PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Find Your Airfield After Combat?

hmkim
01-07-2006, 09:27 AM
After the heat of the combat is over, I find it difficult to locate my friendly airfield. Am I missing soething?

hmkim
01-07-2006, 09:27 AM
After the heat of the combat is over, I find it difficult to locate my friendly airfield. Am I missing soething?

dieg777
01-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Hi - are you playing offfline? then use the map- default key m and depending what settings you have set up in difficulty then you should be able to see your aircraft (white) and black flight lines. You can expand the map by right clicking on it.
you can also use the radio to call the base for directions and then use compass to take you there.

see here for fuller explinations on these functions
http://airwarfare.com/mediawiki-1.4.5/index.php?title=Main_Page

look under section 12

If online then you will still have the map but host may limit what it displays so you may have to rely on compass headings.

good luck

shotdownski
01-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Gotta keep your bearings. I print a map of the area and try to locate landmarks. Apparently this was a problem in real life also, especially on the eastern front where good landmarks were few and far between.

I just read an old copy of a VVS directive addressing the problem of pilots getting lost and having to put down in the field. The VVS higher-ups placed the burden on the regiment navigation officers for not properly training or preparing the other pilots.

Kuna15
01-07-2006, 09:43 AM
After combat press TAB > 8 > 2. You will receive "Vector to home base". Check you compass gauge (your heading) and it will bring you home. Just don't fly too low because there is a chance that you will miss your base (fly by).

hmkim
01-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Now I got it. Thanks for the tips, guys! I could locate my airfield in PF without a big problem because it was easier to spot but had tons of problems in Russia.

voyager_663rd
01-07-2006, 10:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kuna15:
After combat press TAB &gt; 8 &gt; 2. You will receive "Vector to home base". Check you compass gauge (your heading) and it will bring you home. Just don't fly too low because there is a chance that you will miss your base (fly by). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good for online?

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Practice, practice, practice.

Navigating using only landmarks is considerably easier if you circle your home airfield as you climb out and take note of the landmarks as well as your heading. I wish there was a simpler solution (or an easy button so to speak) but the truth is, as you've apparently realized, paying close attention and frequently practicing are the best ways to become adept at aerial navigation.

TB

Heliopause
01-07-2006, 12:47 PM
e.g. :when you fly your way out in the beginning of the mission check position of the sun (at your 6 or 3 o'clock pos.). So when flying back later the sun should be at your 12 or 9 o'clock position resp. This is just a quick way of orientating. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif