PDA

View Full Version : I'm about to order Lock-On... should I?

Jasko76
02-21-2005, 02:22 AM
Yes, I've found it for very cheap here in Sweden, only 99 SEK, that's about "10. Should I get it? My heart is with WWII sims, but I'd really to feel the power of modern combat jets after playing WWII sims only since 1998.

Is it a good game? Will it bring smile on my face like Il-2 does?

Thanks!

madsarmy
02-21-2005, 02:41 AM
I bought mine for a small amount of cash & I am glad, as it was taken off my hard drive about 1 week later. Not because it is a bad game it's just that jets aint my thing. I found it boring to the point were I was only using the cannons just to liven it up & it still fell flat.
If you like jets & modern warfare then get it. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
For me if it aint got a propeller it worth flyinghttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

chaikanut
02-21-2005, 02:45 AM
Dont know... That will depend.

On the plus side graphics are better than il2 ground objects are denser and the flight models, aircraft and avionics are well designed (not perfect) intuitive and very simple to understand. It has five flyable aircraft the A10, F15, SU25, SU27, SU33, all of them beautiful. The negatives are it has very few missions there have been several bugs reported and most important of all there is no support from eagle dynamics (no improvements and new patches) since ubi has written the game off and it requires a monster computer to run well with lots of detail. For 10 euros it is definitely worth it but how long it will last for you will depend on your tastes. Alternatively you can check strike fighters, it is a bit arcadish but a lot of fun, with many addons.

AlGroover
02-21-2005, 02:50 AM
When you think how much fun you could otherwise buy with that amount of cash, yes it is worth it. You might want to consider how much time you are willing to spend learning the avionics, navigation and weapons systems.

Fehler
02-21-2005, 04:38 AM
Does anyone know is LOMAC handles 6DOF? I would love to be able to use this thing, but I cant make myself buy CFS3...

Beuf_Ninja
02-21-2005, 05:40 AM
I've been playing more of Lock On recently and it is a pretty good looking game but very demanding game to run on anything less than an uber pc. This is because other a.i. adheres to the same flight physics as the player plus the guided missiles all have their own flight models accuratley reproduced and the radar operations simulation also requires a large amount of computational power.

If you decide to buy for online play BEWARE they are getting a 35$ addon which will render Lock On usless online as the fans will upgrade at the end of this week.

If you are buying it to play offline BEWARE Lock On has no dynamic campaign generator, just a ten mission static campaign for each flight model.
If you do decide you still want to buy it head over to Lomacfiles.com to get mods,missions,campaigns and advice.

P.s. Play Lock On in Ace difficulty i.e. no labels, its easier than in IL2 cause of radar and its alot of fun!

P.P.S Lockon and the new addon do not support 6DOF TIR

Jasko76
02-21-2005, 06:38 AM
Only ten single player missions? Ok, no LoMac for me then. It appears to be Doom3 of flight simulators - flashy but without any real reason to visit it over and over again. To bad. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Jasko76
02-21-2005, 08:41 AM
I tried the Lockon 1.1 demo, just to see what it's really like and... graphics look like sh1t! I've never seen so many anomalies! Everything looks wrong, completely unplayable, Picasso's nightmare.

Oh, well! Back to Sturmovik!

VW-IceFire
02-21-2005, 08:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jasko76:
I tried the Lockon 1.1 demo, just to see what it's really like and... graphics look like sh1t! I've never seen so many anomalies! Everything looks wrong, completely unplayable, Picasso's nightmare.

Oh, well! Back to Sturmovik! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Odd, it works quite well here. I'm seriously considering picking the full game plus 1.1 up at some point in the future.

WWII is still my thing, but LoMac is a nice distraction. Plus it also has a full mission builder...that can't be too wrong.

Hristo_
02-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Lomac is far too complex to be just tried out by a casual gamer, or even a simmer. If you don't allow it a fair chance, you'll get frustrated. Good start is to readf the manual to know what to expect.

Just compare planes in FB/PF to Lomac planes: here it is enough to model speed, climb and turn ability, as well as gun package, but basically all planes fly very similar and have similar instruments.

