PDA

View Full Version : New to game, really enjoying it.

ricbar89
08-27-2007, 04:28 PM
I have had the game a few days now and am really loving it and am pretty addicted. I have a couple of questions though and was wondering if some so you veterans can help.

BTW im playing at 38% realism.

The first is technical, I have a small problem, it was a big problem but managed to sort it out mostly. When I first got the game after playing for a while I began it get a fusing noise really load, like a untuned TV with the volume up, it would suddenly cut in. I think it usually came in if certain noises of specific ships were played, or a certain event were to happen like a convoy in the same area as me. So I downloaded a driver update for my sound card and it worked mostly, it still get the same problems at the same times but now I just get crackling coming out of the speakers which is really annoying! But no where near as bad.

Can anyone help me with this I would really appreciate it alot.

Now on to the game, my main concern is aircraft. There becoming a treat the more I play into my career and I need an answer about my reaction to them.....

If I am attacked do I dive or fight? I mean I have been instantly crash diving and suddenly changing course, this loses them quick but it risky they bomb the living **** out of me? Should I stay and engage on coming planes then dive im unsure.

Also can anyone recommend some good patrol areas?

Between Wales and Ireland and in the Bristol Channel area seems to be a great place. Also is there any good ports for me to attack, I haven't done that in career mode yet, looking for lots of tonnage.

ricbar89
08-27-2007, 04:28 PM
I have had the game a few days now and am really loving it and am pretty addicted. I have a couple of questions though and was wondering if some so you veterans can help.

BTW im playing at 38% realism.

The first is technical, I have a small problem, it was a big problem but managed to sort it out mostly. When I first got the game after playing for a while I began it get a fusing noise really load, like a untuned TV with the volume up, it would suddenly cut in. I think it usually came in if certain noises of specific ships were played, or a certain event were to happen like a convoy in the same area as me. So I downloaded a driver update for my sound card and it worked mostly, it still get the same problems at the same times but now I just get crackling coming out of the speakers which is really annoying! But no where near as bad.

Can anyone help me with this I would really appreciate it alot.

Now on to the game, my main concern is aircraft. There becoming a treat the more I play into my career and I need an answer about my reaction to them.....

If I am attacked do I dive or fight? I mean I have been instantly crash diving and suddenly changing course, this loses them quick but it risky they bomb the living **** out of me? Should I stay and engage on coming planes then dive im unsure.

Also can anyone recommend some good patrol areas?

Between Wales and Ireland and in the Bristol Channel area seems to be a great place. Also is there any good ports for me to attack, I haven't done that in career mode yet, looking for lots of tonnage.

ricbar89
08-27-2007, 06:08 PM
O yea and can someone explain how to use the radio to track other ships?

Thanks

PhantomKira
08-27-2007, 11:51 PM
I will answer a bit of your question after this, but first, where did you manage to get this game just a few days ago? As in what part of the world? I was using a friends, and he moved, so I'm looking for my own copy now...

Can't help with the technical problem...

AIRCRAFT

You are wise to be concerned about aircraft. They can do a lot of damage. Tactically, for me reaction depends on specific situation.

In a nutshell, if you want to live, dive. If you want kills, stay and fight.

Crash dive and change course as you are doing unless you absolutely must stay surfaced. They bomb the last place they saw you, so if you dive fast enough, and change course once under, they will bomb the heck out of empty ocean. The in game weather is such that it seems you can't man the guns half the time anyway. Also, I've lost my Anti Aircraft guns to depth charges a number of times since they are fragile, but rather them than my U-boat and crew (sometimes they survive, while the guns get obliterated).

If you want to play as the real men did it, play to survive, not to rack up kills. This means diving at the first hint of an aircraft, particularly after 1940, since it's most likely enemy. The only time you should stay on the surface is if you are caught in shallow water, making diving impractical or impossible.

Should you do plan to stay on the surface and fight, I would recomend against doing so until you get the dual machine guns (C-30 Zwilling), at a minimum. The single just doesn't have the firepower to bring down much more than a Swordfish, and it's just plain too dangerous considering the amount of damage they can do to you. Once you get the Second Type VIIB or Type VIIC tower, however, you will have slightly better odds, due to larger numbers of Anti-Aircraft guns. Also, change course often to prevent becoming a predictable target. Remember, once a bomb leaves the aircraft, it can't be steared anymore.

