PDA

View Full Version : How the SIM world doing?

ElfunkoI
12-31-2005, 03:04 PM
This is an old IL2/WWIIOL veteran returning. I was just wondering how the sim world has progressed these last two years. I know computers have gotten much faster. And games are getting awesome graphics. But what about how we play those games. A bit before I left the HOTAS Cougar was the newest thing, and it was pretty good (though it had some problems). The X-45 (which I had and still have) was awesome also. I got TrackIR2 brand new, and that was pretty cool.

So what about now? Are there any new joysticks out that have revolutionized the market? Is there anything anticipated? Or are the best rig's still user-made? Everythings getting better, so what about how we play these games?

ElfunkoI
12-31-2005, 03:04 PM
This is an old IL2/WWIIOL veteran returning. I was just wondering how the sim world has progressed these last two years. I know computers have gotten much faster. And games are getting awesome graphics. But what about how we play those games. A bit before I left the HOTAS Cougar was the newest thing, and it was pretty good (though it had some problems). The X-45 (which I had and still have) was awesome also. I got TrackIR2 brand new, and that was pretty cool.

So what about now? Are there any new joysticks out that have revolutionized the market? Is there anything anticipated? Or are the best rig's still user-made? Everythings getting better, so what about how we play these games?

ploughman
12-31-2005, 03:14 PM
Track IR, it's huge. If I was more of a man I'd have it too.

http://www.edimensional.com/index.php?cPath=24&ref=73 (http://www.edimensional.com/index.php?cPath=24&ref=73)

VW-IceFire
12-31-2005, 03:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElfunkoI:

So what about now? Are there any new joysticks out that have revolutionized the market? Is there anything anticipated? Or are the best rig's still user-made? Everythings getting better, so what about how we play these games? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not too much has changed. The X-52 came out to replace the X-45 (well not necessarily replace but to be the new high end Saitek product). The best rigs are still homebuilt and everything is just a evolutionary jump from the last thing to the next.

This sim itself has evolved a fair amount with more FM detail and more content but nothing absolutely ground shattering. Holodecks will be the thing that is ground shattering to me.

Tully__
12-31-2005, 07:56 PM
The flight model in the latest patch prompted me to write this piece... (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5111047273)

jugent
01-01-2006, 02:44 AM
It is overall the same, the pacific fighter has included carriers and its a lot of fun. Some new aircrafts but things are the same. The graphics are better, like more beutyful water. But red side is favoured as always.

carguy_
01-01-2006, 07:56 AM
Yes,jugent.The red side as in the majority of planes that do better at low altitude.One thing I know now for sure - all aircraft even if undermodelled can do very well.Main reason why I believe the game is biased is that those who mostly fly up there - USAAF and LW are still very hurt due to compltely unreasonable and unrealistic LOD/dot viewing system.After performed tests I also concluded that LW planes are more visible in the background than their VVS/RAF/USAAF counterparts with exceptions being the P40 and P47 because of their skins.

In online wars and not only that,the USAAF/LW does a very good job because even if dots cannot be IDed from 4000m( as in viewed from up high),the pilot sees everything around him and can decide accordingly whereas in summer maps,VVS/RAF aircraft are invisible to human eye at those distances.

Proof?Ask for campaign results in winter compaired to summer - all but one winter maps was won by LW and nearly all summer maps were won by VVS.

VW-IceFire
01-01-2006, 08:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jugent:
But red side is favoured as always. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I hope thats a new years joke!

ElfunkoI
01-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Wow, the TrackIR system has really improved! Can you actually look around a strut?? So we can move our POV on X-Y-Z axis now instead of just X-Y?? That would be amazing. I think needed next is better graphics, high def computer screens totally encapsulating the pilot, and things will be good.

So, is the Tempest in the game? Any new aircraft?

As for dot signature, it has always been LW having larger dots that are more visible. Bummer, but it's true. Maybe with BoB this will be rectified. It seems odd though, since the 109 is smaller than the Spitfire, if I recall correctly. That's just one example. Yet the LW had big blocky dots that doubled the size of the aircraft, while the VVS had tiny dots that yes, sometimes blend with the ground textures rendering aircraft invisible. Someday Oleg will fix this. It's not like he want's this to be this way forever.

Tully__
01-01-2006, 05:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wow, the TrackIR system has really improved! Can you actually look around a strut?? So we can move our POV on X-Y-Z axis now instead of just X-Y?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not in the IL2 series. This is supported in MS2k4 and CFS3 I believe and will probably be supported in 1C:Maddox's BoB (we hope).