PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Silly question...

SabreF-86
03-29-2009, 07:42 PM
I just got back into this sim and was messing around with the carrier training. I can get a Wildcat off the deck fairly well, same with the SBD. But the Corsair eludes me. Full Power, brakes on, let her go, tail comes up, the deck disappears, and SPLOOSH!

How do I get that pig off the deck in one piece?

Sabre

SabreF-86
03-29-2009, 07:42 PM
I just got back into this sim and was messing around with the carrier training. I can get a Wildcat off the deck fairly well, same with the SBD. But the Corsair eludes me. Full Power, brakes on, let her go, tail comes up, the deck disappears, and SPLOOSH!

How do I get that pig off the deck in one piece?

Sabre

SabreF-86
03-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Sorry, my bad, I just found the post about 5 pages back on the same question. Missed it the first time thru the pages.

Sabre

jayhall0315
03-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Trim elevators up, trim ailerons right slightly (left wing drops on takeoff), and put flaps fully down (down to take-off) to lower stall speed.

danjama
03-29-2009, 08:39 PM
I would wait until your halfway down the deck before lowering flaps, it helps pick up speed a little bit, but if this gives you too much to think about, it's not a deal breaker http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

crucislancer
03-29-2009, 09:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:
I would wait until your halfway down the deck before lowering flaps, it helps pick up speed a little bit, but if this gives you too much to think about, it's not a deal breaker http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. I usually wait until I'm going past the island before I hit combat flaps, then take off flaps after the tail comes up. It seems to work well enough.

SabreF-86
03-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Tried it again tonite, 25% fuel, trim nose up, no flaps til I past the island, and got off second try. Off a jeep no less. Thanks for the pointers!

Course landing was a whole nother story. Crunch.

OH well, I will learn it again soon enough.

Sabre

Airmail109
03-30-2009, 01:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SabreF-86:
Tried it again tonite, 25% fuel, trim nose up, no flaps til I past the island, and got off second try. Off a jeep no less. Thanks for the pointers!

Course landing was a whole nother story. Crunch.

OH well, I will learn it again soon enough.

Sabre </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your doing something really wrong like mashing the stick if you need to take 25 percent fuel. Let the aircraft drop a little off the edge of carrier and even then only pull up a little. Be gentle

jamesblonde1979
03-30-2009, 01:14 AM
The silliest question is the one that you never ask Sabre, welcome to the forum.

One thing that helps me is calculating the minimum amount of fuel I will need and changing the fuel load in the load out screen.

I also lower full landing flaps if I need too. As this causes extra drag I usually lower them about 2/3 of the way through my takeoff roll.

Don't forget to engage military power and then go to full boost after releasing the chocks.

Raise your undercarriage as soon as practicable.

DKoor
03-30-2009, 11:22 PM
I bet you used a lot of bombs and rockets http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif .
There was a debate here on forum about Corsair and its inability to take off with significant bomb/rocket load.
Try to take off without any load to start with. It is possible to take off with some limited to heavy loads + full fuel (full fuel on pacific is a must in practically all cases except quick scramble).

BTW it's a sweet plane for carrier ops... you can raise your seat (check controls section) so you can look further over nose of that airplane.

M_Gunz
03-30-2009, 11:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jayhall0315:
Trim elevators up, trim ailerons right slightly (left wing drops on takeoff), and put flaps fully down (down to take-off) to lower stall speed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Little tip: IRL and in IL2 you do not correct wing drop anywhere near stall with aileron. You might get away with it but it is
very bad practice. Reason being that when the aileron goes down, that section of the wing then has a higher AOA which is how
ailerons work. If the outer wing is already near stall then adding AOA can take it over critical AOA and certainly adds drag
to that wing either way.
What to do: Rudder away from the wing that drops. The wing ruddered away from will speed up, have more lift and come up.

Get good at this and you can hold a stall while falling without going into a spin and handle some other tricky situations better.

Trim the rudder, not the wings.

jamesblonde1979
03-31-2009, 05:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:

Trim the rudder, not the wings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A big +1

danjama
03-31-2009, 06:32 AM
I just thought, are you letting the plane run at full power for 30 seconds or so with chocks on? This helps you get to speed quicker. Don't release chocks strait away.

Woke_Up_Dead
03-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Set the fuel mixture to 120% if you can, I think that gives you a little bit of extra oomph at low altitudes.

HayateAce
03-31-2009, 12:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jayhall0315:
Trim elevators up, trim ailerons right slightly (left wing drops on takeoff), and put flaps fully down (down to take-off) to lower stall speed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only do you not need flaps, but you don't want them until as others have mentioned towards the end of the deck. I have taken off numerous times with ammo only and not touched the flaps. It's more about getting the speed up.

DKoor
03-31-2009, 02:55 PM
Oh I just forgot... don't know if someone already mentioned it... but you will have a big difference if your carrier is actually sailing vs if your carrier is stationary.
Stationary carrier provides no speed boost to its aircraft.
Thus is harder to take off, but also to land as well!