PDA

View Full Version : Was anyone offended by this game?

Jack_Vykios
08-15-2008, 03:02 PM
So I was writing a long overdue segment to my fanfic, and the question occured...were people offended by Assassin's Creed? I mean, the opening screen saying the the game was produced by a "multicultural team of various faiths and beliefs" or something to that effect suggested that people would be considering that I, like wikipedia, find the game to be largely Atheistic in nature.

Not that I want this to deviate into a religious debate.

But yeah, muslims, christians...uh...fellow Atheists, I guess, was anyone offended by the game?

(the reason this isn't a poll is because I want responses, not statistics. Oh, and no smartasses saying "I was offended by how bad the game was" since you ain't gonna impress anybody.)

Jack_Vykios
08-15-2008, 03:02 PM
So I was writing a long overdue segment to my fanfic, and the question occured...were people offended by Assassin's Creed? I mean, the opening screen saying the the game was produced by a "multicultural team of various faiths and beliefs" or something to that effect suggested that people would be considering that I, like wikipedia, find the game to be largely Atheistic in nature.

Not that I want this to deviate into a religious debate.

But yeah, muslims, christians...uh...fellow Atheists, I guess, was anyone offended by the game?

(the reason this isn't a poll is because I want responses, not statistics. Oh, and no smartasses saying "I was offended by how bad the game was" since you ain't gonna impress anybody.)

lostassassin123
08-15-2008, 03:07 PM
No.

ScytheOfGrim
08-15-2008, 03:07 PM
This guy (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/7601099976) seemingly was. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

I wasn't, and I'm a Muslim, so... hmm...
I suppose you have to be very close-minded and arrogant to an extent to have been offended by this game, it's not like they said anything that hasn't been said before by hundreds of others.

It's not like they said much at all.
Why am I still up?! @_@

cooldude6681
08-15-2008, 03:25 PM
I was a little off-put by the jerk-scientist's reference to the bible, but wasn't really offended by anything. It's been months since I played the game (I don't even have it anymore <.< sold it for GTA4, which I then proceeded to sell for MS Points), but I think I remember it feeling kinda anti-religion. *shrug* I'd have to play it again to give a better response.

Jack_Vykios
08-15-2008, 03:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ScytheOfGrim:
This guy (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/7601099976) seemingly was. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh yeah! I found that thread yesterday...didn't quite understand whatever it was he said.
I regretted missing that thread. I would have egged him on.

caswallawn_2k7
08-15-2008, 05:19 PM
if you get offended by games and movies you may as well just give up look how many movies come out of america were the americans came out to be the hero even if in the actual historical event didnt even include them.

the fact is as long as people can get away with changing it a bit they will. so to get offended by it is just stupid. come on even the germans voted john clease doing the goose step and saluting the best comedy moment.

hell if old british comedy hasnt offended the rest of the world with the way political correctness is you dont have a hope now.

alteremagam
08-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Actual i was a little bit offended.Because at the end of the game al muah lim said water into wine,walking on water.He said it was all done by that ball.Im a christian i believe in jesus.

Kaxen6
08-15-2008, 05:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cooldude6681:
I was a little off-put by the jerk-scientist's reference to the bible </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I loved that line... as much as I hate Vidic...

But as a person of no discernible religion but the vaguest sense that a higher power exists, no, I wasn't offended.

ScytheOfGrim
08-15-2008, 11:24 PM
So, alteremagam, you got offended by a fictional line expressed for the sake of philosophy and character depth, and not a line to convert you into a "believer"?

I find that sort of stuff strange. &gt;_&gt;

How can you hate Vidic? ;__;
He's the only character of Jack Sparrow caliber in the game. &gt;_&gt;

Kaxen6
08-15-2008, 11:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ScytheOfGrim:
So, alteremagam, you got offended by a fictional line expressed for the sake of philosophy and character depth, and not a line to convert you into a "believer"?

He's the only character of Jack Sparrow caliber in the game. &gt;_&gt; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because Vidic is scary when he yells at me for not laying down in the Animus ;_;

lostassassin123
08-16-2008, 03:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kaxen6:

He's the only character of Jack Sparrow caliber in the game. &gt;_&gt; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because Vidic is scary when he yells at me for not laying down in the Animus ;_; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should somehow make a comic about it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Like Desmond have nightmares from Vidic, I don't know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

the_assassin_07
08-16-2008, 08:52 AM
http://chrisnolan.ca/photos_loc/blog/00000155/***itol.jpg

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

caswallawn_2k7
08-16-2008, 09:09 AM
@07: dont repost pictures I've already done http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

the_assassin_07
08-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Yeah I was posting it because you posted it in the thread that Scythe linked and I thought it was funny http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif I guess I should of quoted it instead =O

Crash_Plague
08-16-2008, 02:25 PM
I am muslim and I didn't find any reason to be offended by this game.

spazzoo1025
08-16-2008, 02:35 PM
yeah I've got quite a few Muslim friends and they all say they enjoy kicking Templar butt XD

Jack_Vykios
08-16-2008, 05:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spazzoo1025:
yeah I've got quite a few Muslim friends and they all say they enjoy kicking Templar butt XD </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Wow...that's kind of the exact opposite kind of response to what I was expecting http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
In other news, killing religious fanatics is fun to me, too.
Awww...that was mean.
Killing them in GAMES is, at least. In person it's less fun than you'd think...um, I mean...

XxRTEKxX
08-16-2008, 09:45 PM
I say FRAK political correctness. The novels of the Bourne Identity involved Jason Bourne going up against Islamic terrorists. In the movies, I guess in order not to **** off the Islamic community, they took out the whole Islamic Terrorist aspect, and made it so that Jason Bourne was up against his own gov't. That way other nation's and ethnicities wouldn't have reason to be angry.

Therefor, I say Great job Ubisoft in not being politically correct and including both the Muslim faith, and the Christian faith, and the opportunity to dispose of either side throughout the game.

Me being an American who hates Islamic Extremists who kill innocent people in the name of their so called God(Allah), I took great pleasure in disposing of Muslim military, and ratical speakers in the game. Everytime I heard someone say something about infidel, or kick those crusaders out of our land, I took a guilty pleasure in giving them a taste of cold hard steel.

ScytheOfGrim
08-16-2008, 10:37 PM
You see, this is the sad thing about today's world.

People can't differentiate between "Islamic extremists", and "Arabic extremists".

There is no such thing as an "Islamic extremist".
If he's an "extremist", then he can't be "Islamic" you ignorant people. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Oh Lord, this thing is going to take a turn for the worst, I'm afraid. &gt;_&gt;

Crash_Plague
08-16-2008, 10:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by XxCH0NGxX:
Me being an American who hates Islamic Extremists who kill innocent people in the name of their so called God(Allah), I took great pleasure in disposing of Muslim military, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't get me wrong, **** being politically correct, but be careful not to confuse middle-eastern extremists with what I like to call "modern-muslims".

The muslims depicted in the news and on CNN are degenerate wackos who kill innocent people because they are idiotic racists and they try to understand the words of their holy book while they themselves are illiterate.

Basically, third-world idiots and ****-tards.

modern-muslims, a lot of them living in the Americas, are generally good people, who would never wish ill upon anyone.

Which is why I sometimes have trouble seeing why Americans have trouble living with these muslims, when they infact claim to only have problems with the degenerate muslims that live in ****ed-ghanistan.

the_assassin_07
08-17-2008, 02:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am muslim and I didn't find any reason to be offended by this game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
=O

I didn't know that... Kewl http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jack_Vykios
08-17-2008, 06:14 AM
You see, this is the sad thing about today's world.

People can't differentiate between "Islamic extremists", and "Arabic extremists".

There is no such thing as an "Islamic extremist".
If he's an "extremist", then he can't be "Islamic" you ignorant people. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Oh Lord, this thing is going to take a turn for the worst, I'm afraid. &gt;_&gt; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>People don't differentiate between extremists and terrorists. There are extremists in Christianity as well as Islam. And they are extremists. They take what they believe, and they take it to the next level. The do exactly as their holy books tell them and believe what they tell them to believe and disbelieve what they tell them not to believe with absolute certainty. Extremists are fundamentalists, in which they just cannot be argued with. You can't sway one, because the just know. As far as I'm concerned, if they follow the teachings of Islam, they are Muslim. If they follow the teachings of Christianity, then they are Christian, Judaism - Jews and so on and so forth. Some people just use their beliefs to justify certain actions. You may not agree with what they do, but your interpretation of your text is not the same as theirs, but they believe it every bit as much as you do, if not more.

Me, I hate extremists of all religions; they do nothing but hold us back and do us damage, and I think what they do is truly evil. I'd name specific groups which many of us know of and are probably a part of, but that would probably cross boundaries and get the thread closed.

ANYWAY, I am glad to see some good responses. I agree that UBISoft did good by not abiding to the strictest sense of political correctness. However, I remember, E3 2007 when we saw the scene with Talal; when Altair did that wierd conversation thing with him, Altair said:
"...beg forgiveness from your God."
To which Talal replied:
"There is no God, Hashashin. And if there one was, then he has long left this place."

Or something to that effect. That annoyed me in the game, not because I agreed with what he said to begin with, but because it sounded disjointed and out of place with that first part removed.
Anyone else notice this?

ScytheOfGrim
08-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Yeah, I noticed the last few lines of that conversation were removed.

And you have a point about extremists and terrorists, but what I said still stands.
While you may still consider them to be Muslims, despite their interpretation of the Holy Book and the teachings, I was speaking of the reality, and not the appearance.

Three men went to the Prophet Muhammed's (PbUH)house, in the hopes of learning from his lifestyle. The Prophet wasn't there, but his wife was. They asked his wife about the Prophet's actions, and how he lived. She told them that he was like any other man, he prayed, he fasted and he devoted himself to God.
The first man said, "Then I shall pray from sunrise to sunset."
The second said, "Then I shall fast forever more, never touching food or drink again."
The third said, "Then I shall not marry, and devote myself to none but God."

When the Prophet arrived, his wife told him of the men, and he grew angry. He called the men and spoke to them, he said, "I swear that I am the most pious man amongst you, but I still pray and rest, fast and eat, and marry."

Just an example of how "extremists" don't really exist in Islam.

The modern-day madmen you see running around... twisted thoughts and principles... disgusting people...