PDA

View Full Version : The Good, the bad , and the ugly.. A review of Chessmaster GrandMaster

Legionetrangere
11-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Some of the posts were asking for reviews of "The Art of the learning " so here's my two cents.

Overall. The best way to describe my impression of Chessmaster 11 is to compare it choosing the Windows Vista Upgrade .In that it has some nice graphics and some good features, but is more like an update from the previous software than a new product. Expensive for a few nice add-ons.

The Good

Stylish new interface. Almost worked straight out of the box for my Win XP laptop and Vista desktop. Lots of chess sets to choose from and now a feature to play games offline .i.e post and leave the moves on the website for your opponent. Expanded DVD tutorials and teaching instructions by Josh. Very interesting and informative.

The BAD

My desktop has new dual intel processors and a good top of the line dual graphics cards. Yet to me the chess sets appeared at a lower resolution and less sharp than on Chessmaster 10. I noticed under the preferences tab that Anti-Aliasing options are no longer there. Even though the Read-me files says you can adjust it, I can't find it anywhere. Maybe they just left it out ?? This could be due to the The Art of learning self detecting and choosing the graphics level for you. Which to my mind is a step backwards since each computer is different and you need to able to adjust them. Logging onto the Ubisoft online feature was not straight forward, in that it suddenly after a 10 minute wait kicked in, but I still don't know why.

The Ugly.

Saw a maximum of 16 players that have been online in total. No-one to play with for hours, even on a Saturday night. It could pick up , but it is very likely a very small club. NOT compatible with the Chessmaster 10 , which also is not good for numbers. AI same as previous release, except seemed to be slightly dumber. Even at the 1800 rating "The Art" loves to throw away peices for no good reason.Though the interface is nice , in reality it's Chessmaster 10 deluxe, no real developments under the hood. Even to the point of Online games not being saved. Sounds familar ?

Legionetrangere
11-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Some of the posts were asking for reviews of "The Art of the learning " so here's my two cents.

Overall. The best way to describe my impression of Chessmaster 11 is to compare it choosing the Windows Vista Upgrade .In that it has some nice graphics and some good features, but is more like an update from the previous software than a new product. Expensive for a few nice add-ons.

The Good

Stylish new interface. Almost worked straight out of the box for my Win XP laptop and Vista desktop. Lots of chess sets to choose from and now a feature to play games offline .i.e post and leave the moves on the website for your opponent. Expanded DVD tutorials and teaching instructions by Josh. Very interesting and informative.

The BAD

My desktop has new dual intel processors and a good top of the line dual graphics cards. Yet to me the chess sets appeared at a lower resolution and less sharp than on Chessmaster 10. I noticed under the preferences tab that Anti-Aliasing options are no longer there. Even though the Read-me files says you can adjust it, I can't find it anywhere. Maybe they just left it out ?? This could be due to the The Art of learning self detecting and choosing the graphics level for you. Which to my mind is a step backwards since each computer is different and you need to able to adjust them. Logging onto the Ubisoft online feature was not straight forward, in that it suddenly after a 10 minute wait kicked in, but I still don't know why.

The Ugly.

Saw a maximum of 16 players that have been online in total. No-one to play with for hours, even on a Saturday night. It could pick up , but it is very likely a very small club. NOT compatible with the Chessmaster 10 , which also is not good for numbers. AI same as previous release, except seemed to be slightly dumber. Even at the 1800 rating "The Art" loves to throw away peices for no good reason.Though the interface is nice , in reality it's Chessmaster 10 deluxe, no real developments under the hood. Even to the point of Online games not being saved. Sounds familar ?

Sunlwalk3r
11-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Is there a way to activate anti aliasing now?

McAfee82
11-06-2007, 10:39 AM
It seems AA can be enabled thru the configs, but not the menu. Could anyone confirm?

Maybe there are known issues with AA and they decided to disable it?

Or they forgot to add it in?

likesforests
11-06-2007, 11:19 AM
I was considering trying a 3D set like the HOS Reykjavik (http://www.houseofstaunton.com/Reykjavik.html) (which I happen to own in person) but the edges are so rough that it's distracting... anti-aliasing might help. I returned to the 2D expert set, which is sharp and clear.

SSBN617
11-06-2007, 02:53 PM
I set anti-aliasing through the video settings and it works fine. Should be through the game though.

shimmerkopf
11-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Yes, anti-aliasing can be turned on thru config.
Open the file "data\users\<name>\<name>.ini" in a text editor (<name> being the name of the profile you're using) and find the line "antialiasing_samples=0". Change the value to your liking (eg. 4) and save.

Just noticed that changing the board settings thru menu will turn anti-aliasing back off. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

willy_297
11-07-2007, 04:25 AM
i use a NVDIA 7950 GT aliasing via name_ini dont work because when i close cheesmaster the ligne sample switch back to zero and wherever i set to 2 or 4 anyway theres no differences.

taraboste
11-07-2007, 07:22 AM
You must use only the anti-aliasing through the video card settings. Not change manually the ini file, please. We do not guaranty the resultīŠ!

willy_297
11-08-2007, 04:26 AM
like i said setting manually the ini.config has non effects so i can write 8 10 or 16 there's no
difference.so dont say that is dangerous.LOL

chessou
11-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Please ubi ! put the anti aliasing option back in chessmaster!
Please!