PDA

View Full Version : Saitek Pro flight throttle quadrant - best mapping in IL2

Fenice_1965
12-24-2007, 04:36 PM
I just bought a pro flight throttle quadrant and was deciding how to assign the axis, considering that the throttle is used in combination with an hotas. I think this throttle is ideal for setting prop pitch. A second axes may be assigned to mixture. I was considering to assign third axes to the flaps. Is it useful to have flaps with an axes in combat instead of the three preset positions ?
Apart from this what about your ideal setup......

Fenice_1965
12-24-2007, 04:36 PM
I just bought a pro flight throttle quadrant and was deciding how to assign the axis, considering that the throttle is used in combination with an hotas. I think this throttle is ideal for setting prop pitch. A second axes may be assigned to mixture. I was considering to assign third axes to the flaps. Is it useful to have flaps with an axes in combat instead of the three preset positions ?
Apart from this what about your ideal setup......

Bearcat99
12-24-2007, 07:20 PM
What is your main stick? IMO the main axii to have mapped are Throttle, prop pitch, elebvator trim and rudfer trim. If you have a joystick I recommend that you also consider using the slider on there as well... How are the sliders on the Q modeled? Are there only the 3 levers or are there knobs as well? Are the knobs switches? How do you fly in the pit or out? If you fly in the pit rudder trim on a slider can be set using switches and it's position can be determined by looking at the ball.
If assuming you have a quadrant and a joystick and the joystick has a throttle slider then I suggest putting rudder trim on the throttle slider of the joystick and throttle, prop pitch and elevator trim on the three levers of the quadrant...

Stew278
12-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Assuming you fly with complex engine management on and you have throttle and rudder control already on axes, prop pitch and elevator trim are probably the next most useful things to have on an axis. After those would be rudder trim or flaps depending upon your personal tastes (I'd say rudder trim). Aileron trim is not very important since many planes lack it and mixture is not used often enough in this sim to warrant anything more than a keyboard mapping, in my opinion.

I use a Saitek throttle quad in conjunction with an X-52 and rudder pedals. I put prop pitch, elevator trim, and rudder trim on the quad's axes. I use the slider on the X-52 throttle for flaps and one of the rotaries for aileron trim. I used IL2JoyControl (find at mission4today.com) to reduce the sensitivity on the trim axes so I could have finer control near the neutral trim position.

Fenice_1965
12-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Thank's for your answers I have things clearer now.
I have a cougar and simpeds pedals. I programmed elevator trim on the antenna knob (rotary) and rudder trim on the range knob. Actually I'm used to button flaps.
I think I'll map the first axe to prop pitch and then flaps (even if I don't now if ther will be any advantage using axes flaps).
I never used manual mixture until now so I think I'll follow stew 278 suggestion to map it to the keyboard.
For trimming is it necessary to program the axes ? First time I use saitek ...I think that the lever on the throttle doesn't have a center position (zero trimming) so may be it's necessary to program it and not only assign the control on the in game setup.

FoolTrottel
12-25-2007, 05:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I never used manual mixture until now so I think I'll follow stew 278 suggestion to map it to the keyboard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mixture cannot be assigned to a slider, so that's easy, use keyboard. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

As for 'programming the axes', I'm not familiar with the Saitek software, but I do know it can be of help to change the sensitivity settings for the trim axes in IL2. You can use either IL2 JoyControl or IL2-Sticks for that, see my sig for links to download them.

How to program them will depend on the hardware, and on your personal preferences... you'll need to experiment, or wait for others who've done it before... (dunno if any)

I've got the three trims on sliders (home built though) and there's are the sensitivity settings I use.
(Though not sure if I'm done with them, they may need some more adjustment)
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">trimaileron=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
trimelevator=0 29 40 48 57 66 76 86 93 95 100 0
trimrudder=0 29 40 48 57 66 76 86 93 95 100 0</pre>

Good Luck!

Klemm.co
12-25-2007, 06:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
I've got the three trims on sliders (home built though) and there's are the sensitivity settings I use.
(Though not sure if I'm done with them, they may need some more adjustment)
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">trimaileron=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
trimelevator=0 29 40 48 57 66 76 86 93 95 100 0
trimrudder=0 29 40 48 57 66 76 86 93 95 100 0</pre>

Good Luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My trim axes look like a bit different, because from my experience you just don't need the full trim deflection (and elevator deflection for that matter, too, its easier to control with a lower end than 100). I just wonder why Il-2 JoyControl has no menu for aileron trim? Because its not used much?

Trim Rudder:
48 50 54 57 59 64 67 72 76 80

Trim Elevator:
48 50 54 57 59 62 65 68 70 72

Normal Elevator:
38 42 45 49 52 56 58 62 66 70

Like I said, after lowering the maximum input for the elevator and adjusting the rest of the curve accordingly, the fine-control over the pitch of most aircraft became much better, except for some like the 109. But I can help that with my trim on a <STRIKE>slider</STRIKE> trim wheel. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif