PDA

View Full Version : Oleg bomb crators

LeadSpitter_
12-02-2004, 10:48 PM
Is it possible to allow hosts to control the timing of bomb crators, many of us would like to see all of them have the same times and have the ability to change the time they stay there to 30 min or longer giving us the ability to shutdown runways online.

RedSpar
12-03-2004, 12:18 AM
I second this big time. We had a strike force of 7 bomb laden P47's hit one of the German airfields on WarClouds last night. Bomb craters didn't last more than a minute http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Adding this would really add to the immersiveness and strategy to the game.

Hetzer_II
12-03-2004, 12:50 AM
A big bump for that!!!

Greets

xTHRUDx
12-03-2004, 02:23 AM
buuuuuuuuuuuuuuump

Sly401RCAF
12-03-2004, 03:36 AM
All them that wanna be pirates say........AYE !!
All them that wanna be horses say.........NAY !!

AYE !! for me defiantley needed

Sly

VF-29_Sandman
12-03-2004, 10:08 PM
that was priority 1 in bob; to shut down the airfields. and it would take alot longer than 10 seconds to repair a complete runway in rl http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Tooz_69GIAP
12-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Guys, you need to use big bombs. Bomb craters stay in place from anywhere from 90 seconds to 10 minutes, depending on the size of bomb you used to make the crater.

The 10 minute crater are created by the FAB 5000s carried by the Pe-8 I think. I dunno how long a crater created by a 1000lber would last though, I'd guess around 2 minutes or summit.

What would be good is to get a list of what bombs do what damage. i.e. how long does a crater last for a 250lber, a 500lber, a 1000lber, and so on, etc, etc.

But yeah, it would be cool if there was an entry in the conf.ini file to set length of time of craters.

WTE_Gog
12-04-2004, 12:01 AM
This is a good idea. Craters should remain for a lengthy period.

I also think that anyone that bails out over an enemy airfield should be given a shovel and made to fill them in! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tater-SW-
12-04-2004, 08:33 AM
Tooz, the point is the minimum persistance time for any bomb big enough to leave a crater should be measured in minutes, not seconds or it is a waste of time.

tater

PB0_Roll
12-04-2004, 10:17 AM
support !

i'd say a 500lb should close a runway for 1 hour, a 1000lb for 2 hours, a FAB5000 for 10 hours !

of course, if host can adjust it, either via FMB or console command, every1 would find his own desired numbers, but less than 10mns is pointless.

MBot
12-04-2004, 10:49 AM
A big Bump for this.

If we could effectivly shut down airfields ( or hamper operations there ), this would add alot more depth into online events/scripted servers. 10 Minutes for a FAB 5000 ( how often do we fly Pe-8... ) is pontless.

Adjustable settings by the host seems a very good solution. Each his own.

WWMaxGunz
12-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Isn't there a server setting for how long the day is?
It might affect the time for craters to fill in....

Mjollnir111675
12-05-2004, 08:23 AM
Well then we might as well ask fer bull dozers and all the myriad heavy equipment needed fer such runway repair. The list of such machinery is quite extensive.
Maybe have a column(sorta lookin like an armored column but half as long and twice as wide) of construction equipment do the Zamboni shuffle up and down the runway as a graphical que as to what is going on down there.
And then we can ask fer morale,fear and, common sense to be modeled into the C.B.'s that way if a dogfight is looming overhead they wouldnt even attempt to repair unless the immediate skies were clear.
As fer time length of the crater that should be more in lines with what PBO Roll says. If it is historical accuracy which is the aim of this sim than the time would be MOST ACCURATE.
And what tha h3ll lets ask fer a notification from flight control as when the repair is complete.

p1ngu666
12-05-2004, 09:32 AM
grass runways would be quicker to repair also?

Tater-SW-
12-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Given the discrete nature of bomb craters (in PF in particular), good airfield design would be required for any "closing" of airfields since you could taxi around the holes and TO off the runway. The good thing is that it would require some serious bombing to do, you'd really need to area bomb to make it impossible to have a path to TO, and with whatever time picked (likely short, at most measured in minutes, I'd wager) it would still require a decent raid to close a field for a while.

Making the time an option, perhaps a mission option would be best.

tater