PDA

View Full Version : what am I supposed to do to complete this mission?

Tozzifan
03-28-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm new to PF campaigns, and on my second assignment on Coral Sea (flying F4, july 1942) I am ordered to scramble with a team of (only) 6 against a gorilla package of 20 or more japanese airplanes attacking the carrier group

joining the fight results - of course? - in being always shot down, together with all my five friendlies, so I can't progress further into the campaign

any hints?

thanks

Tozzifan
03-28-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm new to PF campaigns, and on my second assignment on Coral Sea (flying F4, july 1942) I am ordered to scramble with a team of (only) 6 against a gorilla package of 20 or more japanese airplanes attacking the carrier group

joining the fight results - of course? - in being always shot down, together with all my five friendlies, so I can't progress further into the campaign

any hints?

thanks

VF51_Flatspin
03-28-2006, 08:29 AM
In your realism settings, switch the toggle "No Instant Success" -- I think that does it. However, you'll have to restart the campaign to do it. Since you're only on sortie 2, that might not be too bad.

I don't think there's any other way but I may be wrong.

slo_1_2_3
03-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Some of the missions other planes on your side takeoff and just patrol and if you run into touble talk to ground control and request assistance. That works sometimes to. Just a thought that may help you.

BSS_Goat
03-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Run full throttle as far away as possible .....come back after AAA has evened the odds.

Skycat_2
03-28-2006, 12:23 PM
If you allow "Instant Success" you can could even close out of the mission before take-off and advance to the next mission; pretend your plane wasn't armed or something ...

I always turn the "No Instant Success" to the off position for the campaigns. If the situation goes bad for me in combat (which it often does) that still gives me the opportunity to disengage and try to get home, lick my wounds and try again tomorrow. If I think my performance or the experience was truly bad and requires reflying the mission, I can refuse to hit "apply" at the debriefing screen and just try again.

In your mission, what kinds of planes are in the enemy strike package? Are you up against a lot of fighters or mostly bombers?

Tozzifan
03-28-2006, 12:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BSS_Goat:
Run full throttle as far away as possible .....come back after AAA has evened the odds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that I was thinking ... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif a trip to Antarctica

Tozzifan
03-28-2006, 12:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skycat_2:
If you allow "Instant Success" you can could even close out of the mission before take-off and advance to the next mission; pretend your plane wasn't armed or something ...

I always turn the "No Instant Success" to the off position for the campaigns. If the situation goes bad for me in combat (which it often does) that still gives me the opportunity to disengage and try to get home, lick my wounds and try again tomorrow. If I think my performance or the experience was truly bad and requires reflying the mission, I can refuse to hit "apply" at the debriefing screen and just try again.

In your mission, what kinds of planes are in the enemy strike package? Are you up against a lot of fighters or mostly bombers? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the assaulting packaged is composed mostly of fighters, but there are bombers too, as they eventually sink the carrier so that, in reply to to your second suggestion, I have no more a home to fly to http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

may be restarting the campaign and turning "instant success" on is the best option

Nimits
03-28-2006, 03:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slo_1_2_3:
Some of the missions other planes on your side takeoff and just patrol and if you run into touble talk to ground control and request assistance. That works sometimes to. Just a thought that may help you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, that's generally not the case in Pacific DGen.

Part of the problem is, in the current builds of DGen, some of the enemy bombers are spawning in too close (the script calls for them to spawn in about 9-10 minutes out from the target, but they are instead spawning about 5 minutes out). So all the aircraft are starting the mission within sight of the target, and don't give the defending fighters time to get to altitude (instead of half or more starting 10 minutes away).

blakduk
03-28-2006, 04:24 PM
I suggest you may be making the same mistakes i was when i first started playing this game- don't be too keen to get stuck straight into the furball.
Fly high, fly fast, fly past if you have to.
Don't expose yourself to danger too quickly- pick your target, hit him and disengage.
In the F4(F?) you cant turn-fight with the more nimble Japanese planes.
Protect your comrades, stay with them and dont get isolated.
Run away when you have to.
Also, remember this is a simulator- not a console game. You don't have to try and kill all the enemy. Get a couple of kills if you can but, most importantly, stay alive!
The object of the campaign is to get through it.
In most missions where you meet an attacking force the objective is to stop them achieving their objective.

e2michaelb
03-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Climbing into a fight is a really, really bad tactic, in my limited experience. I learned that in a short download campaign titled "JV44". When I am confronted with higher, superior enemy forces, I fly low, fast and far enough away to negotiate a chandelle that puts me at least as high, if not above, the bandits and in position to dive on them.

Divine-Wind
03-28-2006, 08:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blakduk:
I suggest you may be making the same mistakes i was when i first started playing this game- don't be too keen to get stuck straight into the furball.
Fly high, fly fast, fly past if you have to.
Don't expose yourself to danger too quickly- pick your target, hit him and disengage.
In the F4(F?) you cant turn-fight with the more nimble Japanese planes.
Protect your comrades, stay with them and dont get isolated.
Run away when you have to.
Also, remember this is a simulator- not a console game. You don't have to try and kill all the enemy. Get a couple of kills if you can but, most importantly, stay alive!
The object of the campaign is to get through it.
In most missions where you meet an attacking force the objective is to stop them achieving their objective. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What he said. Since they're attacking you carriers, I'm assuming that taking out the bombers before they take out your little gray home should pretty much nullify any chances of losing your carrier(s). Unless the fighters are armed with bombs, but those are at most little football sized 50kg (IIRC) bombs.

Hope this helps.

Tozzifan
03-30-2006, 12:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
What he said. Since they're attacking you carriers, I'm assuming that taking out the bombers before they take out your little gray home should pretty much nullify any chances of losing your carrier(s). Unless the fighters are armed with bombs, but those are at most little football sized 50kg (IIRC) bombs.

Hope this helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just as Nimits wrote, the strike force appears very near to the ships, just as I've taken off, and the only tactic to counter the bombers seems quite unrealistic (charging head-on)

Divine-Wind
03-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Wait, you're still not stuck there are you? If you are, I'd just nuke the gosh darn IJN task force. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Seriously though, (if stuck) I'd order your wingmen to either cover you while you go in for the bombers ('attack the fighters'), or take out the bombers while you try to cover them ('attack the bombers'). Or you could just go all out and try to get as many as possible. Take your pick, I guess.

Tozzifan
03-31-2006, 09:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Divine-Wind:
Wait, you're still not stuck there are you? If you are, I'd just nuke the gosh darn IJN task force. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Seriously though, (if stuck) I'd order your wingmen to either cover you while you go in for the bombers ('attack the fighters'), or take out the bombers while you try to cover them ('attack the bombers'). Or you could just go all out and try to get as many as possible. Take your pick, I guess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif considering that's a second mission, there should be an easy way out, without nukes ... maybe the problem of my hard time in defending the carrier is due to (all on) realistic settings...

Nimits
03-31-2006, 03:59 PM
If you're playing stock DGen campaiogns, it's partly due to the fact some of the bombers are probably spawning closer then they should (DGen problem).

Of course, at times, the IJN did sink carriers.