PDA

View Full Version : No install needed?!?

Mortecai1313
09-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Ok this is somewhat unexpected. I just bought and installed a WD 74GB 10,000 RPM Raptor. I did a fresh install of WinXP Pro of course. Before I sold my old drive I made a DVD backup of my C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles dir (3.8GB). I have been playing IL2 since the demo (I'm a non-vocal offliner)and I have a lot of tweaks, skins, and missions that I didn't care to lose. I finally got a chance to copy the contents of my backup to my new windows install. I looked over the directory and I thought "hey why not give it a shot" I double-clicked the il2fb.exe and IT WORKED!!! Everything there. My missions, skins, joystick settings, all of it. No installing, patching, installing AEP, patching, patching PF blah blah. None. It just works.

I'm not complaining, no no, but is this right?? I work at a software company and our app does not work like that at all. Anyhow I am pleasantly surprised but maybe I shouldn't be. I've read these forums almost religiously for years and have never seen a post that. I'm sure if I'm wrong thought some will let me know promptly.

So am I losing anything by doing it this way? So far everything seems fine AFAIK.

-Mortecai

Mortecai1313
09-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Ok this is somewhat unexpected. I just bought and installed a WD 74GB 10,000 RPM Raptor. I did a fresh install of WinXP Pro of course. Before I sold my old drive I made a DVD backup of my C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles dir (3.8GB). I have been playing IL2 since the demo (I'm a non-vocal offliner)and I have a lot of tweaks, skins, and missions that I didn't care to lose. I finally got a chance to copy the contents of my backup to my new windows install. I looked over the directory and I thought "hey why not give it a shot" I double-clicked the il2fb.exe and IT WORKED!!! Everything there. My missions, skins, joystick settings, all of it. No installing, patching, installing AEP, patching, patching PF blah blah. None. It just works.

I'm not complaining, no no, but is this right?? I work at a software company and our app does not work like that at all. Anyhow I am pleasantly surprised but maybe I shouldn't be. I've read these forums almost religiously for years and have never seen a post that. I'm sure if I'm wrong thought some will let me know promptly.

So am I losing anything by doing it this way? So far everything seems fine AFAIK.

-Mortecai

T_O_A_D
09-28-2005, 09:06 PM
Alot of games including this one are capable of this. Not new news at all. Thats how we are able to test or fly different versions of the same game from the same machine.It is also how I managed to install it on my work computer, and get around my sign on restictions there. hehehehe

Mortecai1313
09-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Well that is a very nice timesaver. I have made back-up of IL2 in the past when patches or betas came out to safguard myself but I assumed they worked because the series was already installed in the 1st place. I just assumed that some registry entries and the like were required but I was wrong - and I like it!

Back to the skies and thanks for the prompt reply!

-Mortecai

Tully__
09-28-2005, 11:54 PM
What registry entries do exist for this game series are only used by the Ubi game lobby to find the install and by the installer pack when adding AEP/PF to FB. There is no registry check by the game itself when you run it.

The only issue you may have is if/when you try to add any possible future payware addons.