Personally, if I plan to stay on the surface and fight, I like the VIIC/2 or /3 Tower. The /3 has the added advantage of the C/30 3.7cm (37mm) gun, but it has a slow rate of fire and is not very effective in the stock game. I prefer the C/38 Vierling, quad 20mm mount, since the 20mm weapons seem to be far more effective against aircraft.

It also depends on the number and type of aircraft attacking. If you use external view to find out how many and what type of aircraft are on their way, that can influence your decision. One aircraft is usually easy prey, while more than one is difficult to survive. Also the smaller ones carry fewer bombs, and are less likely to kill you with a single pass.

One more thing with aircraft: they can detect radar signals, as can Allied combat ships. Using radar gives away your position. Even if you have radar, I recomend against using it unless you must. Then again, 360 degree radar does give you very slightly more warning of an attack, giving you an extra 5-10 seconds or so to dive.

PATROL AREAS

Well, lets see...

My favorites:

The bay west of England and east of Ireland

The channel between the islands on the Northwest coast of England, and the island itself.

Not sure of the grid numbers or name, but an area in the eastern North Atlantic where it gets really shallow, several main convoy routes pass right by the area.

Northern coast of South America.

Others:

Entire eastern seaboard of the U.S. Usually singles, and a few small convoys passing up and down the coast.

I've heard that Freetown, South Africa has some good hunting, but have given up on the area myself.

Outside any major port in the game (New York, Halifax, Liverpool...) (Sit and wait, and listen with hydrophones.)

There is another set of convoy routes that resupplyed the USSR. They are to the north off the map grid. You'll need a chart to find them I suspect, although try staying near the north coast of Norway to pick up some of the arctic routes for convoy PQ-17 and the like.

I'm sure there are other's I can't think of at the moment.

PORT RAIDING

Port raiding can be (is) dangerous, and I have found it to be hit or miss with only moderate gains. Many Small merchants, the occasional T-2, and a rare C-3 or T-3. Mostly not worth the risk. If you want the big fish (T-3s, T-2s, C-3s, etc) go after convoys in the open ocean.

The above assumes Stock game with Patch 1.4.

Hope it helps.

WilhelmSchulz.
08-28-2007, 12:42 AM
Im glad to see people are still buying the game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BTW: the hissing sound is a bug.

AtlantikEel
08-28-2007, 04:12 AM
Welcome to the community, ricbar89!

During the first six months of the war, Hartlepool on the Eastern side of England is reasonably good for port raiding, there is almost always a T2 tanker there at least; after that, the defenses get stronger.

After you get used to the stock game (patch up to 1.4 as soon as possible), you might want to download one of the supermods .... then you'll really be amazed!
(I'm running GWX 1.03, with the open hatch mod -- which with "pericorrect" moves the observation periscope to it's proper postion inside the controlroom -- and Racerboy's exhaust smoke mod and flag mod....among others).
Even if you don't get one of the supermods, do download one of the music mods for the gramophone .... there's nothing like hearing period music, for real immersion!

ricbar89
08-28-2007, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the reply, i live in Bratain and got the game from Play.com for 8. I dont know if that helps....

last night something very strange happend. I was ordered to patrol an area in the north sea, right at the top but could not get anything so i thought i would have a go at a port raid. there a small port u an number of small channels on the west coast of Norway so i headed in land. When i finally got to the port there were no ships there, but i band playing, as if it was the port i had left? Then in the port it semded to glitch and i crashed sort of half outa the water and died!! It said abandon game! I thought "WHAT? Im the second best uboat capting in Germany for gods sake you gotta be jocking!" So i alt + F4 and its ok, but i have lost the days i was on patrol! i like the career system it used but i guess your screewed is something screws up. I knida feel like a cheat now.

Im guessing that port becomes a German uboat base later on, kinda weird though wasnt expecting a welcoming party at an enemy port like that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif!

BTI i have no mods and its fully patched.

Carotio
08-28-2007, 06:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WilhelmSchulz.:
BTW: the hissing sound is a bug. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which strangely also appears in SH4 at my pc...

And more strange, it never happened on my old pc, though I use the same sound card (I just moved it to the new pc).

CapitanPiluso
08-28-2007, 10:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhantomKira:
I will answer a bit of your question after this, but first, where did you manage to get this game just a few days ago? As in what part of the world? I was using a friends, and he moved, so I'm looking for my own copy now...

Can't help with the technical problem...

AIRCRAFT

You are wise to be concerned about aircraft. They can do a lot of damage. Tactically, for me reaction depends on specific situation.

In a nutshell, if you want to live, dive. If you want kills, stay and fight.

Crash dive and change course as you are doing unless you absolutely must stay surfaced. They bomb the last place they saw you, so if you dive fast enough, and change course once under, they will bomb the heck out of empty ocean. The in game weather is such that it seems you can't man the guns half the time anyway. Also, I've lost my Anti Aircraft guns to depth charges a number of times since they are fragile, but rather them than my U-boat and crew (sometimes they survive, while the guns get obliterated).

If you want to play as the real men did it, play to survive, not to rack up kills. This means diving at the first hint of an aircraft, particularly after 1940, since it's most likely enemy. The only time you should stay on the surface is if you are caught in shallow water, making diving impractical or impossible.

Should you do plan to stay on the surface and fight, I would recomend against doing so until you get the dual machine guns (C-30 Zwilling), at a minimum. The single just doesn't have the firepower to bring down much more than a Swordfish, and it's just plain too dangerous considering the amount of damage they can do to you. Once you get the Second Type VIIB or Type VIIC tower, however, you will have slightly better odds, due to larger numbers of Anti-Aircraft guns. Also, change course often to prevent becoming a predictable target. Remember, once a bomb leaves the aircraft, it can't be steared anymore.

Personally, if I plan to stay on the surface and fight, I like the VIIC/2 or /3 Tower. The /3 has the added advantage of the C/30 3.7cm (37mm) gun, but it has a slow rate of fire and is not very effective in the stock game. I prefer the C/38 Vierling, quad 20mm mount, since the 20mm weapons seem to be far more effective against aircraft.

It also depends on the number and type of aircraft attacking. If you use external view to find out how many and what type of aircraft are on their way, that can influence your decision. One aircraft is usually easy prey, while more than one is difficult to survive. Also the smaller ones carry fewer bombs, and are less likely to kill you with a single pass.

One more thing with aircraft: they can detect radar signals, as can Allied combat ships. Using radar gives away your position. Even if you have radar, I recomend against using it unless you must. Then again, 360 degree radar does give you very slightly more warning of an attack, giving you an extra 5-10 seconds or so to dive.

PATROL AREAS

Well, lets see...

My favorites:

The bay west of England and east of Ireland

The channel between the islands on the Northwest coast of England, and the island itself.

Not sure of the grid numbers or name, but an area in the eastern North Atlantic where it gets really shallow, several main convoy routes pass right by the area.

Northern coast of South America.

Others:

Entire eastern seaboard of the U.S. Usually singles, and a few small convoys passing up and down the coast.

I've heard that Freetown, South Africa has some good hunting, but have given up on the area myself.

Outside any major port in the game (New York, Halifax, Liverpool...) (Sit and wait, and listen with hydrophones.)

There is another set of convoy routes that resupplyed the USSR. They are to the north off the map grid. You'll need a chart to find them I suspect, although try staying near the north coast of Norway to pick up some of the arctic routes for convoy PQ-17 and the like.

I'm sure there are other's I can't think of at the moment.

PORT RAIDING

Port raiding can be (is) dangerous, and I have found it to be hit or miss with only moderate gains. Many Small merchants, the occasional T-2, and a rare C-3 or T-3. Mostly not worth the risk. If you want the big fish (T-3s, T-2s, C-3s, etc) go after convoys in the open ocean.

The above assumes Stock game with Patch 1.4.

Hope it helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Phantom, I got SH3 on Ebay some months ago for U$S10 plus U$S10 shipping ( I m in buenos Aires)
the best purchase I ever made http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

PhantomKira
08-28-2007, 11:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Im guessing that port becomes a German uboat base later on </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You guess it! Without knowing which port you are refering to I can't say 100%, but almost certainly Bergen, Norway? If it's Patch 1.4 I think that's the only U-boat base in Norway. It's been a while... I miss SH3 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Speaking of that, thanks, guys, for answering the "where did you come across it?" question. I figured I'd probably have to go internet hunting for it at this point. Grrr. Not my first choice, but then, I'm the one who didn't get it in person when I could have.

Many a night gone to SH3, CaptainP, many a night!

Foehammer-1
08-28-2007, 04:24 PM
In my last patrol report, I sailed into Brest while it was still RED! Guess what, there were no defenses at all, and a BAND WAS PLAYING!! It was an ENEMY port!! Helloo??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

As for hunting grounds, check out a page of a cummonity manual HERE (http://www.mysh3.info/shiii/index.php?title=Hunting_Grounds)

geoffwessex
08-28-2007, 05:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ricbar89:
O yea and can someone explain how to use the radio to track other ships?

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you can't use the radio to track anything. (I know I should be able to DF a radio transmission, but I am sure SH3 with or without mods does not cover it).

Later in the war, you get radar and that can be used to give bearings, but it will alert enemy ships to your presence - it was of use only in deep fog or in total darkness when you know you've got a contact nearby but can't see it.

You will also be able to passively DF radar transmissions, which will give you early warning of approaching enemy aircraft - looking for YOU! So if you get warning of radar transmissions, dive.

ricbar89
08-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Wow I just had hell of a patrol!

I managed to retrieve my career back to just after my last proper patrol and carry on as normal, and so left for patrol. I was ordered to patrol between England and Ireland but decided to make my way there via Scotland, all the way round. On my way sunk a little merchant with me deck gun, avoided a lot of planes near Scapa Flow and entered the Atlantic, when a huge storm began! I though "great now I wont be able to find anything" when a get a message of a convoy, I hadn't attacked a convoy in my career yet so I though I would have a go at looking for it. I get updates and plot an interception course. And I was lucky, the weather cleared up a bit, still rough but just enough visibility for me to spot a single destroyer 3800m away. I was parallel to the convoy and just close enough to spot it. So I swung around coming in a perfect 90*, that destroyer I spotted was the only thing protecting it! I attacked the convoy moving in slowly all the time. I managed to sink 2 T3 tankers, and to small/coastal merchants, and heavily damage a T2 merchant. I was chuffed that I was able to do it so well with the destroyer coming no where near me. The only downside was that one of the tankers was US. The next day I was then able to sink a lone T3 merchant.

It was great, I now you experienced players have done it loads of times but im really enjoying this game...

I have a few new questions to.

If a radio a contact report will friendly aircraft/ships ever turn up?

Are there and historical ship in certain places at certain times, in a port or something.

Will operations happen? like if I go to the English channel during Dunkirk will there be a large increase in ships and planes?

geoffwessex
08-28-2007, 07:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ricbar89:

I have a few new questions to.

Are there and historical ship in certain places at certain times, in a port or something.

Will operations happen? like if I go to the English channel during Dunkirk will there be a large increase in ships and planes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All the above can happen if you use War Aces Campaign (WAC) or GWX mods. I think the first one (aircraft assistance) can happen in the stock game, but I never saw it. There's another small mod, called SH General (I think) that provides 'up to date' intelligence.

ricbar89
08-28-2007, 08:11 PM
If i was going to play with a mod i would like one that just has these things as my pc isnt to great....

BTW is there icebergs in the un modded?

PhantomKira
08-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Aircraft "Assistance" (Should you wish to call it that) does exist in Stock 1.4. This "Assistance" is in the form of "Helping... otherwise known as hindering". They show up, bomb all the big ships, sink any you may have managed to damage, and leave you with the small fry. Kill stealers is all they are. I never call them anymore.

AtlantikEel
08-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Quote: (Originally posted by ricbar89)

Will operations happen? like if I go to the English channel during Dunkirk will there be a large increase in ships and planes?[/QUOTE]

I was once saved from depth charging in the English Channel by two Stukas [they're not always kill stealers] that sank the destroyer attacking me; this was in GWX 1.03 during the open phase of the Battle of Britain, so the planes are there at historically correct moments.
I also reported a convoy SW of Ireland, and shortly thereafter it was bombed by JU88's; so the Luftwaffe will respond to your reports provided bases are near enough.
Also there are whole German and British task forces and submarines all over the North Sea during the invasion of Norway.
If your PC will handle GWX, get it!

PhantomKira
08-29-2007, 12:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I was once saved from depth charging in the English Channel by two Stukas [they're not always kill stealers] that sank the destroyer attacking me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point. I stand corrected. Having never had them do something useful, I'd forgotten that others have.

AtlantikEel
08-29-2007, 01:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhantomKira:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I was once saved from depth charging in the English Channel by two Stukas [they're not always kill stealers] that sank the destroyer attacking me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point. I stand corrected. Having never had them do something useful, I'd forgotten that others have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After that one, I'll never curse the Luftwaffe again! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sdcruz
08-29-2007, 04:33 AM
Hi

Does the Luftuffe come and help you in the stock 1.4 v of the game or do i need to apply the mods?

ricbar89
08-29-2007, 05:43 AM
Ok, thanks for the answers everyone.

I, curious about a few other things. One of them being torpedoes. I have been using the older of the two choices at this point in the war (april 1940) as I think there much better, I mean they can travel slow, medium and fast, they don't have a problem keeping the right depth, they have a longer range, and they hardly ever misfire...

So whats the point of the newer one, they can only travel slow, often misfire, don't go as far, and are meant to have depth keeping problems. I don't trust them? Are they more powerful? Should I avoid using them?

Also I want to know if there are icebergs, mines and anti sub nets and where can they be found.

Also if there any mods that add operations without changing the stock game?

And what's this commander mod I keep hearing about, it like everyone has it.

And about the Grey Wolves expansion, my specs are:

AMD Athlon 2500+ 1.8gigs
1 gig of ram
128 NVIDIA quadro fx

Can my pc handle it?

Foehammer-1
08-29-2007, 11:28 AM
TII electric torpedo is useless pretty much anywhere. I use TI's until a much-improved TIII electrics come into play. Electrics do not leave a trail of bubbles which will let a ship know you are shooting at it.

Yes, icebergs are out there, but in the stock game they don't show up on hydrophone, and the watch crew doesn't spot them either. In GWX they shop up on hydrophones. I've only seen one iceberg in stock game, in the Arctic.
Sub nets are in most enemy ports. There aren't nearly as many as in real life, but they are out there. Try Loch Ewe. There is a small island in the channel. There is a net in the narrower part between that island and the mainland. Also, there is one stretching from the docks, making it almost impossible to enter the place behind the docks (not that you need to do it anyway).
Mines are found in the Channel near ports like Portsmouth. In GWX, there are lots more everywhere.

You need WAC. If you don;t want the whole thing, just take out the Campaign folder out of it and replace the original one with it. Save a backup tho. BE WARNED! It causes crashes randomly, I guess due to the fact that many new ships are scripted to sail places, but you didn't install them.

Commander is awesome. It lets you tweak a lot of things, give yourself a patrol grid you want, and set different number of days spent at base (so you don't waste 28 days while refueling in the middle of the ocean...)

I don't think you can run GWX on 128MB video card. At least I can't http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Edit: and yes, the Luftwaffe comes in stock game. I've only seen them in the Arctic, close to Bergen tho

AtlantikEel
08-29-2007, 12:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sdcruz:
Hi

Does the Luftuffe come and help you in the stock 1.4 v of the game or do i need to apply the mods? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, they do respond in stock. Check this thread:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/857101043/m/9591050685

PhantomKira
08-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Other places I've seen the Luftwaffe, in addition to the aformentioned Northern Norway/Arctic areas (Ju-88s, Focke-Wulf 200 Condors:

Ju-87 Stukas Southeast of Denmark (sailing from Kiel)

FW200 Condors, Ju-88s, Ju-87 Stukas In the English Channel

FW200 Condors, Ju-88s Over SW England, in the area of the large bay between western England and Ireland.

ricbar89
08-29-2007, 07:33 PM
What about the War Aces mod, it doen not seem to change that much of the game only add new stuff....

Can my PC handle it?