PDA

View Full Version : No replay value in Revelations

ElGrandeLupo
11-29-2011, 11:41 AM
For the first time, i am very dissapointed in an AC game. I'm a big fan of AC and i've been aboard since AC 1 and one of those things that made me play my AC games over and over again, is the ability to step away from the main storyline for a while and do alot of other stuff ( like doing assassination missions, other missions or as in Brotherhood, fraction and templar agent missions ) but in ACR, there's not really much to return to other than the main storyline.
Only two fraction missions? You gotta be kidding me....
Doing master assassin missions just ain't enough.

As usual, i pre-ordered the Collectors Edition and here i'm dissapointed as well. All i get is a level where i have to rush through in under 7 minuttes to recive a blade. I feel a bit cheated out of my money here.

It is such a shame since the settings in ACR are truly beautiful. I love running around in Constantinople and i also like the ability to carry bombs and blowing guards to kingdom come.

In my point of view, too much effort has been made creating the animus island. Those missions could have been ditched for more in-game content.

Unless i see a bunch of missions being added through a DLC, then this game is a one time event for me.
I never thought i would feel this way with an AC game to be honerst but i still have high hopes that AC III will be a even better than AC II.
Only time will tell though.

ziljn
11-29-2011, 12:12 PM
You should leave this in the feedback thread. It's just going to get lost among the regular threads.

Assassin_M
11-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Are you sure about that ?
Cuz ever since I 100%-ted It, I delete my save game and start over to get 100% yet again,Iv done so about 4 times already..

LightRey
11-29-2011, 12:18 PM
I replayed the entire game once already. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

SolidSage
11-29-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm replaying all the missions that I need to 100% sync.
The collectables take up a massive amount of time, as does filling up on the total allotment of recruits.

Total 100% sync, (not just story missions) accounts for a ton of replay, challenges etc and I personally feel that there is more replay 'value' to ACR than any of the others. It's my personal favorite out of the series.

I mean just re-entering so you can wander around and smash peoples faces in is replay value enough, let alone perfecting the free running routes.

On a side note, all that talk about Jannisaries being difficult seems silly when they crumble under a well thrown heavy weapon just like all the other AI. Just make sure you pick up the right weapon or you're screwed!

EscoBlades
11-29-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm on my 3rd playthrough. So yeah http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Assassin_M
11-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by EscoBlades:
I'm on my 3rd playthrough. So yeah http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
I love the expression http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

I mean the AC series is one of those that you cant just put on the shelf after 1 play-through only..
Actually, you need a couple of playthroughs to be able to take in all the EPICNESS !!
One play-through is NO WHERE NEAR enough..

AssassinTrio
11-29-2011, 02:32 PM
I thought ACR has the most replay value. In fact, it took me 18 hours to beat the whole story in a length of 5 days and I still didn't feel like I soaked in the whole feeling of it. I just wanna go back and beat the whole thing over again, once I've done everything there is to be done in my first play-through.

TheTruth3402
11-29-2011, 02:46 PM
I think a big difference with this game is that there are far fewer real enemies.

We have Tarik, Manuel and Ahmet.

However, we never really get to know these men as well as I would like. They obviously weren't all together neglected, but I never felt a real sense of dislike for any of these men.
Compared to Cesare in ACB it is a stark contrast. I passionately wanted that swine to be eliminated!

Also,I agree with OP about not having enough faction missions. On one hand, we have to keep in mind that was a HUGE part of the last game; these groups essentially were part of the Brotherhood. But I don't feel they should have been so neglected in this version.

Yes, we have the 3 men mentioned above, the hunt for the keys and the Sofia factor, but there should still have been room for some well thought out side missions and better back story for our enemies.

iNvid22
11-29-2011, 02:51 PM
i've finished it 100% but will probably do it again in a few days time, it took 20hrs first time round which isn't a lot compared to Brotherhood.

The signs of a 1 year cycle are obvious, but ACR is the first one where i want to replay it very quickly after completion, the missions were pretty fun

luckyto
11-29-2011, 02:51 PM
This game has far more replay value than Brotherhood. I may never replay it as much as AC1 or AC2; but I will definitely give it at least three run throughs.

rocketxsurgeon
11-29-2011, 02:53 PM
I don't agree that it has no replay value. As someone stated above, you have to play through it at LEAST twice to really take it's epicness in http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

GunnarGunderson
11-29-2011, 02:54 PM
I agree, the single player felt extremely lacking and the multiplayer seemed to have had more effort put into it

souNdwAve89
11-29-2011, 03:22 PM
ACR has more replay values out of all the games. I am doing the remaining side quests, leveling up my assassins, taking over cities, etc.

E-Zekiel
11-29-2011, 04:30 PM
To me, AC1 had the most replay value. With ACR coming second.

But with that said, none of the AC games really have a lot of replay value, to be honest. AC:R had the potential, with random events...but then, it only had two random events. So, heh.

Compared to Red Dead's like 30-50+. I played Red Dead single player over and over for like a year. Not even story stuff all the time either, I'd just get on, ride from town to town and check out random events. Never got boring, even if I saw a lot of them multiple times. The variety, combined with feeling like a nice guy/hero after doing them, really was great to me.

luckyto
11-29-2011, 04:34 PM
^ What he said.

AnthonyA85
11-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Shame Red Dead is PS3 only, if there'd been a PC version i would have looked into getting it. The Zombie addon looked cool on youtube.

xCr0wnedNorris
11-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Red Dead Redemption is also on Xbox. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

AssassinTrio
11-29-2011, 06:17 PM
To me, ACR had the most replay value. AC1 had the most memorable and fun missions. The only reason I don't like to replay the missions is because first, I have to listen to Al Mualim talk. Second, I have to do those listening to the crowd side stuff, and then I have to talk to the person in the Bureau. Other than that, AC1 beats all games in most boundaries to me.

zhengyingli
11-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Replay value of AC games has always been the same. No new game pluses. Brotherhood started the whole 100% sync, so that's a bonus. ACII wouldn't allow replay of story missions within the save file, so that's a minus, and most restricted of the release in terms of replayability. Revelations? Same as Brotherhood, minus some missions. If you can find some replay value in AC1, surely there's something for Revelations.

mustash
11-29-2011, 06:26 PM
To the OP: I don't agree that it has NO replay value, as after all, i'm on my 3rd playthrough. I think what you meant to say is that is has little going on outside the main story path in the way that AC2 and Brotherhood had. AC2 and Brotherhood had a lot more side missions to occupy your interests in addition to the main game. ACR curiously has very little outside of Dens, the mediteranean defense meta game and the master assassin missions to supplement the main path. It is actually, a step backwards for the series in that regard. Hopefully AC3 will make the series feel epic in scale again, rather than just good enough.

AssassinTrio
11-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Ok I have a question and it may contain spoilers:

<span class="ev_code_WHITE">Remember how before every time you had to get one of Altair's key's you needed to go somewhere and search for a hidden book? Well after beating the whole game (and of course the Altair missions), I was walking around and I went to that Colosseum type place and I climbed that little structure in the center. As I was going up, it was glowing with circles and what not. So I reached the top and it told me to look for one of Polo's hidden books and I was like "wahh???" So I did it anyway and after I do so it said that something was complete but I forgot what it was...</span>

Is this some kind of bonus or what not?

mustash
11-29-2011, 06:31 PM
I think what you are talking about are the book quests, they are just extra books that you can find (and purchase I think from book shops?).

AssassinTrio
11-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Oh, ok. Thanks for telling me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

kriegerdesgottes
11-29-2011, 07:48 PM
To be fair, no AC game has ever had great replay value although I feel the potential is still there. I will say though that at least in Brotherhood I could go back and replay assassination missions or do the virtual reality training both of which are missing from Revelations but I think AC will continue to have little replay value especially to casual gamers who aren't big fans until they master the art of random missions. The random missions in this game were imo a huge disappointment.

AssassinTrio
11-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Yea like carrying boxes http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Animuses
11-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Side missions doesn't make a game have replay value, the story and gameplay do.

kriegerdesgottes
11-29-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Animuses:
Side missions doesn't make a game have replay value, the story and gameplay do.

I would agree this is true for you and me who love the franchise and free running and the historical aspect of the games. I play the games daily or close to it until the next one comes out totally content running across roof tops killing guards but either way this gets old especially when you are doing it over and over in one city. I think that random missions, if done correctly, would enhance the replay value by leaps and bounds. They just need to do it like RDR did.

AssassinTrio
11-29-2011, 08:33 PM
I find Turkey to be a very nice city. I think I'm enjoying it more than Rome........god I hope I didn't jinx that...

SolidSage
11-29-2011, 08:35 PM
I have said before that Player assigned objectives, over all AC maps, that could be listed online for other players would be awesome.
The Objective giver would have to be able to assign AI and one of a set of standard missions like Assassinate, Gather Intel, etc. but the ability to totally overload a challenge with AI, or set time limits or other constraints would be schweet!

First Objective: Go kidnap Sofia from the book store area then take her somewhere secret like, disrobe (her), take some pics and send to Solidsage@*****... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gifI kid I kid. She is tasty though. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

deadly_thought
11-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by ElGrandeLupo:
For the first time, i am very dissapointed in an AC game. I'm a big fan of AC and i've been aboard since AC 1 and one of those things that made me play my AC games over and over again, is the ability to step away from the main storyline for a while and do alot of other stuff ( like doing assassination missions, other missions or as in Brotherhood, fraction and templar agent missions ) but in ACR, there's not really much to return to other than the main storyline.
Only two fraction missions? You gotta be kidding me....
Doing master assassin missions just ain't enough.

As usual, i pre-ordered the Collectors Edition and here i'm dissapointed as well. All i get is a level where i have to rush through in under 7 minuttes to recive a blade. I feel a bit cheated out of my money here.

It is such a shame since the settings in ACR are truly beautiful. I love running around in Constantinople and i also like the ability to carry bombs and blowing guards to kingdom come.

In my point of view, too much effort has been made creating the animus island. Those missions could have been ditched for more in-game content.

Unless i see a bunch of missions being added through a DLC, then this game is a one time event for me.
I never thought i would feel this way with an AC game to be honerst but i still have high hopes that AC III will be a even better than AC II.
Only time will tell though. this

only ACR actually convinced me not to bother with AC3 if this is the direction ubi is heading in i dont want any part of it i can always catch up on the story through youtube bottomline is this a substandard game that was obviously rushed and lacking alot of the content we love replaced with content we hate one of the worst multiplayer experienced ive ever experienced (and i played ACB for a year)wich was also rushed combined with a high price tag = bye bye

YHHTQ
11-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by AssassinTrio:
I find Turkey to be a very nice city. I think I'm enjoying it more than Rome........god I hope I didn't jinx that...
Turkey isn't a city.

goclo822
11-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by mustash2003:
To the OP: I don't agree that it has NO replay value, as after all, i'm on my 3rd playthrough. I think what you meant to say is that is has little going on outside the main story path in the way that AC2 and Brotherhood had. AC2 and Brotherhood had a lot more side missions to occupy your interests in addition to the main game. ACR curiously has very little outside of Dens, the mediteranean defense meta game and the master assassin missions to supplement the main path. It is actually, a step backwards for the series in that regard. Hopefully AC3 will make the series feel epic in scale again, rather than just good enough.
This. My main problem was the elimination of the side challenges. I think it took me about 1-2 weeks (not playing straight but playing regularly) to complete the whole game, all the side challenges included. I loved doing the mission for the courtesans/thieves/mercenaries. There was a lot of variety in them and they were a nice length. That to me is what determines a games replay value.

The main storyline of Revelations does have some great replay value but the main storyline also felt like it was on a smaller scale than Brotherhood. There wasn't as much variety in the missions in Revelations as there was in Brotherhood and without the side mission to do after finishing the game, it just eliminated the amount of replay value that the previous ACs had.

ElGrandeLupo
11-30-2011, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by go_clo:
This. My main problem was the elimination of the side challenges. I think it took me about 1-2 weeks (not playing straight but playing regularly) to complete the whole game, all the side challenges included. I loved doing the mission for the courtesans/thieves/mercenaries. There was a lot of variety in them and they were a nice length. That to me is what determines a games replay value.

The main storyline of Revelations does have some great replay value but the main storyline also felt like it was on a smaller scale than Brotherhood. There wasn't as much variety in the missions in Revelations as there was in Brotherhood and without the side mission to do after finishing the game, it just eliminated the amount of replay value that the previous ACs had.
Exactly my point.

