PDA

View Full Version : Possible Upgrade? Better FPS.

06-25-2004, 12:14 PM
I was wondering what the best way to improve FPS would be in IL2FB? When I play some single player missions that have alot of planes and ground action going on I get some bad FPS and its rather frustrating. Heres my specs...im looking for the cheapest way out. New video card or cpu/MB. Or neither?

AthlonXP 2400+
Nvidia NF7 MB
MSI GeForce 4 4800 SE
1 GB PC2100 Ram
80 GB IBM Deskstar HD

06-25-2004, 12:14 PM
I was wondering what the best way to improve FPS would be in IL2FB? When I play some single player missions that have alot of planes and ground action going on I get some bad FPS and its rather frustrating. Heres my specs...im looking for the cheapest way out. New video card or cpu/MB. Or neither?

AthlonXP 2400+
Nvidia NF7 MB
MSI GeForce 4 4800 SE
1 GB PC2100 Ram
80 GB IBM Deskstar HD

moeburn
06-25-2004, 12:40 PM
turn off anti-aliasing/anisotropic?

LStarosta
06-25-2004, 12:46 PM
My IL2 FB won't even start if I turn on anistropic filtering. I can fly with decent antialiasing though, 4X, usually, but for screenshot purposes I boost it to maximum.

I've got an old GeForceFX 5600...

http://home.comcast.net/~l.starosta/sig2.jpg
Spacer nad Berlinem!

ddsflyer
06-25-2004, 12:57 PM
Two things really matter in flight sims. One is processor speed the other is videocard speed and ram. Neither of those you have are very fast. Upgrading either will help. Replace your videocard with a Radeon X800 series and/or bump up your processor speed to the 3000+ range. My system will run 1200x1600x32 with every setting at the highest and 4XAA and 4XAF. The alternative is to run at lower screen resolutions or color depth or turn down settings in the game.

P4 3.4GHz Northwood
Intel D875PBZ
ATI Radeon X800XT PT
1.0GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
W.D. Dual 80GB SATA RAID
Plextor PX-708A
Lite-On 52x
Creative Audigy2 ZS

conundrumx
06-25-2004, 04:39 PM
I have a 2600 Barton w/ fx 5900SE and only 512 pc2700 ram. I have 4x AA w/ 4xaf at 1024x760x32 and I am able to fly stutter free with no noticeable slowdowns even with DCG off-line camapaigns (lots of plains and ground battles). Doesn't seem like my setup is much faster than yours. Do some tweeking. Remember to use OpenGL always and s3tc texture compression. Sound seems to make a difference too. I turn off all hardware acceleration w/ little affect on overall quality I believe. See how it works for you.

mortoma
06-25-2004, 05:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ddsflyer:
Two things really matter in flight sims. One is processor speed the other is videocard speed and ram. Neither of those you have are very fast. Upgrading either will help. Replace your videocard with a Radeon X800 series and/or bump up your processor speed to the 3000+ range. My system will run 1200x1600x32 with every setting at the highest and 4XAA and 4XAF. The alternative is to run at lower screen resolutions or color depth or turn down settings in the game.

P4 3.4GHz Northwood
Intel D875PBZ
ATI Radeon X800XT PT
1.0GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
W.D. Dual 80GB SATA RAID
Plextor PX-708A
Lite-On 52x
Creative Audigy2 ZS
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have a XP-2100 and a TI-4600 and I have no trouble running FB much at all. Maybe this guy is trying to run on Perfect or Excellent, which I would not recommend if you have any processor less than 2.6GHz and a newer video card. But running less than perfect or excellent you can still get a really nice looking picture. Also I don't recommend using multitexture in IL2setup, cause I get quite a bit worse FPS with it. And you normally don't need anything higher than 2X AA and Aniso. Also another big factor that helps with slower processors is to reduce the number of objects and aircraft to a lower level. You can do that by putting these lines in your conf.ini file:

RandomFlights=1 ( or even lower )
AirIntensity=Low
GroundIntensity=Low

mortoma
06-25-2004, 05:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by conundrumx:
I have a 2600 Barton w/ fx 5900SE and only 512 pc2700 ram. I have 4x AA w/ 4xaf at 1024x760x32 and I am able to fly stutter free with no noticeable slowdowns even with DCG off-line camapaigns (lots of plains and ground battles). Doesn't seem like my setup is much faster than yours. Do some tweeking. Remember to use OpenGL always and s3tc texture compression. Sound seems to make a difference too. I turn off all hardware acceleration w/ little affect on overall quality I believe. See how it works for you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually, with a system similar to his but slower even, I get less stutter in DX mode than I get in OpenGL. OpenGL gives me a slightly higher FPS as far as average and peak, but when I get over cities and lot of ground fire ( or both ) I get bad stutters in OpenGL while I barely skip a beat in DX mode. The tiny bit of FPS increase you get with OGL, is not worth it IMHO. I'll loose a couple of frames per second any day to reduce stutter in AAA and over cities.