PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: Renaissance

The Zoo Boy
11-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Oliver Bowden wrote a novel called Assassin's Creed: Renaissance, based on Assassin's Creed 2. It was released in the United Kingdom on November 26th, 2009, six days after the UK release of Assassin's Creed II, and was released in North America on February 23th, 2010. Also, a Kindle edition was released November 26th, 2009.

Despite being a textual version of the game, there are some mild differences present in the novel. There are also things added into the book that were not included in the game.

In the novel, Vieri de' Pazzi throws a rock at Ezio and it hits him in the forehead. In the game, it hits him on the right side of his lip, giving him the characteristic scar shared also with Alta´r and Desmond.

During the first fight with Vieri de' Pazzi, Ezio (including his allies and Vieri's thugs) is said to have a dagger with him; though in the game, Ezio gets his first weapon only when he finds his father's Assassin robe. Also, the fight scene in the novel takes place late at night, while in the game, it is set in the afternoon.

When Ezio heads over to the pigeon coop to receive the note for his father, he finds some graffiti behind the coop that reads: "HE THAT INCREASETH KNOWLEDGE INCREASETH SORROW" and "WHERE IS THE PROPHET?" This message is only mentioned in the novel.

In the game, Ezio angrily stabs Alberti multiple times in the chest, but in the novel, he stabs him in the throat.

In the novel, it is revealed that Vieri also liked Chirstina and tried to kiss her by force, until Ezio came to the scene and fought Vieri off.

In the novel, Cristina Vespucci's name is changed to Cristina Calfucci. History shows that she is usually known as "Simonetta Vespucci," which leaves the name "Cristina Calfucci" as a probability of her Italian name. The novel also provides a short account on how Ezio met Cristina. (if u get full synchronization on story missions in ACB, it will unlock playable memories before AC2 takes place, and this is one of those missions)

Ezio heads over to Cristina's to spend the night after his father and brothers were taken to prison. In the game, the player is not given details as to where Ezio spent the night. Other parts of the book include him visiting Cristina's house, such as hours after his father and brothers are executed to collect a pouch he left there, and before Ezio meets La Volpe, wherein he helps her fiancÚ. Both events are also not in the game.

In the game, Ezio's father and brothers are executed simultaneously. In the novel, Petruccio is executed first, shortly followed by the execution of Federico, and then finally, Giovanni.

In the game, Ezio receives Paola's training after he sees his mother and sister. In the book, he receives training before he sees them.

In the novel, Ezio's first hidden blade is attached to his right forearm instead of his left.

Ezio gives his father and brothers a proper burial by placing them in torched boats set adrift into the sea. In the game, Ezio only mentions that they were given a proper burial, possibly just to ease Claudia.

Maria and Claudia Auditore stay in Mario's villa in the game; but in the novel, the two of them stay in a convent, where Claudia becomes a nun (although she later changes her mind and stays at the villa).

Ezio's second hidden blade is a double-bladed wrist weapon, not just a single blade as in the game.

In the novel, La Volpe's name is revealed to be Gilberto (although he still wishes Ezio to call him 'La Volpe'). In the game, La Volpe's name is only his pseudonym (according to the database files) and no real name is mentioned.

In the novel, Ezio respectfully kisses Jacopo de' Pazzi on the forehead before his death. Instead of ending his slow suffering by stabbing him in the throat like in the game, Ezio instead stabs Jacopo's heart.

In the game, during the trip to Venice with Leonardo da Vinci, Ezio drives the wagon while avoiding Borgia's men. In the novel, he rides a single horse and slays the five riders. Also in the novel, da Vinci has a group of wagon riders and bodyguards with him before the attack, all of whom run away at the first sign of trouble.

In the novel, Ezio's relationship with Rosa is explored in more detail; whereas in the game they merely flirt with each other. In the novel, it is confirmed that they are lovers.
In the novel, the bullets for Ezio's hidden gun are provided by Leonardo, instead of the blacksmiths.
Dante's ex-wife's name is changed from Carlotta to Gloria in the novel.

In the novel, when the other Assassins allow Ezio to join their order, they are all wearing the iconic assassin hood; but in the game they are wearing what they normally wear.

The events that cover the Battle of Forli and the Bonfire of the Vanities are told in the novel. In the game, those two events were inaccessible due to corrupt memories, and are only available through downloadable contents.

Quite possibly the most drastic change during the novel is, while Ezio is speaking to Minerva in The Vault, there is no mention of Desmond or the Modern Times Assassins. However, Minerva still mentions that Ezio only anchors the one for whom the message is intended (Desmond), hence the message is still not meant for Ezio.

In the novel, Ezio finds many codex pages on the dead remains of his enemies; such as retrieving one page from Vieri's pouch and another one in Francesco de' Pazzi's. In the game, Ezio finds most of the Codex Pages in Templar banks.

In the novel, Rodrigo's fate differs. Ezio walks out of The Vault to witness Rodrigo Borgia die after commiting suicide by drinking poison, believing that he had failed his life's purpose of getting into the vault. His last act is to ask Ezio what he saw in the Vault, to which Ezio replies "Nothing. No one," leading Borgia to die believing everything he had done in life was for nothing. In the game, after Ezio defeats and spares him, Borgia is left alone to come to terms with his misery as Ezio enters the Vault, and the Pope is no longer seen for the remainder of the game, and it is presumed that he still lives. It is also a big change in the storyline, but it should not be considered canon since Rodrigo appears alive in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Unlike in the game, it is revealed in the novel that Mario is shown many times to be nervous of the fact that Ezio shares the knowledge of the Codex to Leonardo, because he's not sure if anyone can be trusted with the information. Despite this, Ezio still goes to Leonardo to decode the pages and improve the hidden blade.

In the novel, the hidden blade is more often referred to as the "codex blade."

In the novel, Ezio cuts a cross mark on some of the corpses of his targets, such as Silvio and Dante, likely as a symbol of the Templars.

In the novel, Leonardo discovers that the Codex hides a map, even without having all of the pages. In the game, Ezio is the one to find out from Mario, by using his Eagle Vision.

In the novel, Ezio constantly changes his hidden blade between the poison blade and the normal blade but in the game when Ezio gets the poison blade he doesn't change it at all.

The novel uses Italian and Latin terminology, just like the game, but instead, releases the terms between numbered pages 509-516.

The Zoo Boy
11-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Oliver Bowden wrote a novel called Assassin's Creed: Renaissance, based on Assassin's Creed 2. It was released in the United Kingdom on November 26th, 2009, six days after the UK release of Assassin's Creed II, and was released in North America on February 23th, 2010. Also, a Kindle edition was released November 26th, 2009.

Despite being a textual version of the game, there are some mild differences present in the novel. There are also things added into the book that were not included in the game.

In the novel, Vieri de' Pazzi throws a rock at Ezio and it hits him in the forehead. In the game, it hits him on the right side of his lip, giving him the characteristic scar shared also with Alta´r and Desmond.

During the first fight with Vieri de' Pazzi, Ezio (including his allies and Vieri's thugs) is said to have a dagger with him; though in the game, Ezio gets his first weapon only when he finds his father's Assassin robe. Also, the fight scene in the novel takes place late at night, while in the game, it is set in the afternoon.

When Ezio heads over to the pigeon coop to receive the note for his father, he finds some graffiti behind the coop that reads: "HE THAT INCREASETH KNOWLEDGE INCREASETH SORROW" and "WHERE IS THE PROPHET?" This message is only mentioned in the novel.

In the game, Ezio angrily stabs Alberti multiple times in the chest, but in the novel, he stabs him in the throat.

In the novel, it is revealed that Vieri also liked Chirstina and tried to kiss her by force, until Ezio came to the scene and fought Vieri off.

In the novel, Cristina Vespucci's name is changed to Cristina Calfucci. History shows that she is usually known as "Simonetta Vespucci," which leaves the name "Cristina Calfucci" as a probability of her Italian name. The novel also provides a short account on how Ezio met Cristina. (if u get full synchronization on story missions in ACB, it will unlock playable memories before AC2 takes place, and this is one of those missions)

Ezio heads over to Cristina's to spend the night after his father and brothers were taken to prison. In the game, the player is not given details as to where Ezio spent the night. Other parts of the book include him visiting Cristina's house, such as hours after his father and brothers are executed to collect a pouch he left there, and before Ezio meets La Volpe, wherein he helps her fiancÚ. Both events are also not in the game.

In the game, Ezio's father and brothers are executed simultaneously. In the novel, Petruccio is executed first, shortly followed by the execution of Federico, and then finally, Giovanni.

In the game, Ezio receives Paola's training after he sees his mother and sister. In the book, he receives training before he sees them.

In the novel, Ezio's first hidden blade is attached to his right forearm instead of his left.

Ezio gives his father and brothers a proper burial by placing them in torched boats set adrift into the sea. In the game, Ezio only mentions that they were given a proper burial, possibly just to ease Claudia.

Maria and Claudia Auditore stay in Mario's villa in the game; but in the novel, the two of them stay in a convent, where Claudia becomes a nun (although she later changes her mind and stays at the villa).

Ezio's second hidden blade is a double-bladed wrist weapon, not just a single blade as in the game.

In the novel, La Volpe's name is revealed to be Gilberto (although he still wishes Ezio to call him 'La Volpe'). In the game, La Volpe's name is only his pseudonym (according to the database files) and no real name is mentioned.

In the novel, Ezio respectfully kisses Jacopo de' Pazzi on the forehead before his death. Instead of ending his slow suffering by stabbing him in the throat like in the game, Ezio instead stabs Jacopo's heart.

In the game, during the trip to Venice with Leonardo da Vinci, Ezio drives the wagon while avoiding Borgia's men. In the novel, he rides a single horse and slays the five riders. Also in the novel, da Vinci has a group of wagon riders and bodyguards with him before the attack, all of whom run away at the first sign of trouble.

In the novel, Ezio's relationship with Rosa is explored in more detail; whereas in the game they merely flirt with each other. In the novel, it is confirmed that they are lovers.
In the novel, the bullets for Ezio's hidden gun are provided by Leonardo, instead of the blacksmiths.
Dante's ex-wife's name is changed from Carlotta to Gloria in the novel.

In the novel, when the other Assassins allow Ezio to join their order, they are all wearing the iconic assassin hood; but in the game they are wearing what they normally wear.

The events that cover the Battle of Forli and the Bonfire of the Vanities are told in the novel. In the game, those two events were inaccessible due to corrupt memories, and are only available through downloadable contents.

Quite possibly the most drastic change during the novel is, while Ezio is speaking to Minerva in The Vault, there is no mention of Desmond or the Modern Times Assassins. However, Minerva still mentions that Ezio only anchors the one for whom the message is intended (Desmond), hence the message is still not meant for Ezio.

In the novel, Ezio finds many codex pages on the dead remains of his enemies; such as retrieving one page from Vieri's pouch and another one in Francesco de' Pazzi's. In the game, Ezio finds most of the Codex Pages in Templar banks.

In the novel, Rodrigo's fate differs. Ezio walks out of The Vault to witness Rodrigo Borgia die after commiting suicide by drinking poison, believing that he had failed his life's purpose of getting into the vault. His last act is to ask Ezio what he saw in the Vault, to which Ezio replies "Nothing. No one," leading Borgia to die believing everything he had done in life was for nothing. In the game, after Ezio defeats and spares him, Borgia is left alone to come to terms with his misery as Ezio enters the Vault, and the Pope is no longer seen for the remainder of the game, and it is presumed that he still lives. It is also a big change in the storyline, but it should not be considered canon since Rodrigo appears alive in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Unlike in the game, it is revealed in the novel that Mario is shown many times to be nervous of the fact that Ezio shares the knowledge of the Codex to Leonardo, because he's not sure if anyone can be trusted with the information. Despite this, Ezio still goes to Leonardo to decode the pages and improve the hidden blade.

In the novel, the hidden blade is more often referred to as the "codex blade."

In the novel, Ezio cuts a cross mark on some of the corpses of his targets, such as Silvio and Dante, likely as a symbol of the Templars.

In the novel, Leonardo discovers that the Codex hides a map, even without having all of the pages. In the game, Ezio is the one to find out from Mario, by using his Eagle Vision.

In the novel, Ezio constantly changes his hidden blade between the poison blade and the normal blade but in the game when Ezio gets the poison blade he doesn't change it at all.

The novel uses Italian and Latin terminology, just like the game, but instead, releases the terms between numbered pages 509-516.

BioPulse.ps3
11-03-2010, 09:58 AM
with this mega post you convinced me to buy the book. thank you... i guess

CNightingale
11-03-2010, 11:25 AM
*a few novel spoilers here*

The book is all right. I mean, if you have nothing better to do, you can go ahead and read it. But some parts in the book seems silly, like whenever Ezio goes off to do a leap of faith. The pacing is also weird sometimes.

Sort of off tangent here, but something bothers me about this:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> In the novel, Cristina Vespucci's name is changed to Cristina Calfucci. History shows that she is usually known as "Simonetta Vespucci," which leaves the name "Cristina Calfucci" as a probability of her Italian name. The novel also provides a short account on how Ezio met Cristina. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure why there are some people out there who think Cristina Vespucci and Simonetta Vespucci are the same. They could be, but I highly doubt it. I don't see any correlation besides the name "Vespucci." But if anybody can point to proof in the game that they are one and the same, I'll be grateful.

Simonetta Vespucci died on April 25/26, 1476, the same year AC2 starts. The novel, on the other hand, said she died during the Bonfire of the Vanities, which takes place in the 1490s (Interestingly, Simonetta Vespucci was supposedly Giuliano de Medici's mistress. Giuliano de Medici died on April 26, 1478 in the Pazzi Conspiracy, pretty much the same day Simonetta died but two years later.)

So yeah, for me, the author pretty much confirms Simonetta and Cristina are different people. Unless you don't consider the novel to be canon. *shrugs*

Anywaaaay, the novel does provide some interesting additional insight. I recommend seeing if you can borrow it from the library or just read it at the bookstore instead of buying it. Not really worth the money.

obliviondoll
11-03-2010, 11:42 AM
I own the book, am glad I do, and think it's even more awesome that my copy is strawberry scented (not going to explain why).

Definitely worth the read, but don't touch it (and put spoiler tags on this thread) until you finish the game. Including DLC.

Captain Tomatoz
11-03-2010, 12:16 PM
hes also written a book for brotherhood

Click here! (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Assassins-Creed-Brotherhood-Oliver-Bowden/dp/0241951712/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1288808160&sr=8-23)

itsamea-mario
11-03-2010, 12:21 PM
well i think it's because the book covers ezios story, only.
where as the game is more about desmond learning from ezio, where ezio spent the night doesn't seem like a vital piece of knowledge, so i assumed they skipped those bits.
and the bits that are different, i can only assume oliver bowden deemed his way better for a book.

dlonewolf1994
11-03-2010, 02:20 PM
interesting read. i actually have the book. but i never bothered to continue reading it. for some reason... guess now i know what al be reading http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The Zoo Boy
11-03-2010, 04:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Biopulse.PS3:
with this mega post you convinced me to buy the book. thank you... i guess </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dlonewolf1994:
interesting read. i actually have the book. but i never bothered to continue reading it. for some reason... guess now i know what al be reading http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome lol...u guys will enjoy it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Also, I am only going by what Assassin's Creed Wiki says about Cristina Vespucci and Simonetta Vespucci, although my opinion is I do think that they are the same person, as Cristina fictional, while Simonetta is real, so I think that Cristina is at least based on Simonetta, if not the same person. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Also, sorry about the spoilers guys lol, I just assumed that it would already be known...but how do I put spoiler tags in the title? Thanks alot in advance. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif