PDA

View Full Version : p47 variants (ingame)

na85
09-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Can anyone give me a brief rundown of the difference between the different P-47D's we have ingame?

I recall reading a while ago that some had glass jaws but I can't find the thread

thanks in advance

na85
09-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Can anyone give me a brief rundown of the difference between the different P-47D's we have ingame?

I recall reading a while ago that some had glass jaws but I can't find the thread

thanks in advance

Bremspropeller
09-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Actually, all of them have glass jaws - as far as engine-damage is concerned.

In a nutshell, the D-10 and D-22 are so-called razorbacks. The D-27 and "D" are bubbletops.

The best performing is the "D" which simulates a "late overboosted" D block.

Widowmaker214
09-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Is it the D that is boosted?

Ive been wondering what the difference was between the D-27 and the straight D but hadn't found much.

As far as the glass jaw goes though, Id have to disagree about the bubbletops. They seem to be able to handle a lot more engine damage than the razorbacks. I've used them in a good number of my campaigns and had to pull most of the razorbacks due to that flaw. They seem to have a similar engine damage model as the poor P40s.

But the Bubbletops dont seem to suffer nearly as bad.

Copperhead311th
09-23-2007, 05:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Widowmaker214:

Ive been wondering what the difference was between the D-27 and the straight D but hadn't found much.

As far as the glass jaw goes though, Id have to disagree about the bubbletops. They seem to be able to handle a lot more engine damage than the razorbacks. I've used them in a good number of my campaigns and had to pull most of the razorbacks due to that flaw. They seem to have a similar engine damage model as the poor P40s.

But the Bubbletops dont seem to suffer nearly as bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i'll add that the fligth perfomance is much improved over when we 1st got them in the sim. I would compair it to the B-25 in perfomance back them. and yes i'm being serious.

Skycat_2
09-23-2007, 06:18 PM
The two 'razorback' variants represent an evolution of the early P-47 design.

P-47D-10: early P-47Ds were not much different than the previous P-47C models which were the first Thunderbolts to see combat. By the D-10 block the D-model production had introduced: additional cowl flaps as standard (D-1-RE block); a 'bulged keel' fuselage with fittings for a belly drop tank or bomb (D-5-RE block); and water injection (D-4-RA block).

Although some early Ds had their wings strengthened so that external tanks could be carried, stronger wings and pylons did not become a standard feature until production of the P-47D-15-RE.

P-47D-22: In the game, the most noticeable improvement is that this version has underwing pylons and can therefore carry wing drop tanks or bombs. Historically, the P-47D-22-RE was the first block to have the Hamilton-Standard paddle blade propeller installed at the factory; this was the first of three propellers that had blades with a wider chord which offered increased performance over the original Curtiss Electric propeller with blades of a narrow chord. Francis Gabreski reportedly said that with the Hamilton Standard prop he could 'walk away' from Thunderbolts with the original Curtiss Electric propellers. This block and the P-47D-23-RA block (essentially the same model but equipped with new Curtiss Electric made paddle blades) were the last razorback Thunderbolts to be built.
As a sidenote, beginning with the P-47D-20-RA the cockpit heating was improved and the gun bays were heated by ducts instead of electrical heaters.

P-47D-27: The P-47D-25-RE and P-47D-26-RA were the first Thunderbolts to feature an electrically operated bubble canopy similar to that used on the British Hawker Typhoon. These two production blocks also saw an increase internal fuel capacity from 305 gallons to 370 gallons to further extend the Thunderbolt's range. There were also changes in the cockpit layout, and the water tank for the water injection system was increased to 30 gallons. The next significant change occurred with the P-47D-30-RE and P-47D-30-RA when compressibility flaps were added.

P-47D: This is a non-specific variant that was added later through one of the Pacific Fighters upgrade patches. The only change over the P-47D-27 is that the engine performance has been boosted 'almost like a P-47M' based on data for 150 octane fuel. Regarding the historical context:
"Three P-47D-27-REs were converted to YP-47M-1-REs. These were followed by a single batch of 130 production P-47M-1-REs. This variant was designed to boost the Thunderbolt's speed to the highest possible level. To accomplish this, Pratt and Whitney's R-2800-14W/-57 "C-series" engine with CH-5 turbosupercharger was fitted. In wartime emergency with boost, this engine could develop 2800 horsepower, and the top speeed climbed to nearly 475 miles-per-hour. This was a significant increase when compared to the 425 miles-per-hour of the late P-47D production blocks...The only unit to use this variant operationally was the 56th Fighter Group at Boxted (in early 1945). As they were received in England, a dorsal fin was added to the spine of each aircraft. Wing pylons were not usually installed at first, but their use became more common in a fairly short amount of time."

Kinzey, Bert. D&S Vol. 54: P-47 Thunderbolt in Detail and Scale. Squadron/Signal Publications, Carrollton, Texas, 1998.

Bearcat99
09-23-2007, 07:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Copperhead311th:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Widowmaker214:

But the Bubbletops dont seem to suffer nearly as bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i'll add that the fligth perfomance is much improved over when we 1st got them in the sim. I would compair it to the B-25 in perfomance back them. and yes i'm being serious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I am not mistaken didnt Sky Chimp prove that the original P-47 had a roll rate worse than the He-111?

heywooood
09-23-2007, 07:13 PM
yes Bearcat - I think thats right. Sky Chimp is MIA lately...is he into Strike Fighters?

BtW - I like your William Adama sig quote...where do you think Blackwater USA fits into that statement?
I wonder who they answer to....
purely rhetorical - don't send the helicopters

na85
09-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks guys, I'd been curious for a while about this.

JG53Frankyboy
09-24-2007, 03:19 AM
download il2compare
http://war.by-airforce.com/downloads/il2compare-4.07.html