PDA

View Full Version : Early Zeros carrier landing.

surlybirch
02-10-2005, 07:45 AM
I find that the early Zekes lack enough elevator authority to properly flair at low speeds which causes a missed wire.

Is there a way to combat this problem? When I steepen my approach angle, I have enough inirtia to flare and catch the wire, but it's usually on the upswing arc and I wind up smacking the deck, breaking the gear.

SURLY

surlybirch
02-10-2005, 07:45 AM
I find that the early Zekes lack enough elevator authority to properly flair at low speeds which causes a missed wire.

Is there a way to combat this problem? When I steepen my approach angle, I have enough inirtia to flare and catch the wire, but it's usually on the upswing arc and I wind up smacking the deck, breaking the gear.

SURLY

JG53Frankyboy
02-10-2005, 08:17 AM
trimming tailheavy helps a little bit.
but yes, the hook is very short http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LeadSpitter_
02-11-2005, 12:43 AM
trottle back very early and glide in keeping your nose at the horizon, with a slow landing you dont have to flare once you speed drops tailwheel sinks, trim will just lift you off the deck with landing flaps.

its pretty easy to land on the deck even without the hook, for faster landing i do flare fully twice quickly and seems to catch everytime.

a 3pt landing seems more difficult and pogosticks your plane even with a gentile descent rate but can be done too.

try landing from the front of the deck till you get use to catching the hooks which is much easier.