The game just becomes to linear when there are no side quests/missions or random events to keep you busy in between following the main storyline.

Linear games dosen't have to be a bad thing as such but i just didn't expect that from Ubisoft after the previous 3 AC games.

LightRey
11-30-2011, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by EscoBlades:
D:
I would start a 3rd replay, but I usually wait till the single player DLC.

roostersrule2
11-30-2011, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by TheTruth3402:
I think a big difference with this game is that there are far fewer real enemies.

We have Tarik, Manuel and Ahmet.

However, we never really get to know these men as well as I would like. They obviously weren't all together neglected, but I never felt a real sense
of dislike for any of these men.
Compared to Cesare in ACB it is a stark contrast. I passionately wanted that swine to be eliminated!

Also,I agree with OP about not having enough faction missions. On one hand, we have to keep in mind that was a HUGE part of the last game; these groups essentially were part of the Brotherhood. But I don't feel they should have been so neglected in this version.

Yes, we have the 3 men mentioned above, the hunt for the keys and the Sofia factor, but there should still have been room for some well thought out side missions and better back story for our enemies. And leandros but I felt sorry for Tarik. Manuel was a fat idiot and I wanted Ahmets head on a plate after SPOILERS he killed Tusuf SPOILERS.

S-EVANS
11-30-2011, 05:08 AM
When it comes to replaying through any title in this franchise, its much more rewarding to play through the missions from the start instead of completing the side missions, etc...

Its just preferrence really if you get satisfaction from 100% completing any game and love that status symbol of having 1000/1000 Gamerpoints then the side missions become gameplay to those people. However for those who really dont strive for perfection sidemission wont be considered replay value content.

This doesnt mean that if you dont replay the storyline you wont enjoy it or even discover something that you may have missed the first time around. I have no doubt that we will see a degree of DLC content in the future that will probably add some sort of additional objectives/missions, etc.

Personally i would rather replay the storyline than upgrade recruits, and renovate buildings. but thats just me...

Kaena2012
11-30-2011, 05:38 AM
I agree somewhat with the op
Other then 100% sync there is really not a ton to do. Both AC1 and 2 i have played about 3 or 4 times each and Brotherhood i was on my second time around before ACR

goclo822
12-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by ElGrandeLupo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by go_clo:

Exactly my point.

The game just becomes to linear when there are no side quests/missions or random events to keep you busy in between following the main storyline.

Linear games dosen't have to be a bad thing as such but i just didn't expect that from Ubisoft after the previous 3 AC games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah exactly. It wouldn't have been so bad had we not had the other AC's to compare it too but because we do, Revelations just feels off in comparison. They shouldn't be downgrading the game and without having those side missions, the entirety of the game just feels way too short. They could have made the main storyline of Revelations the same length as AC2/Brotherhood but I didn't notice because I spent so much time on AC2/Brotherhood playing side missions and running around the city so they automatically felt longer.

Yesterday I was replaying Brotherhood and I was going to do the main storyline but stopped myself to do all of Leonardo's missions, some templar agents and some thieve missions. By the time I had done that, I was too tired to even touch the main storyline.

Side missions add a lot to the storyline and makes the overall game much longer.

donngold
12-01-2011, 07:46 PM
I dont mind the idea of less side missions for a better main storyline with varied "city events", but sadly i found only 2. And i walked the sreets...alot.
IM THE PUNCHER OF PUNCHES!!! and "Could u move these boxes 3 feet that way?"
Thats it?

Ansatsushas
12-01-2011, 10:17 PM
When I bought AC2 (long after it came out), it included DLC's, so when I played the entire game it was long and epic and I remember thinking to myself, geez this is value for money.

ACB and ACR have both been good, but both have been too short. I got 90% sync on my first go of ACR and feeling a bit empty with the lack of side missions and story missions.

Still a great game, but not as much replay value as the previous titles imo.

Jack-Reacher
12-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Do what I do, make AC videos. Trust me making AC videos for youtube makes you think a hell of a lot more, it makes you more motivated to do missions in a unique way. I would like to see more single player videos on youtube that think outside the box like in THB

goclo822
12-02-2011, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by donngold:
I dont mind the idea of less side missions for a better main storyline with varied "city events", but sadly i found only 2. And i walked the sreets...alot.
Thats it?

