the best bet. Be prepared for culture shock oin the display captions.

FlatSpinMan
07-20-2010, 07:04 AM
Yep, Yasukuni is really interesting for the exhibits and the presentation of events.
In Kobe, where I live, there is a small naval museum but it is never open when I try to go there. When I do I'll check it out and update you. It doesn't look too impressive though - no space for major displays I would say.

If you are in Kure, Hiroshima is obviously worth visiting, for another aspect of WW2 history. Regardless of your views on it, the museum is very affecting.

There's not a lot of stuff around about it in Japan though for obvious reasons. Not most peoples' favourite hour.

Schaefer40
07-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Hi all!

Thank you! I heard about a museum in Kure. I think it s the yamato museum , but only with a large model of the battle ship ;-)

Flat Spin, you live in Japan? So maybe this list of japanese aircraft survivors is interesting for you. You can see where they are. There are some in Japan , but spread in the whole country.
You can also see where they are in the world (USA, Australia, Britain,...)

http://www.j-aircraft.com/misc/SURVIVE.HTM

Unfortunately I don t have much time to go to different places..

Schaefer

horseback
07-20-2010, 11:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wildnoob:
If you are interested in see IJN ships - your only option is the famous Russo-Japanese War battleship Mikasa, in Yokosuka. It's the only remaining IJN vessel and the only pre-Dreadnought in the world today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think I found this one by accident during a business trip in '03.

It's near the US naval base, and in a landlocked park (the ship is no longer afloat); there were no signs in English, only in Japanese. You can walk around on the outer decks and look in the various portholes. It is obviously well taken care of, but I got the impression that the Japanese weren't trying to make a big deal out of it nowadays.

My overwhelming impression of it was that it was tiny compared to modern warships. I don't think it was even 130m long.

cheers

horseback

ElAurens
07-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Go to the Naval Airbase Museum in Kanoya.

It has the only remaining H8K "Emily" flying boat.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7879/kanoya.jpg

Wildnoob
07-20-2010, 07:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:
I don't think it was even 130m long. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

131.67 meters exactly. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Treetop64
07-20-2010, 10:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JtD:
One thing I'd visit if I had the chance is the Yamato museum in Kure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely. Probably the best scale model of anything in the world today. Can't go wrong with a professionally commissioned 1/10th scale Yamato. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif