PDA

View Full Version : Price point for SOW-BoB?

Worf101
09-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Considering the long development time, (5 going on 6 years?) and the need to recoup this significant up-front investment, what do you figure the final cost of the game will be once for sale? I figured $69.00 U.S. would be about right, ONLY if they deliver on the promised goods and the game provides a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over IL2 and any other current combat flight sim. $49.00 is the traditional "sweet spot" for new releases but if this game is what is hoped for the addition twenty bucks might wouldn't cause much of a squwak.

If the game fails to ignite word will get around quickly and a price reduction might soon follow. What's your take?

Da Worfster

Worf101
09-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Considering the long development time, (5 going on 6 years?) and the need to recoup this significant up-front investment, what do you figure the final cost of the game will be once for sale? I figured $69.00 U.S. would be about right, ONLY if they deliver on the promised goods and the game provides a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over IL2 and any other current combat flight sim. $49.00 is the traditional "sweet spot" for new releases but if this game is what is hoped for the addition twenty bucks might wouldn't cause much of a squwak.

If the game fails to ignite word will get around quickly and a price reduction might soon follow. What's your take?

Da Worfster

Choctaw111
09-10-2009, 08:15 AM
If I remember, FSX cost much more than the average $49.00. I cannot recall exactly how much, but I thought I paid about $70.00 for it back when it was new.
I believe that SoW right off the shelf will be a much better product for that money.

JG52Uther
09-10-2009, 08:55 AM
17/$20 is about right for the UK as a pre order.
+ 1500 for a new computer to play it.

stalkervision
09-10-2009, 04:26 PM
http://media.myspacepimper.com/content/image/funny/funny_1151.jpg

Chivas
09-10-2009, 04:57 PM
We should be paying atleast $300.00 for entertainment value alone, but SOW will probably sell for the 50-70 dollar range.

stalkervision
09-10-2009, 06:12 PM
I believe in every game there will be a statement saying the user is to not make fun of oleg's english also. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

WTE_Galway
09-10-2009, 06:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stalkervision:
I believe in every game there will be a statement saying the user is to not make fun of oleg's english also. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

be sure

jarink
09-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Who knows what the initial retail price will be. However, within a month or two of release it will probably be available in the Wal-Mart bargain bin for $20.

doraemil
09-11-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm kind of wondering to.

Will SOW take advantage of people waiting for IL-2's successor and charge $70 US ish range prices?

If you look at ROF's initial pricing model, they did kinda take advantage of the starving WW I simmers.

1) Beta release
2) charge for new planesets

I wouldn't be surprised if they go 70 US, of how I really enjoy this game and the time spent on it.

Or will they charge normal 49.99 US prices for new game release?

I think SOW will be a real eye opener. It will do what we've come to expect from IL-2 1946, but even more.

This is just from the general experience with Oleg (look at Il-2, and even they have a new patch).

WTE_Ibis
09-11-2009, 04:39 AM
I'll pay it - if I can still remember what it's for.

Worf101
09-11-2009, 07:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Ibis:
I'll pay it - if I can still remember what it's for.

. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
SPEW!!!!!! Mwa ha ha ha ha...

Coffee all over my keyboard... LOL, you got me that time ya bastiche... Well played sir.

Da Worfster

stalkervision
09-11-2009, 07:43 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

horseback
09-11-2009, 08:30 AM
I don't expect to pay much more than the average 'jump-off' price; I figure that Oleg's intent is to provide a new expansion pack to fit into the base game every year or so to maintain cash flow.

Given that Microsoft has apparently given up on flight sims, he may also have an eye on expanding into the general aviation simming field. That would be quite do-able if the game engine is as robust as we expect it to be, and we all know how nature (and any dog) abhors a vacuum.

cheers

horseback

Urufu_Shinjiro
09-11-2009, 11:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:

Given that Microsoft has apparently given up on flight sims, he may also have an eye on expanding into the general aviation simming field. That would be quite do-able if the game engine is as robust as we expect it to be, and we all know how nature (and any dog) abhors a vacuum.

cheers

horseback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, Oleg said precisely that in his last interview over at SimHQ, he is directly targeting those third party developers left hanging by M$, and the game is designed for just that sort of thing, civilian as well as military.

buddye1
09-11-2009, 01:41 PM
It is my guess that Oleg will be concerned with selling as many copies of SOW as possible based on his follow-on startegy of selling game expansions for many years.

He will be concerned about base game sales/coverage and future expansion sales.

He may want to keep his base game (SOW) price reasonable just like ROF did.

TheFamilyMan
09-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I'll guess that SoW:BoB will release at about $50 to $60, followed by $30-$40 expansion packs in the following months. IMO asking anything more initially will guarantee a flop in the general market no matter how great it is for its genre. After all, what does the average Joe Q. Public know or care about what makes a great flight sim?

One thing to be sure: No rig in existance when SoW:BoB releases will be able to crank all its settings to highest without producing a slide show. This may also be a big turnoff as well, as it was for FSX.

FSX had two versions available on release: $45 for standard and $70 for deluxe. I bought the deluxe edition for $45 around 6 months after its release.

DuxCorvan
09-12-2009, 01:18 AM
I think it must be subsidied by our Governments and distributed for free in our mail-boxes.

I want my taxes finally used in the right way.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif