PDA

View Full Version : general and specific ? re engine overheat

deskpilot
02-10-2009, 09:07 AM
having flown the tempest, yak 3, lightning and corsair I appreciate that different planes have different overheat characteristics. Currently I'm finding the corsair gives me the engine overheat quite soon into a mission, and temp doesn't drop to normal quickly like it does in the yak. I realise that as you open the radiator more you increase drag so cooling v speed is a trade off. I also know that the corsair needs to be flown fast as an energy fighter to get the best out of it...so my questions are.. What settings for Rad ,prop pitch do those of you with more corsair experience then me ( I'm flying the 1945 cannon armed "C" variant by the way)find work best for enabling the high speeds needed without giving you engine overheat, and secondly, how long could I ignore the overheat message for before my engine blows up? (I realise there is a sure-fire way I could find this out for myself but I'm worried about the sharks in the Pacific!)

deskpilot
02-10-2009, 09:07 AM
having flown the tempest, yak 3, lightning and corsair I appreciate that different planes have different overheat characteristics. Currently I'm finding the corsair gives me the engine overheat quite soon into a mission, and temp doesn't drop to normal quickly like it does in the yak. I realise that as you open the radiator more you increase drag so cooling v speed is a trade off. I also know that the corsair needs to be flown fast as an energy fighter to get the best out of it...so my questions are.. What settings for Rad ,prop pitch do those of you with more corsair experience then me ( I'm flying the 1945 cannon armed "C" variant by the way)find work best for enabling the high speeds needed without giving you engine overheat, and secondly, how long could I ignore the overheat message for before my engine blows up? (I realise there is a sure-fire way I could find this out for myself but I'm worried about the sharks in the Pacific!)

HayateAce
02-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Been flying the 1C on Skies of Valor, and whoa does it overheat quick. I climb out at 100% with boost on and rad open to 2 or 3. Climbs decently well if you keep the speed to 300kph, but once the "fight's on" the overheat comes and stays.

You have some time before she blows or even begins to become damaged, but every time the fighting lulls, you'd better be climbing and cooling. Not always easy.

Maybe someone will post one of those odd gaming tips like, "run at 103% with rad at 5 and it will never overheat."