PDA

View Full Version : Something i just thought of regarding resupply

Dominicrigg
03-14-2005, 08:33 AM
At first i wasnt that bothered about resupply with tanker subs but i realised...

Germany needed these subs to commence operations against america, without them getting there, patrolling and getting back is next to impossible. So i wonder what happens to operation drumbeat ect. Or is the fuel slightly overmoddeled to get us there and back.

Also I wonder (my memory is hazy on teh game) were refuel ships in Aces of the deep? Because i remember there was no problem with the fuel in that game.

Also my friend told me today wolfpacks were in aces of the deep, well we had different versions (me dos, him windows) was this in the dos version? (if so i missed out big time!)

negus1
03-14-2005, 08:41 AM
As far as I remember, there was resupply in AOD. But I do not remember exactly how it worked.

Wolfpacks were not working in the original DOS-Version but later added by a "mission disk" or something like this. After reporting a convoy you received order by the BDU not attack but to shadow the convoy. this could be really annoying because it took sometimes 48 hours until the wolfpack was in attack position (the u-boats were marked yellow in the map). after receiving attack order you could sometimes see other boats attacking or being attack. you could also hear torpedo and depth charges explosion caused by other boats. this was really immerserive.

also in the much older game "wolfpack" you had wolfpack attacks and resupply. you could even command a milk cow.

therefore I am really frustrated that these features are not included.

HeibgesU999
03-14-2005, 09:43 AM
Actually, Doenitz, in "10 Years and 20 Days" comments that they were amazed that even Type VII uboats could reach America and return without refueling.

oscar0072004
03-14-2005, 09:49 AM
Just make sure you get a type IX . They were long range boats and were able to get to the US coast and back without refueling if i,m not mistaking.

bertgang
03-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Command Aces of the Deep (win 95 version) has properly working wolfpacks, but I never saw a milkcow.

HeibgesU999
03-14-2005, 10:22 AM
And realistically, probabaly not more than 1 in 50 requests for resupply would be fulfilled.

WhipFlash
03-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Yes, the majority of U-Boats that went to the U.S. coast were Type IX's. How great would it be if they make an add-on that includes a U-Tanker such as U-461? As skipper wouldn't you love the challenge of refueling in crudy weather hoping you can successfully refuel/resupply or wait and try it in calm weather wondering if you're about to be pounced on by enemy planes?

Until then I'll be looking forward to creating a mission that recreates the New York task force of six (then 7) Type IX's that tried to get at convoys as they left New York. For instance, trying to catch the heavily guarded convoy UGS 6 (United States-Gibraltar Slow)that departed New York on March 4th 1943.

Boatfull
03-14-2005, 02:34 PM
IIRC there was a game called seawolfs or wolfpack
that allowed you to jump from sub to sub
it had pretty good graphics for its day & plent of
convoy action
anyone remember this game?