PDA

View Full Version : Why do they force you to watch cinematics???

cpuchess1966
09-28-2008, 05:18 AM
When loading a previously saved game of AC, I am forced to watch the cinematics before I can play. There is not way to get out of it, mash all the buttons you want.

Now I just purchased Brothers in Arms:Hell's Highway and they did it again! Everytime there is a cinematic you have to sit there and waste your time. It's so irritating that they don't allow you to escape the cinematic. Why is Ubisoft torturing me??!!

cpuchess1966
09-28-2008, 05:18 AM
When loading a previously saved game of AC, I am forced to watch the cinematics before I can play. There is not way to get out of it, mash all the buttons you want.

Now I just purchased Brothers in Arms:Hell's Highway and they did it again! Everytime there is a cinematic you have to sit there and waste your time. It's so irritating that they don't allow you to escape the cinematic. Why is Ubisoft torturing me??!!

spazzoo1025
09-28-2008, 10:09 AM
maybe it's just not your day http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

blarson11
09-29-2008, 11:54 PM
both of these games rely really heavily on the story elements, so enabling you to skip the cinimatics means letting you blow the part of the game that advances the plot and the gameplay. plus they worked pretty hard on it and how crappy would it be if you just ignored their work...(IMO thats why they put something at the end of the credits in some games, so you have to acknowlege the people that made it) i usually watch all the cutscenes the first time through anyways, but i do think that after the first play through they should become skippable

aaroneous85042
05-01-2009, 04:10 PM
"...enabling you to skip the cinimatics means letting you blow the part of the game that advances the plot and the gameplay. plus they worked pretty hard on it and how crappy would it be if you just ignored their work."

As a game design student and a gamer, I find that not allowing a player to skip the cinematics to be one of the most absolutely frustrating things that you can do to a player. To completely disregard an entire audience type, that of the hardcore FPS player who could care less about story, is the game developer extending their middle finger to those players and saying "we don't care what you want, you're going to watch it whether you like it or not."

To that, I say: I didn't buy this game to watch a movie, if I wanted to watch a movie I would have purchased a movie. I want to play the damn game, and your stupid cinematics are preventing me from doing so, and it makes me put up big red flags every time I see "Ubisoft."

What makes a game a game is, in many designers' viewpoints, "a series of interesting choices." While not related to gameplay itself, disallowing a player to skip cinematics is taking away a major choice that absolutely frustrates some players to the point of refusing to purchase additional titles by that developer. Frustrating a player is the biggest "no no" you can easily avoid, it's Rule #1 of game design. If a game is frustrating in interface, cinematics, gameplay, or difficulty, then it has failed to be fun. Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway is 50% fun. Assassin's Creed is 50% fun. Those are big percentage gaps that kill replayability for most hardcore players. One more title that I can't skip cinematics and I'm done with Ubisoft games for good.

spaceopera
05-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Yeah, but I say ***** to all the people that play games just to kill people, and not to harvest an immersive story. This is the same mindless, sophomoric, energy drink-consuming crowd that forces the game industry to crap out the same uninteresting FPS games over and over. Killing is fun, but it is more fun when you are enveloped in an interesting story and given motivation to kill. Stupid people don't understand this and just want to get straight to the action. A simple solution to this would have been to make the cinematics not-skippable the first play through, then once you complete the game you are given the option to skip them. I guarantee this will be fixed in AC2.

***don't bypass the autocensor please, it exists for a reason in these forums- thanks//Zgubilici

Xanatos2007
05-01-2009, 05:32 PM
I really didn't mind the cutscenes in Assassin's Creed, they are what made Assassin's Creed what it is. However, I found it really annoying starting a new game and having to go through the loooooooooooong, boring tutorial over and over again. THAT was the part which I really wanted to skip.

OniLinkSword
05-01-2009, 06:49 PM
I have to say, it's okay to not be able to skip the story elements... on your first play through. After beating the game, you may just want to go back and assassinate someone just for the fun of it. The fact that you have to sit through all the talking again can be annoying. It cuts down on the re-playability. If the developers want to keep people from skipping the awesome story, they should force the segments on the first play through. Then again, Zelda OoT doesn't have ANY skipable story elements and I love playing that game over and over. They did fix it in TP though.

...I don't know! >.<

DNBProductions
05-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Nobody is saying on your "First play through", Assassins creed has a horrible design flaw that makes it impossible to skip scenes when coming back to play certain parts. I rarely go and play around in AC due to the 20-30 minutes just to get to a city. It is so ridiculous, if they do not fix this aspect in AC2 then I believe it is worthy of a huge back lashing and bad reviews.

nightpriestess
05-01-2009, 06:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OniLinkSword:
I have to say, it's okay to not be able to skip the story elements... on your first play through. After beating the game, you may just want to go back and assassinate someone just for the fun of it. The fact that you have to sit through all the talking again can be annoying. It cuts down on the re-playability. If the developers want to keep people from skipping the awesome story, they should force the segments on the first play through. Then again, Zelda OoT doesn't have ANY skipable story elements and I love playing that game over and over. They did fix it in TP though.

...I don't know! &gt;.&lt; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you, hell, since I beat the game months ago, I haven't really gone back to assassinate targets again too many times because of the cutscenes.

Does Ubi do this often with their games?

Xanatos2007
05-01-2009, 06:58 PM
They did it in Prince of Persia, not sure of others.

Account_Deleted
05-01-2009, 07:03 PM
anyone remeber what the certin achiment is for when finding all the glichtes during cutscenes? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

that's they're there bro
for your achivment

*unless this is on pc*

deskpe
05-02-2009, 05:13 AM
ack the cutsences in the assassination missons are fine, but the al mulaim tak that takes forever when u just want some fun is really really anoying.
they should have all cutscens skippable.- but it should be like press sthats then select the option "skip cutscne" so we wouldnt accidentaly skip them

i like the story but listning to 1 conversation over and over is no fun

Account_Deleted
05-02-2009, 06:07 AM
ahh that one i hate to
u can't it be like

Al-m: ah you have returned, news has reached me of your success and again here is a new weapon

Altair: meh

Al-m: carry on to your next target

Altair: ill be on my way