In Lomac every plane has different avionics, radar modes and number of different weapons, most of which require detailed modeling. Missiles aren't just cannon shells which travel towards target - instead, they have flight models of their own. Couple this with radar modes and plane detection and tracking and you'll see why Lockon requires super computer.

Combat is fairly different than here. Most of the time you fight the enemy you don't even see, fire your missile at him and, depending of missile type, work for the kill. Only rarely you see your enemy, and even then it is just a spec on the horizon due to speed of modern planes.

Only in those rarest situations you will get close and personal like you do here all the time.

To me, Lomac is quite dynamic. Sense of flying faster than sound at treetop level, zooming from deck to 6000 meters, stealth hunting using EOS only, beaming enemy missiles and radars, avoiding radar by flying extremely low. Don't worry, Lomac has action. Just allow it a fair chance.

IMHO, Lomac is harder for new players. HEre, you put a newbie in a La-7 and he has some chance of getting a kill. In Lomac, he probably won't even know what hit him, most likely he won't even fire his weapon.

icrash
02-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Icefire, if you're in the States, I'll send ya my copy of LOMAC. I favor the old warbirds and dislike having to play mother may I when I wanna shoot. Well, all that and my pc wouldn't handle it at the time. Lemme know.

LordOliver
02-21-2005, 10:54 AM
I like Lockon and still continue to fly it to this day, if for nothing more, than for flying the Su-25. Then again, I am a mudmover nut.

altstiff
02-21-2005, 11:40 AM
I got lock-on for $10 way back. Even with all the bugs it is an amazing sim and worth full price.

LStarosta
02-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Prefontaine and I have been trying to figure out how to set up a free flight game for about 2 hrs now... All we wanna do is be abel to fly any of the flyable planes off of a tarmac to get a feel for the sim, but LOMAC is the most frustrating game I've ever played.

GAU-8
02-21-2005, 12:07 PM
its a completely different "bird" of a sim.

dont get your opinion within the first few minutes of playing!

i had it for a while, and everytime i played it, i absolutely hated it. then i actually gave it a chance by..

reading the material about the avionics, adjusted my key commands, and of course, slowly practiced with 1 aircraft, and learned all of its weaponry, how to arm, how to deliver weapons.

i really like it. the demo is NO good, compared to the game.

reason graphics look like cr@p is because most systems CANT play with it on the HIGH END! "average settings make it look like OLD FLANKER. get yourself a 4000 grand machine, and youll love the graphics, and the playability, when set to HIGH on everything.

i thought it was boring too....till i learned it. now its fun.

Owlsphone
02-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Everyone is correct in saying that you must learn the sim first before you can truely appreciate it. If you just fly around aimlessly then you'll get bored. When you RTFM and learn the weapon systems and such is when you start having fun.

Yes it can be frustrating as heck from the beginning, but most flightsimmers have the patience to give it a fair shot.

If it's cheap, you can't go wrong.

Platypus_1.JaVA
02-21-2005, 12:32 PM
If you want the ultimate realisctic jetsim, you should get Falcon 4.0 with all the nice third party add-ons.

Bongokid
02-21-2005, 12:47 PM
You might want to start with the plane SU-25 'frogfoot'. It is a russian ground attack plane that has very limited avionic and almost feels like a 700 km/hrs fast IL2 sturmkovik.

As for Falcon 4.0, as i got a copy recently, its true the community mods have made it up to date but the learning curve seems even steeper than for lomac and you can only find it on ebay for not a so cheap price.

Cheers,

Bongokid

ytareh
02-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Have to say Im still at the stage where as one poster said I hate it.(Only tried it a few times though)Reckon would take a lot of time to get anything out of it.....worth it?Well I suppose 10 euro isnt too much!

Brain32
02-21-2005, 01:18 PM
It's a great game BUT this is true MINIMAL system to play it reasnobly enjoyable:
CPU:3GHz(Higher FSB is better)
RAM:768MB
GFX:9600XT(bare minimum!!!)
Note that what I consider to be a reasnoble framerate is 25FPS minimum. Also note that LockOn settings are rather extreme; what I want to say ishttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gifn LOW you don't have buildings or threes, just bridges and your visibility distance is ridiculous; on MEDIUM you get most of the objects but still no trees and visibility distance is nearly acceptable etc.
What we take for granted(graphics wise) in IL2 series in LockOn you will need a monster system to get it. Patches are mandatory!!! So if you have a killer system I would strongly advise you to try it.

PBNA-Boosher
02-21-2005, 01:28 PM
If you buy Lo-mac, or Flaming CLiffs, I feel bad for you. I expect they'll just put out a product with 3x as many bugs as before, and then refuse to fix it. THey did it with LO-MAC... I'm just waiting for it to happen again.

Weather_Man
02-21-2005, 02:37 PM
I bought lomac right after release and played for about 3 weeks. Which is about a week longer than most games get beside Il2. Other than some good screenshots, it completely failed to entertain me. It's uninstalled now and will forever be.

indylavi
02-21-2005, 03:00 PM
I love Lock On. I play it just as much as IL2. It depends heavily on what your main interest are. I like aircraft in general. A lot of people perfer old Warbirds. There is more of a sense of fighting to them. WWII dogfighting feels more like an actual knife fight than shooting missles from 20km away. However, there are a lot of intense dogfighting moments in LoMac as well. But it's a very different and a lot more complex thing than IL2.

Raptor_20thFG
02-21-2005, 03:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jasko76:
Yes, I've found it for very cheap here in Sweden, only 99 SEK, that's about "10. Should I get it? My heart is with WWII sims, but I'd really to feel the power of modern combat jets after playing WWII sims only since 1998.

Is it a good game? Will it bring smile on my face like Il-2 does?

Thanks! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find Falcon 4.0 on Ebay trust me youll thank me later

Beirut
02-21-2005, 03:43 PM
I think LOMAC is a very, very good sim. if nothing else, the graphics are delicious. But you sure do need a hot system to run it.

I've got an AMD64-3000/512/9800Pro and it looks GREAT! But it slows down mighty fast when things get busy. But the sensation of flight and the effects are wonderful.

I'm a prophead at heart, but I load up LOMAC every once in a while to just sit back and be awestruck by the level of detail. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Wow!"

LStarosta
02-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Prefontaine and I must conclude. . . Lock On IS AWESOME. We figured out the F-15's systems in a like 4 hours without consulting any manuals. We aren't Aces for nothing, after all. Fact.

LuckyBoy1
02-21-2005, 06:43 PM
I purchased it Sunday...

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=38610606&m=3401057282

NTESLA
02-21-2005, 08:50 PM
I enjoy practically anthing that is able to fly in a simulation for my PC! The more the marrier! Here is a list -

Currently flying :

IL2/FB/ACES/PF

Flight Simulator 2004

LOMAC

Strike Fighters (http://www.thirdwire.com/projects/p1/index.htm)

Eagle Lander 3D (http://eaglelander3d.com/)

Orbiter (http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~martins/orbit/orbit.html)

Fly sometimes, oldies but goodies:

B17 - 2

Mig Alley

Jane's F-15

Jane's F-18

Falcon 4

EF2000

Total Air War

Longbow 2

Enemy Engaged

Enjoy flight, we don't get many to choose from anyways!

Eldon45
02-21-2005, 09:25 PM
I don't know about Lock-On. I just bought Falcon 4 on ebay a week ago for about 33 US dollars (including shipping). I was worried about buying a 7 year-old game for that much. However, after installing a bunch of the new patches (I went the "Free Falcon" route rather than the "Super Pack 4" route but both are good, from what I understand) I am very impressed with the product! It's kind of bewildering to learn, but it's a lot of fun, too. The "FreeFalcon" website is very active, with a lot of supportive people who will help you, if you ever want to give it a look.

EAGLE_34_WO
02-21-2005, 10:03 PM
IL-2 and LO-MAC are two totally different beasts! I bought FB+AEP+PF all in one swoop and feel pretty comfortable with the instruments. I'm still no good at combat, because I bleed speed horribly. I can tell you the learning curve for LO-MAC is way higher. You have to learn all the engagement systems to have much fun. Most of the enemies you encounter, you don't even see visualy. You have to fly by instruments and use your radar. I think it was worth the full price also. If your heart is with prop sims, I wouldn't mess with it. If you looking for a great challenge and new experience, I would buy it. It's cheap anyway lol!

kyjko
02-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Lockon is great if you spend the time reading the manual. When I first got it, I was frustrated and uninstalled, it sat on the shelf for almost 3 months and then I ordered the print manual and now I play it as much as IL2 if not more. It's a blast to play online as well, don't even bother with the 10 mission campaigns that suck. It's either the fast mission planner for offline or just play it online.

Like others say the learning curve is steep and it needs a powerful system to run. But you can get it working on a fairly decent computer if you turn the eye candy down a bit. The trees and buildings are nice but you can live without them if your flying mostly A2A online.

HeinzBar
02-21-2005, 11:04 PM
S!,
If you're looking for a 'fun' jet sim w/o the learning curve of Falcon4 or Lomac, pick up a copy of Strike Fighters:Project 1 or Wings over Vietnam. These two 'sims' have the fun elements while using primitive missles. The graphics are nowhere near IL2/Lomac, but they are good combined @ high resolution. Phantoms vs MiGs is a great deal of fun IMHO. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HB

GAU-8
02-21-2005, 11:23 PM
I agree with heinzbar.

most sims within the past 4 years, even if buggy have some kind of qualifying reason to stay on my computer. even SFP1/WOV.

some of you have posted sayong "bought it the week it came out" or "just bought, and just erased of HD" ... no mention if you guys even downloaded the 1 or 2 patches,... cant force you to do so, but i recommend some of you re-install, then patch, then spend several quality hours configing keys/settings, going thru the manual/training sessions.

give it a GOOD WEEK of extendend play time to learn it. if it doesnt grab you..then toss it.

i think most of you who do this will find no reason to un-install anymore.

kyjko
02-22-2005, 01:19 AM
Lockon is great if you spend the time reading the manual. When I first got it, I was frustrated and uninstalled, it sat on the shelf for almost 3 months and then I ordered the print manual and now I play it as much as IL2 if not more. It's a blast to play online as well, don't even bother with the 10 mission campaigns that

Caretaker.
02-22-2005, 03:04 AM
Lock On is a great sim with some rough edges. It's definitely not trouble free, but offers enough depth and variety that it's worth it if you're interested in modern aviation as well.

It certainly needs a very good rig to enjoy it (and a mediocre rig to run at all http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif), but while the performance isn't exactly stunning, the overall graphics quality definitely is.

However you do need to invest some time in it indeed, and the weak documentation is even more critical than with the Il2/FB/PF line due to the avionics. However there's nothing that wouldn't be answered in the forums http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

FI-Aflak
02-22-2005, 10:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by icrash:
Icefire, if you're in the States, I'll send ya my copy of LOMAC. I favor the old warbirds and dislike having to play mother may I when I wanna shoot. Well, all that and my pc wouldn't handle it at the time. Lemme know. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if he doesn't take it I will! let me know.

piloteer81
02-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Lockon has pluses and minuses:

+ves

The graphics at high settings are gorgeous and very realistic. The game play is also very realistic and very involved and when you are fully accomplished on the plane of your choice, it is fantastic. The plane models are top notch and there is a good array of weapons to keep any simmer happy.

-ve's

It requires a hefty PC, as previously mentioned. Before my upgrade to my current spec of 6800GT, 1gb ocz and a A64 3500 running at 2700mhz all watercooled, I had a 9800 pro with 1gb ram and an athlonXP mobile running at 2600mhz with 230fsb (equiv of P4 @ 3.2ghz) and this was hard pushed to run Lockon. If I had the higher settings on with heat blur and water effects it got way to jurky. Much more demanding than PF.

Also it requires extensive reading through the not so good on-cd manual to even get a grasp of how to actually fly the planes, never mind fire any weapons to any effect. The air to air planes are very realistic, but very complicated. I got board after mastering the Su25 and just took a su27 for spin every now and then.

The sounds are also frustratingly ****! The sonic boom sounds nothing like it does in real life, the jets 'whiz' through the air with no rumble, and it makes you appreciate how good we have things in FB/PF, and I thought planes sounded dodgy here!

Also, and this is a tragedy, the maker of the one and only optional manual for the game which aids learning no end, recently died in an accident, so there is now little hope for new users to master the game as well as some who have the manual (there are so many things that just are not covered by the online manual/readme files)

ClnlSandersLite
02-22-2005, 06:00 PM
My experience is that if you like jets, get it. Me, I'm more of a ww1-korea simply because I'm a guns kinda guy. I do have a blast playing jet sims once in awhile though. I'd seriously pick up something a little less complex for a first jet sim, but, if it's not, go for it.

Dammerung
02-22-2005, 07:01 PM
When I first got Lock On, I was so incredibly overwhelmed... Took me a week before I could comfortably take off. Now it's all second nature. Now with Flaming Cliffs, I'm gonna have to learn everything all over again. Avionics upgrades out the ****. Not to mention and entire new Aircraft with probably one of the most complex flight models ever.

As far as sound, download zzzspace's sound pack. A little too noisy but it's nice.

Combat? I use my Guns. A lot. F-15C has a BEAUTIFUL M61A1 that can deal out more pain than any prophead could emagine. Damage Models are basic, but if you hit someone in the engine it's game over. With Russian Jets it's a little different, I actually just use the Iron Sight to aim. And with 600+kph dogfights, it's pretty hard. There was this one beatiful moment where I landed 12 of my remaining 12 out of 150 30mm Shells right up an F-14A's tailpipes. Down in flames. Plus, tactics are way different. Not limited to just "Boom and Zoom" or "Turn and Burn". If you try to zoom climb and your opponent has missiles, you're !@#$ed. Even if he doesn't, he'll follow you most of the way. You can get most of your energy back within 15 seconds in a full burner straight and level or even faster in a dive.

The amount of things the FMB. If you want, say, 15 mins in, you can have every system on his aircraft die. Or you can randomize it, simulate a poorly maintained aircraft for a "You vs the World" Scenario.

In IL-2 if you see it coming it's probably only 5 seconds away. If a SAM gets you in No-Escape Range you have probably 1 minute to think about how to get out of it.

Completely different experience.

civildog
02-22-2005, 10:14 PM
I just bought it myself and it won't run. Can't get past the splash screen before it dumps me to the desktop and XP generates an error report.

Luckyboy is on the case, though so I expect he'll save the day faster than Mighty Mouse. Or else I'll just get medieval on my computer...my trigger finger is spasming every time I try to get the verdammnt thing to play!

LuckyBoy1
02-22-2005, 10:29 PM
CivilDude, post your diagnosis over in Community Help for IL-2.

Why not post it in Community Help for LOMAC? well, yes, do that too, but you'll get faster responses at IL-2 Community Help... the Empire steve v built! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

civildog
02-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Luckboy, I did post it over there....an hour ago or so. Go check it out and work your magic.

civildog
02-22-2005, 10:38 PM
OK, now it's posted in BOTH the IL2 and LOMAC Help forums. Now I'll go light a candle and pray to St. Jude.

Maple_Tiger
02-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Yes, buy it;graphics are beautiful. I just got it last week, and I'm still a complete noob lol. I'm just figuring out the cannon and bor sight for the F-15. Got me a hellicoptor lol! I still can't land though lol.

civildog
02-22-2005, 11:48 PM
I just reloaded the game for about the 5th time and now it works. I have no idea why but it finally works (sob!) so that's good enough for me.

The emergency is now over, please stand down and resume your normal duties. Thank you all for your support.

GAU-8
02-23-2005, 12:19 PM
ALSO GUYS,LOMAC must run in 16 bit color, NOT 32, or if you try to exit the game....it WONT.