PDA

View Full Version : StarForce? Where? Not here I hope

GonzoX
05-14-2006, 07:37 AM
I wanted to ask Reisen about his comment on StarForce. Unfortunately his thread is now closed. When I read that I became concerned.

Reisen, if you are still with us can you tell me which UBI game has it? I hope that BOB does not implement this as StarForce is know to cause all kinds of problems.

GonzoX
05-14-2006, 07:37 AM
I wanted to ask Reisen about his comment on StarForce. Unfortunately his thread is now closed. When I read that I became concerned.

Reisen, if you are still with us can you tell me which UBI game has it? I hope that BOB does not implement this as StarForce is know to cause all kinds of problems.

steve_v
05-14-2006, 07:55 AM
From SimHQ:

http://www.simhq.com/_all/all_019d.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It took a few moments, but we met up with Ubisoft's Thomas Le Grand, Producer of Storm Of War: The Battle of Britain.

We had an interesting discussion regarding software piracy and piracy protection methods. First, Thomas stressed that Ubisoft is quite clear about the seriousness of software piracy and that they are committed to reducing it's impact on their business as much as possible. Next, and something I'm sure several of our members will appreciate, Ubisoft will not be using StarForce as their method of protection for SoWBoB, or any other new title. They are currently studying all options available to them and will make a determination in the near future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Publishers/games that employ starforce http://www.similarities.org/starforce.html

Freelancer-1
05-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Good news.

While I feel for Ubi and 1C (no one should have to worry about their property being stolen), there needs to be a method of protection that does not end up punishing the good and honest player that purchaces their product.

All these issues will soon be a thing of the past once a safe method of protection is finally developed. But, until then, companies need to tread lightly and not alienate their customer base.