PDA

View Full Version : The SM 79...

aukieboy
03-01-2006, 08:30 AM
I don't know what the future will bring to Il-2 and pacific fighters... I sincerely hope that Oleg and crew will keep working on new planes for this wonderfull collection of WWII aircraft as soon as BoB starts to materialize a little more, because there so many great planes to add (in actual fact it never stops)
In relation to the brandnew Mc200/202 of patch 4.03 (which are really great): what about the SM 79, that weird looking triple engine beauty?

and what about the P-61 black widow and the fairey Swordfish (already discussed lately)

Should we ask more? Maybe not, but we can hope for it and fly happily ever after!
Aukieboy

aukieboy
03-01-2006, 08:30 AM
I don't know what the future will bring to Il-2 and pacific fighters... I sincerely hope that Oleg and crew will keep working on new planes for this wonderfull collection of WWII aircraft as soon as BoB starts to materialize a little more, because there so many great planes to add (in actual fact it never stops)
In relation to the brandnew Mc200/202 of patch 4.03 (which are really great): what about the SM 79, that weird looking triple engine beauty?

and what about the P-61 black widow and the fairey Swordfish (already discussed lately)

Should we ask more? Maybe not, but we can hope for it and fly happily ever after!
Aukieboy

PBNA-Boosher
03-01-2006, 08:37 AM
No, you shouldn't ask for more, we already have more than 120 flyable planes, that's more than any other game and we should be thankful we have what we have! I'll stop shoving things down your throat, but here are some reasons:

-No more new models are going to be accepted by Oleg. He's going to finish what he has right now, or at least, that is the general consensus around here.

-SM.79 was already being modeled, I have no idea what happened to it, but I think it died.

-We cannot make the P-61 BW because Northrop's lawyers would sue Oleg.

-The Swordfish was being modeled, but for all I know, that project died too.

If we can't fly happily ever after with what we have now, I don't think we ever can, no matter how many planes we get, will we? It always seems that no matter how good Oleg is to us, we all start whining about a week after each new patch.

aukieboy
03-01-2006, 08:49 AM
Oh well don't get me wrong here man, I AM very thankful for what Oleg has done!
Because I will keep flying this sim anyway and I will be a for sure buyer of BoB too ...wether they add more planes or not...

I am just a dreamer and it's just too beautiful to not to mention some aircraft

Here's what I do with Il2/PF as well, enjoy it:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e35/Aukieboy/USSLexingtonunderA6Mattack.jpg

a clear answer at least from your part, thanks!
Auk

ImpStarDuece
03-01-2006, 02:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aukieboy:

Aukieboy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. The SM 79 was completed as an AI only bomber and submitted to Oleg and the 1C crew just after the 3rd party models submission cut off. From what I understand the model was complete, but no-one on the forums really knows whether it made it in or not. It hasn't been mentioned by Oleg in any of his lists of future planes for the sim.

2. The P-61 was modelled by PlaneEater very early on in Pacific Fighters development. I am unsure of the reason it wasn't included in the sim, as the model looked reasonably complete and PlaneEater was reimbursed for his work. It didn't proceed any further than the basic model though. The texturer was told that a combination of copyright problems and an inability to mimic radar in the game meant that the model was dead.

3. The Swordfish was started in a rush attempt to get the model submitted before the Apirl, 2005 cut of date for submissions. Unfortunatley, even though they got it partially completed, there wasn't enough time to complete it before the cut-off. Pinggu was involved in the development I think.

Stigler_9_JG52
03-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Well, truth is, you CAN fly a Sparviero, if you just know where to look for it...

Enthor1
03-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Vacation's over already?

PlaneEater
03-02-2006, 07:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:
The P-61 was modelled by PlaneEater very early on in Pacific Fighters development. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And midway through, and later, and right at the end. And some after that, too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am unsure of the reason it wasn't included in the sim, as the model looked reasonably complete </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bad lawyers. ::spit::

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and PlaneEater was reimbursed for his work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It didn't proceed any further than the basic model though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it did. I damn near sold my soul to finish it in time to ship with the game, then when other things prevented that, I busted my *** to fix problems for it to go in the first patch. All LODs, shadow, and damage layers were finished, UVW mapped, and extensive references on performance and internal layout. Not perfect, but 95% ready.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The texturer was told that a combination of copyright problems and an inability to mimic radar in the game meant that the model was dead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who? I never had a dedicated texture artist working with me on it.

The model is only 'dead' until Oleg tells me otherwise. As soon as he or somebody with similar authority says so, I'll go right back to doing whatever is necessary to get it in the game--PF, BoB, or otherwise.

NAFP_supah
03-03-2006, 02:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stigler_9_JG52:
Well, truth is, you CAN fly a Sparviero, if you just know where to look for it... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Feel free to go there and never return, spammer. I am getting really tired of your constant targetware spam.

ImpStarDuece
03-04-2006, 11:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The texturer was told that a combination of copyright problems and an inability to mimic radar in the game meant that the model was dead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who? I never had a dedicated texture artist working with me on it.

The model is only 'dead' until Oleg tells me otherwise. As soon as he or somebody with similar authority says so, I'll go right back to doing whatever is necessary to get it in the game--PF, BoB, or otherwise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did a quick search at SimHq and saw a post by GoodWood that he was in line to do the P-61 textures.

Maybe I missunderstood his post then?

PlaneEater
03-05-2006, 10:48 PM
There were a number of people who were (almost) onboard at one point or another, and I vaguely remember Goodwood being one of them. The chaos of that project meant 'onboard' amounted to:
"You want to?"
"Sure."
Confusion ensues, repeat with next texture artist.

Legalville, corporate arm-twisting and gag orders aside, the P-61 simply did not get along well with the model format or the IL-2 engine in general, from my understanding of it (based on sparse explinations, poorly relayed by those who know the engine better).

It was very difficult to properly build the shapes of the aircraft while simultaneously not omitting smaller but crucial details (cockpit parts, antennas, greebles, etc), and staying under the inflexible polycout.

A twin-boom, twin-radial engine, organicly curved aircraft with four-bladed paddle props, spoilerons plus ailerons, four-piece doors for each gear bay, a blister turret, and complex, curving greenhouse canopy glassing at both ends simply wasn't possible in a usable form that still met the modeling demands I was dictated. It'd be a perfect fit, however, for BoB.

In addition, the Widow had lots of peculiarities, radar being the big one, that IL-2 was never set up to handle. All three crew members (in practice, just two) can control one turret. It has ailerons and spoilerons, both of which control roll--but they aren't connected. The gear has to be extended before the crew can bail out (this one really baffled Luthier). Luthier & co. more or less didn't know what the hell to make of the thing.

IL-2 was made to handle a low, slow, single-engine, average aircraft. Now, I'm willing to put as much time as is necessary to make The P-61 fly, if someone keeps N-G out, but Oleg and the gang has to want to, too. So, wait for BoB:Pacific, I guess.

darkhorizon11
03-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Its funny how this thread started out with a generally lesser known Italian bomber used mostly in the Med. and North Africa and moved to little better known high powered bomber/recon plane that fought 10,000 miles away over Japan in 1945...

Anyways, I'd like to thank you for your dedication plane-eater most people would have been pissed off and given Oleg and 1c some four letter words (not that its really there fault)... your patience amazes me.
I hope you didn't get burnt out we might need you on some other models for BoB. I saw the WIP of the Widow and she did/does look gorgeous! You definitely got some talent.

Thanks again, and I hope to see some of your work in the sequel. In fact I think the least 1c could do is for everyone who submit third party stuff for the games whether it be FB, PF, AEP or anything a free copy of BoB when it comes out!

Gibbage1
03-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Ya. The P-61 was a real btch with IL2's limits. Even I threw my hat in to help at the last moment till Ilya told me it was not going to go, so dont bother helping. The Northrup/Grumman thing nixed the project big-time. Even after that, PE still put a good bit of work into the "dead" model after that all happened.

PlaneEater
03-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks, darkhorizon. I can't honestly say I didn't say some pretty crass stuff, but at least I didn't type them. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'd be thrilled to death to build something for BoB, but I doubt Oleg would ask me to.

I think I got what some of us nicknamed 'modeler leprosy' As in, I've gotten the impression on this end that the IL-2 team really doesn't want to have anything to do with me anymore model-wise.

I hope that isn't the case (and all they have to do is say otherwise and I'll gladly dig back in on whatever they want me to build), but I wouldn't be the first or last, unfortunately.

As for a free copy of BoB, I'll buy mine. The team deserves the money.