PDA

View Full Version : AB 250 AND 500 BOMBING

kampfjager31
10-12-2010, 04:26 AM
Can anyone tell me how to bomb with the ab bombs in il2, or do the bombs have some bugs?
I used them on a server, released ab250 at 500m,on a column of trucks,the bomblets sometime hit other time missed. Default a 3 second delay, does the delay need to be differly?

kampfjager31
10-12-2010, 04:26 AM
Can anyone tell me how to bomb with the ab bombs in il2, or do the bombs have some bugs?
I used them on a server, released ab250 at 500m,on a column of trucks,the bomblets sometime hit other time missed. Default a 3 second delay, does the delay need to be differly?

M_Gunz
10-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Works best with the Russian cassette bomblets, long delay and low height, low angle release they roll and spread until they hit the column vehicles which stops them in just the right place.

Bankoletti
10-12-2010, 09:52 AM
AB250 is a devastating weapon against tanks but it takes a lot of skill in order to achieve maximum effect since it's extremely hard to use. It works best against enemy armoured columns - you need to come fast, aligned to the column, flying as low as you can. Then, at the right moment, jerk the stick back and release the bomb. If you do it in a right moment, a narrow cone of bomblets will wipe out the column of 10, even 15 tanks. Setting timer to 0,5s worked best for me.

I think there's a difference between ingame AB-250 and AB-500 modelling - the latter is, if memory serves me well, filled with anti-personel bomblets which makes it useless versus armoured targets.

JG53Frankyboy
10-12-2010, 10:10 AM
actually the AB250 has SD2 splitter bomblets agaisnt softtargets and the AB500 SD4HL agaisnt armoured targets.....................
the "proplem" is that it looks like that these bomblets have almost (if at all) no blasteffect. so they have to hit a target directly - a matter of luck.
a SC250 or 500 can damage a lot with their blast !

speed and height is important, because as default it needs 3 sec after the AB is released that the AB is releasing the bomblets.
with bombdelay you set here the time of the bombletrelease, alwasy additional to the default 3 sec.

the rest you can read in you already opned topic on 1C forum.

ytareh
10-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Wow AB250 taking out 15 tanks!!!???In the past I believe the expression used would have been "Got track?!" Must try exactly what you describe but sounds incredible...The only practical use Ive ever heard the AB bombs being put to in game is that the AB1000 released from about 2km alt MAY take out a lot of planes on an airbase....but in my experience (maybe using wrong technique )they are very inconsistent at best and often downright useless...

bracknell1989
10-13-2010, 10:36 AM
They are outstanding against columns of motor transport. Just fly along the road and release it at the right time. They also work well against parked aircraft.

Of course they're not as great in the game as they were in real life as they were primarily for use against personnel.

Bankoletti
10-15-2010, 01:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
Wow AB250 taking out 15 tanks!!!???In the past I believe the expression used would have been "Got track?!" Must try exactly what you describe but sounds incredible... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, here's a track of me destroying 15 or so tanks, mostly T-34s with a single AB bomb. But, like frankyboy already pointed out, I mixed up AB250 and AB500 - it's done with an AB500, not with AB250. So, it can be a devastating antiarmour weapon, but only in certain circumstances (lots of armour crowded together, prefferably stretched along in a certain direction like along the road since the pattern the AB bomblets cover is an oval or a teardrop shape) plus it's pretty hard to use (requires a lot of skill to aim).

Track. (http://www.filefront.com/17392140/quick0134.ntrk)

ytareh
10-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Holy cow I wouldnt have believed that if I hadnt seen it with my own eyes ...AWESOME!!!

PanzerAce
10-16-2010, 07:30 PM
The other option (for the biggest AB) is to level or dive bomb and release ~6km up. Online, you'll be able to take out entire airfields that way (at the cost of taking awhile to get to alt...)

M_Gunz
10-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Is the delay for fuses of the bomblets or delay for the charge that scatters the bomblets which then explode on contact?

With Russian cassette it is delay on the bomblets which allows them to be rolled or skipped across ground in nice spread.