PDA

View Full Version : How were Assassins actually identified in Medieval Times?

Veagor
07-29-2009, 03:27 AM
Hey everyone. So recently I got a assignment where I have to write a short story about Medieval Times. The time period is pretty much exactly the same as the first Assassins Creed. Now, for some reason I can only think of a story with an assassin (I can't think why...) and I haven't found much about them. So my question(s) are:
How were Assassins identified in Medieval Times(is the hood what they actually used)?
Did the work and for the King, and if so were their faces known?
How did they receive news of their assassination?
How were they treated by guards (again, is they worked for the King)?
How much would the receive for payment?
What did you have to do to be assassinated or what type of King would hire a Assassin for the lowest offence?
If there is any more I'll add it
Thanks

Veagor
07-29-2009, 03:27 AM
Hey everyone. So recently I got a assignment where I have to write a short story about Medieval Times. The time period is pretty much exactly the same as the first Assassins Creed. Now, for some reason I can only think of a story with an assassin (I can't think why...) and I haven't found much about them. So my question(s) are:
How were Assassins identified in Medieval Times(is the hood what they actually used)?
Did the work and for the King, and if so were their faces known?
How did they receive news of their assassination?
How were they treated by guards (again, is they worked for the King)?
How much would the receive for payment?
What did you have to do to be assassinated or what type of King would hire a Assassin for the lowest offence?
If there is any more I'll add it
Thanks

Xanatos2007
07-29-2009, 03:50 AM
I just know that they were a group of mercenaries who were hired by both factions (Crusaders and Saracens) to take out specific targets, but they did occasionally perform their own assassinations. They had 'sleeper' agents posted throughout the cities, dormant assassins in different disguises ready to attack an individual if the order came through, making the Assassins a fearful enemy ("they could be hiding anywhere omg!" type thing). They had their own style of daggers, and preffered stabbing and strangulation as means of assassination.

Edengoth
07-29-2009, 03:56 AM
Let's not forget the origins of their name. It is commonly believed that they use hash before their missions in order to give them less fear of death so they could get their target with confidence.

moqqy
07-29-2009, 04:02 AM
They were only identified after the assassination had happened.. as they were almost the only ones using this type of assassination and the target might have been warned beforehand.

They didn't work for any king, they "worked for" their spiritual leader. Their faces weren't known.

What do you mean, how did they receive news of their assassination? You mean how did they know who to assassinate? Their leader told them the target(s).

Guards killed them on sight or captured them for some good ol' torturing.

They didn't receive any payment, they usually died straight after the assassination.

Usually you had to threaten the assassins' country to be assassinated. Offending their religion and killing people who belong to it also wasn't such a good idea.. especially if you were known for it.

They weren't for hire.

And Edengoth is incorrect, they are not commonly believed to have been hash users. That is a false myth spread by Marco Polo.

Veagor
07-29-2009, 04:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by moqqy:
What do you mean, how did they receive news of their assassination? You mean how did they know who to assassinate? Their leader told them the target(s).

And Edengoth is incorrect, they are not commonly believed to have been hash users. That is a false myth spread by Marco Polo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but how would they know that their leader had to tell them about a target.

And isn't the word Assassin taken from the word Hashashin which was that name given to them because they used Hash?

And thanks for the other info, helped.

moqqy
07-29-2009, 04:49 AM
Ah, that's what you mean. Well, the assassins had these mini-countries. So they lived in communities, it was easy to get the word to anyone. The assassins themselves (the ones who did the deed) were called fida'i, and there were at least a few of them around the leader in the fortress.

The word assassin comes from hashashin but that's a word that was NOT used of them by any of the muslim historians or well.. any muslim at all. They were called the hashashin by some of their ENEMIES. But only the ignorant Christians used that word, as they couldn't believe the assassins would have done such suicide missions without the use of drugs.

"Hashashin" basically meant outcast/outlaw when they were called with such name. Someone probably called them "outlaws" and the Christians thought it meant hashish users.. they couldn't believe someone would do these suicide assassinations without using drugs. And by the 20th century "hashashin"'s meaning changed to a noisy person.

Xanatos2007
07-29-2009, 04:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They weren't for hire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes they were...

"The Hashshashin were often motivated by outsiders. Richard the Lionheart was among those suspected of commissioning the assassination of Conrad of Montferrat. In most cases they were aimed at retaining the balance of the Hashshashin's enemies." - Wikipedia

They did perform 'hits', although money was not their primary motivation.

moqqy
07-29-2009, 04:54 AM
Motivated =/= hired.

Also note "suspected of" and "Wikipedia".

Wikipedia is FULL of BS about the assassins. And the hit on Conrad was most probably done by Richard's own men, having nothing to do with the assassins. That's where all the evidence points.

So, any more examples of their "hits"?

Xanatos2007
07-29-2009, 04:57 AM
I posted a few somewhere... can't remember where though. Anyway, it seems likely. If you were going to remove an enemy and someone offered you money for it, why wouldn't you take it? Seems like a good bonus.

Got it: "The bishop had already eaten, so Conrad returned home. On his way, he was attacked by two Hashshashin, who stabbed him at least twice in the side and back. His guards killed one of his attackers and captured the other. It is not certain how long Conrad survived. Some sources claimed he died at the scene of the attack, or in a nearby church, within a very short time. Richard's chroniclers claimed that he was taken home, received the last rites, and urged Isabella to give the city over only to Richard or his representative: this death-bed scene is open to doubt. He was buried in Tyre, in the Church of the Hospitallers. "The Frankish marquis, the ruler of Tyre, and the greatest devil of all the Franks, Conrad of Montferrat — God damn him! — was killed," wrote Ibn al-Athir. Certainly, the loss of a potentially formidable king was a blow to the kingdom. He was about 46 or 47 at the time of his death.

The murder remains unsolved. Under torture, the surviving Hashshashin claimed that Richard was behind the killing, though this is impossible to prove."

moqqy
07-29-2009, 04:59 AM
Because they weren't assassins for hire, that's why. They weren't mercenaries. It's like asking a formula driver to drive over someone in their free time.. hey, I'll pay you for it! Why wouldn't you do it? It's a nice bonus!

And also, they had their hands full without making any new enemies.

BTW, that story of yours.. they were never proved to be "hashashins".. so replace that word with "assassin" and you've got it.

UchihaKarasu
07-29-2009, 08:07 AM
This some information on the Assassins straight from Ubisoft. The source is a booklet called "The Making of Assassin's Creed" and this segment is from a chapter that talks about the original Assassins and how they kind of tied it in with the AC game.

The main character, Altair, is a member of the Hashshashin, an organized group responsible for multiple assassinations during the Crusades period period, historically based on Masyaf-Altair's base. One of the vows of the Hashshashin was never to harm innocent people (this was also a vow of the Saracens), which is why in Assassin's Creed you will see your health deteriorate if you end up hurting a bystander in the game. The Hashshashin preferred to use weapons such as swords. These were perceived to be honest, although often assassins would wear a disguise. Members of the Hashshashin were against the use of poisons, bows, or any other weapon that would allow the attacker to kill somebody and slip away quietly. You can see how annoyed Altair becomes when a character uses poison. Indeed, for the Hashshashin, murder was a system and it would be carried out in as efficient a manner as possible, without affecting the innocent or creating unwanted casualties. Victims, however, would typically be slayed in public just as in the game-this would help the group cultivate a terrifying reputation and it was not uncommon (in fact, it was common) for people to be killed in mosques. Suicide was not an option but fighting in the Janna style was. This would involves grappling and low-kicks.

The rest kind of goes on to explain your targets. Anyway, just info that Ubi had learned.
Oh, and AC was first envisioned my Patrice when he read the book Alamut.

godsmack_darius
07-29-2009, 08:35 AM
Did the Hashshashin ever escape their afte an Assassination?

And I heard that they infiltrated the Saracems and left a note on Saladins pillow when he woke up along with a knife

UchihaKarasu
07-29-2009, 08:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by godsmack_darius:
Did the Hashshashin ever escape their afte an Assassination?

And I heard that they infiltrated the Saracems and left a note on Saladins pillow when he woke up along with a knife </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES! And they left Hot Cakes (aka Pancakes) on his pillow too! LOL! Apparently they were the kind of Hot Cakes only the Assassin's make! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
How awesome it that, lol

godsmack_darius
07-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Thats kinda rrad, but why would they leave pancakes on his pillow? to say we infiltrated your guard now? and what did the note say I heard it saic "you are in our power now"

And back to my first question did they ever escape??

UchihaKarasu
07-29-2009, 08:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by godsmack_darius:
Thats kinda rrad, but why would they leave pancakes on his pillow? to say we infiltrated your guard now? and what did the note say I heard it saic "you are in our power now"

And back to my first question did they ever escape?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never heard anything about a note....I don't know why they left pancakes. I guess since it was their signature food (lol) it was their way of saying that the Assassins had infiltrated his most inner circle of trust. Apparently a simple dagger wasn't enough (guess they wanted to bring him breakfast in bed XD)

And yeah, they escaped all/most of the time.

godsmack_darius
07-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Lol pancakes and a knife

Do you think Saladin ate the pancakes lol

He is just kinda sitting their freaking out about the Assassins, then just kinda start eating the cake http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Xm3buX
07-29-2009, 09:50 AM
If you're writing an essay about the assassins, I reccomend you read this. (http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm313/Xm3buX/assassin.jpg)
I just scanned it from a book called QI: The book of general ignorance, it takes everyday questions with appearingly simple answers and then actually answers them. This shows the origin of the word "assassin" and also a bit about the assassins that AC is based on.

It's quite interesting http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

UchihaKarasu
07-29-2009, 09:50 AM
hmmm, that sounds like an illustration for Kax.

Kaxen6
07-29-2009, 10:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UchihaKarasu:
hmmm, that sounds like an illustration for Kax. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Saladin cake story is pretty much the source of all Assassin Cake jokes.

&gt;_&gt; There was this one Crusades documentary that I can't for the life of me re-find where they re-enact it so you have like... burly Middle Eastern guy coming close to screaming like a little girl at the sight of cake...

Danvish
07-29-2009, 10:06 AM
I hate you Uchi and Godsmack.

Now I want pancakes!

UchihaKarasu
07-29-2009, 10:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kaxen6:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, I know.
But I meant a scene of Saladin freaking about about the Assassins while chowing down of the pancakes XD
(lol, om nom nom)

godsmack_darius
07-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Thats how we roll http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

And guys, do you think the Hashshishin are around today?

UchihaKarasu
07-29-2009, 11:28 AM
They are, they're just under a different name:
the Nizari, and are currently led by the Aga Khan IV their 49th Imam.

godsmack_darius
07-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Hmm how would YOU no

Guard: Assassin!! Ill have your head!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

moqqy
07-29-2009, 11:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xm3buX:
If you're writing an essay about the assassins, I reccomend you read this. (http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm313/Xm3buX/assassin.jpg)
I just scanned it from a book called QI: The book of general ignorance, it takes everyday questions with appearingly simple answers and then actually answers them. This shows the origin of the word "assassin" and also a bit about the assassins that AC is based on.

It's quite interesting http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a bad page, but it should still be noted no muslim writer called them "hashashins". The word was around before the Nizari and it's around after them.

Cornik22
07-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Also, they used to collect flags wherever they went. Thay just love them. Thatīs why they decided to include that feature in the game.

godsmack_darius
07-29-2009, 12:17 PM
Really Cornik?! Thats pretty interesting I have too say lol

P.S. When does the questions thread get updated http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

moqqy
07-29-2009, 02:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cornik22:
Also, they used to collect flags wherever they went. Thay just love them. Thatīs why they decided to include that feature in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I'm not sure if this is a joke..

obliviondoll
07-29-2009, 05:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kaxen6:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ah, but is the combination of the cake story and the attributed-to-Marco Polo hashish story the source of all Hash cakes?

agentpoop
07-29-2009, 06:22 PM
they did there jobs quickly, get in and get out. they did escape alot but sometimes they were killed

this is what they may have looked like
hashashin (http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs14/f/2007/105/b/a/Hashashin_by_wraithdt.jpg)

godsmack_darius
07-29-2009, 10:28 PM
I read it was almost all the time they were killed

adn I dont no if that was a hashshishin, because he had a bow, and they didnt use bows

UchihaKarasu
07-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Actually, the illustration IS of a Hashashin, but apparently the artist was unaware of the Assassin's opinion on bows.

Xanatos2007
07-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Maybe he was disguised as an archer (they often infiltrated camps etc in a suitable disguise), notice that he doesn't have an arrow nocked in his bow. Also, he appears to be fighting Templars (there's one in the background going "WTF?").

Danvish
07-30-2009, 12:24 AM
They liked to collect flags?
wtf?

Xanatos2007
07-30-2009, 01:03 AM
In the manual it says that Altair believed that "the land belongs to no one and everyone", maybe that's one of the Assassin's beliefs. Unless Cornik was only joking.

agentpoop
07-30-2009, 03:11 AM
almost, always. they were skilled at escaping and blending. it was probably 50/50

I read it was almost all the time they were killed

adn I dont no if that was a hashshishin, because he had a bow, and they didnt use bows </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

moqqy
07-30-2009, 04:05 AM
No. More like 95/5 for them dying.

You're not going to escape from a mosque when you're surrounded by hostile guards AND crowd unless you're inside a tank.

Edengoth
07-30-2009, 10:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by moqqy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cornik22:
Also, they used to collect flags wherever they went. Thay just love them. Thatīs why they decided to include that feature in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure if this is a joke.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. People really left lots of their flags lying around. And not only did the Hashashin have ample time to go around stealing them, they had some good reason for doing so. Also, it was easy to "collect flags" and still be incogneto because they didn't have to carry the flags around. The flags would turn to a cloud of white dust when they would walk through them.

Yes, it's a joke. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Danvish
07-30-2009, 12:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Edengoth:

No. People really left lots of their flags lying around. And not only did the Hashashin have ample time to go around stealing them, they had some good reason for doing so. Also, it was easy to "collect flags" and still be incogneto because they didn't have to carry the flags around. The flags would turn to a cloud of white dust when they would walk through them.

Yes, it's a joke. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rofl man http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif
you wrote it so seriously that I was thinking "Is he crazy or what?

obliviondoll
07-30-2009, 03:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Edengoth:

Yes, it's a joke. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
[drunken slur]..... You shur?[/drunken slur]
Sorry. Had to.

Back on topic (I do that a lot, apparently), how do YOU know flags don't turn into clouds of dust? YOU don't have an animus. ubisoft do, and THEY put it in the game.

it must, therefore, be true.

Crazy Troll Logic FTW! (pick the reference to win a cookie)