PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Oleg: ships must be moving in dogfight missions!

JoaoMuas
04-11-2005, 07:35 PM
It´s the old story about AI in dogfight missions.

Level or dive bombing static ships is too much easy.

When we get flyable TBD´s, TBF´s and Kate´s (we´ll gonna get them don´t we?), it´s gonna be even easier to sink ships using torpedoes (as we can now with A-20´s or Beaufighter´s).

So, dogfight servers are becoming more and more atractive as we can now fly very realistic missions with all of the DF advantages, still... atacking a moving ship would add that extra feel, not mentioning landings and take-offs on moving CVs.

So, isn´t about time to get these AI issue solved?

(Anyway, I don´t know what sort of implications are involved in such thing, I´m sure it wouldn´t be easy, if not it would be adressed in past updates, I believe)

I love this sim. Thanks very much.

VW-IceFire
04-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Very unlikely to see any torpedo aircraft. The one we might see as a flyable will be the B6N Jill. All others have lack of info or problems with trademark issues.

We've been told that moving objects in dogfights is hard...was never coded from the ground up to work with moving objects. I hope to see that in BoB and future iterations...tanks, vehicles, ships...all could benenfit.

aipilotmarkone
04-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Online ai ship formations that loop between waypoints is a feature that I hope will be included in simutlations by 1C:Maddox. But I still love PF 3.04m.

Jetbuff
04-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Moving objects cannot be implemented online for the simple reason that their position needs to be updated to every client quite frequently... on a coop it's doable because everyone joins at the same time so you simply provide the start coordinates and waypoints and the objects follow them with minimal update. In a DF server on the other hand, you'd have to update them a lot more frequently because people will join at different times and you can't just use the start coordinates/route to keep tabs on where an object is supposed to be at any given time.

Long story short: DF moving objects = heaps of lag.

LEXX_Luthor
04-11-2005, 09:34 PM
I don't think ships dogfight.

Monson74
04-12-2005, 02:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jetbuff:
Moving objects cannot be implemented online for the simple reason that their position needs to be updated to every client quite frequently... on a coop it's doable because everyone joins at the same time so you simply provide the start coordinates and waypoints and the objects follow them with minimal update. In a DF server on the other hand, you'd have to update them a lot more frequently because people will join at different times and you can't just use the start coordinates/route to keep tabs on where an object is supposed to be at any given time.

Long story short: DF moving objects = heaps of lag. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But live players are updated too - so why not AI? Remember all those 3rd-party "bots" running about & shooting in HL a few years back? It's doable but maybe a matter of interest.

JoaoMuas
04-12-2005, 05:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Very unlikely to see any torpedo aircraft. The one we might see as a flyable will be the B6N Jill. All others have lack of info or problems with trademark issues. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now that is really bad news... I saw some development on the TBD, I thought it was only a matter of finishing the cockpit or something...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jetbuff:
Long story short: DF moving objects = heaps of lag. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I´m very sorry to hear that...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
I don't think ships dogfight. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, they will try to shoot you down for sure. But I´m talking about dogfight as it really happens nowadays; pilots don´t get into DF missions only to "dogfight" anymore. In most modern servers, powered by an application like FBD for example, there is a mission to acomplish, and that means strategy, tactics, team play and most of all much fun.
But ships standing still, they are just like sitting ducks, that´s all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Monson74:
But live players are updated too - so why not AI? Remember all those 3rd-party "bots" running about & shooting in HL a few years back? It's doable but maybe a matter of interest. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now, if that is so, there might be some hope...

Oleg?

LEXX_Luthor
04-12-2005, 05:18 AM
Ya the ships will try to shoot you down, usually they get a framerate kill. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mmm, we never thought FB would get New FM, so maybe Oleg could make the ships dogfight against the planes (my code slang for moving DF ships).

Just remember that Oleg told us the dogfight servers won't get moving ships, and we all said "okay oelg we don't mind."

WWSensei
04-12-2005, 05:52 AM
Technical reasons aside I think it won't be done for PF. I'm betting 4.0 will be the last patch for PF. Any new features you guys are asking for should be in thinking of BOB--not PF.

Troll2k
04-12-2005, 12:02 PM
So if you have moving objects and they get destroyed in the first 10 minutes the dedicated server starts running.What is left for those joining an hour after the server has been running?

ManicGibber
04-14-2005, 01:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Troll2k:
So if you have moving objects and they get destroyed in the first 10 minutes the dedicated server starts running.What is left for those joining an hour after the server has been running? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greatergreen usually loads a new map after the first 10 to 15 minutes, as the map has usually been won by 1 side in this time frame. Other servers I think the objects respawn after a certain length of time has past.

402Cdn.Valkyrie
04-14-2005, 09:34 AM
Well for servers like the UK-Dedicated that run maps with objektives on the maps cycly thru a line of maps that are set up, and the objektives are not always easy to do even with not moving objektives.
But getting them to move would be awsome, it would also be alot more for to bomb and attack tartets... to me is sounds like a GREAT idea.

About the lag: Well thats up to the plyers, people also say that carrier flak make lag, well maybe they just gotta set up their comp right...!?!
And for the part of getting it to work, well why not there gotta be some talented programmers out there. I know that the game is a closes thing but Oleg gotta have good programmrs to, so i see why not.