PDA

View Full Version : Voice Chat working?

Gr8r_Swiss
11-14-2004, 09:38 PM
Anyone have the in-game voice comms working? we're trying to set it up, and no one can hear anyone else.

three compters are 100% identical (down to the cabling) and yet no one hears anyone else. All have the voice tuned on, we all see the status bars lighting up as we talk, the test works fine, yet no voice comms in the game. All other sounds work fine.

What are we missing? Anything? The manual is not much help... (unless we're blind, which has happened before!)
Flash

Athosd
11-14-2004, 09:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gr8r_Swiss:
Anyone have the in-game voice comms working? we're trying to set it up, and no one can hear anyone else.

three compters are 100% identical (down to the cabling) and yet no one hears anyone else. All have the voice tuned on, we all see the status bars lighting up as we talk, the test works fine, yet no voice comms in the game. All other sounds work fine.

What are we missing? Anything? The manual is not much help... (unless we're blind, which has happened before!)
Flash <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First thing to check is that you are using one of the channels - when you start the game it defaults to "no channel" the other default options are "common" and "side" (or something like that). You may have to assign a key to changing the channels - your selection shows up in the hud log.
As you will have seen in the instructions you can also create custom channels - and apply preferences such as high or low quality codec as desired.

In order to have audible transmissions I also had to apply the +20db boost in my soundblaster config (most likely just my crappy mic).

You can solo test that all is well by setting up a server and blabbing for a bit with the quick track recorder going. Play back the track to hear your voice the way it would be heard during a session.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Athos

BaldieJr
11-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Quick n easy channel selection: open up chat window ( ` key) and type .

(period enter)

Gr8r_Swiss
11-14-2004, 09:59 PM
great - thanks gang!
Will give 'er a try in tonights session! (more gunner rides I think! We were laughing so hard last time we rode strictly as gunners) PLus we're crappy pilots... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
Flash

Athosd
11-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Salute BaldieJr - I set this up for my install after seeing one of your posts about it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Do you know of any servers on HL that use this facility?

Cheers

Athos

BaldieJr
11-14-2004, 11:06 PM
As far as I know, it will work on all servers.

I don't know any servers where people use it regularly though. I did hear someone on Ivan's server once, but I didn't have my mic hooked up so I couldn't respond.

Which reminds me: my stick does not center (i took the springs out), so if anyone says something to me while i'm flying, I can't chat back http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Athosd
11-14-2004, 11:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BaldieJr:
As far as I know, it will work on all servers.

I don't know any servers where people use it regularly though. I did hear someone on Ivan's server once, but I didn't have my mic hooked up so I couldn't respond. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the impression (incorrect?) that it is considered the height of ill breeding to use the inbuilt voice chat without the host's approval (Bandwidth consumption issues).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BaldieJr:
Which reminds me: my stick does not center (i took the springs out), so if anyone says something to me while i'm flying, I can't chat back http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Que? Do you only have one arm sir? Ah - I believe you mean typing.

Salute

Athos

BaldieJr
11-14-2004, 11:23 PM
I dunno. So few actually use it that there has never been a discussion opened about bandwidth issues.

I'd guess that most wouldn't mind since it uses far less bandwidth than TS or ventrillo. I think the low-bandwidth codec (default) uses 8kb/s, which is almost nothing. The higher quality codec uses more, but I don't recal the exact amount.

I may pick up a new headset this week so I can communicate again.

And yes, I meant typing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
With no centering force, as soon as I let go the stick falls back and my plane stalls http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tully__
11-15-2004, 01:50 AM
Baldie, do you have a link to your post on setting up in game comms? Search isn't finding anything older than 48 hours atm.

Athosd
11-15-2004, 02:15 AM
From the manual:

lpc (low quality) codec = 800 bits per second
hence around 0.1 KiloBytes per second

hq (high quality) codec = 8000 bits per second
around 1 Kilobyte per second.
Both default channels use this codec (Common, Side)

It would seem from that that lpc wouldn't have too much effect even on a moderately busy server (though the sound quality is pretty bad).
Hq might have an impact - but would likely be okay for a Coop/DF with a smaller number of players.
I don't know though - I have it setup but never have the opportunity to use it.

Cheers

Athos

Gr8r_Swiss
11-15-2004, 03:35 AM
Welp,
We tried it. And it was not good. We were able to hook up, and get on the same channel and all... but when I talked, he heard me within the second. When HE talked, it took 7-10 seconds for his voice to come over my speakers.

?? Made sure hq codec is used, we have same sound card and setups (down to the cables and fans!)

Ideas? maybe because I run as the server and he connects to my machine? basically, it's worthless- I can see it now. Flash! BREAK BREAK BREAK!!! flash? hey Flash? ****, he was there 7-10 seconds ago?!?

Flash

BaldieJr
11-15-2004, 11:54 AM
What was the ping times?

The few times i've used the voice chat there was no delay, but according to the manual you must match the radio latency to the ping time for best performance. Maybe thats the cause.

I can't find that thread. If I run accross it I'll bump it.

Gr8r_Swiss
11-15-2004, 12:11 PM
What was the ping times?... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ranging from 46 to 60ms (cable modemes, across town connect- always fast connections!)
I'm going over to his house and see if he changed any settings on the hardware too...

Flash

BaldieJr
11-15-2004, 12:14 PM
If it turns out to be the games fault, let me know and I'll email Oleg, unless you want to do it yourself.