I wouldn't have minded the lack of side missions too had the main storyline had more variety and length.

That was another thing. Those "help the citizen missions" or whatever that they mentioned were no where to be found. I did the box one and that was the last I heard of them. I thought they would be all through the game. "IM THE PUNCHER OF PUNCHES"? I haven't found that one. Do you remember where you found it?

PhiIs1618033
12-02-2011, 03:30 AM
What Jack said. Making a single video alone, I spent over two and a half hours in the game. On one mission.
There are quite a few of these types of missions, so, yeah, that's how I get my replay value, although I think this is artificial. I'll probably have more hours in AC2 than I'll be getting in AC:R, despite never having played that game for anything but the storyline and 100%.

Also, multiplayer is supposed to be good, but I haven't touched it yet. :P

donngold
12-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by go_clo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by donngold:
Thats it?

I wouldn't have minded the lack of side missions too had the main storyline had more variety and length.

That was another thing. Those "help the citizen missions" or whatever that they mentioned were no where to be found. I did the box one and that was the last I heard of them. I thought they would be all through the game. "IM THE PUNCHER OF PUNCHES"? I haven't found that one. Do you remember where you found it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If u walk the streets youll find it, its stupid just a guy looking for a fistfight. U beat him up get 500 uh...dollars and some bomb ingredients its dumb but its the only other city event ive seen

ElGrandeLupo
12-03-2011, 09:40 AM
I've only seen 2 city events as well. Beat up a guy and carry boxes. Developing a wide range of world events would do AC good in the future ( look at Red Dead Redemption to see how well it works ). That would add a whole new dimension to the gameplay.

I did my 100% in ACR ( as i did in ACB ) but going for 100% sync just ain't enough for a satisfying replay in my book.
In AC II and in ACB we were presented with a nice bunch of side-missions to keep the gameplay very interesting and for me, that's something that will keep me replay those games over and over again.

Animuses
12-03-2011, 10:00 AM
AC2 had replay value because the story was excellent and the gameplay was fun. That is a true replay value.

ACB had replay value because most of the game was filled with side-missions. That isn't true replay value.

ACR seems to have to least replay value out of all AC games at the moment. It's story doesn't pull me in like the first two games and Abbas really irritates me, so I can't even enjoy the Altair segments.

You know what AC2 does that ACR doesn't? It gives a great continuation of Altair's story.

kriegerdesgottes
12-03-2011, 11:41 AM
To me the story and side missions add little to no replay value. I don't want to replay the story over and over for replay value. I might replay the story once or twice over the course of a couple years but that's not replay value even though the option should def be there (ACII!?). AC has always suffered from lack of stuff to do after you beat the game. Yeah for me it's super fun to run across rooftops and kill guards. I can do that for a while and take in the scenery but it needs something to keep you there. This is admittedly difficult to do in open world games but it can be done. They tried in Brotherhood with the dice game which was a good idea but the game itself was boring and they still haven't fixed the problem with having tons of money and nothing to spend it on. Secondly they screwed up the random missions which could have really fixed the replay value of the games but they were terrible in Revelations and too few and far between on top of it.

I've said it a thousand times but RDR's answer to re playability is what AC needs. But it has to be done right.

ProdiGurl
12-03-2011, 02:11 PM
I thought they would be all through the game. "IM THE PUNCHER OF PUNCHES"? I haven't found that one. Do you remember where you found it?

Ya I came across that one 2 times but I don't remember where I was wandering around at the time.

You're right, I just don't find those random quests anywhere either - they aren't common.

But Imo, ACR has more replay value than the others because the missions aren't as long, tedious and difficult.

I'm replaying it right now and finding more in the game the 2nd time around. I like the missions better too.
Each one of the games have a uniqueness & charm to them, so they're all special in a different way to me.

This game keeps me busy for days, so I'm really not seeing how it has less replay value unless you just plain don't care for the game or the changes made?

ProdiGurl
12-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I thought they would be all through the game. "IM THE PUNCHER OF PUNCHES"? I haven't found that one. Do you remember where you found it?

Ya I came across that one 2 times but I don't remember where I was wandering around at the time.

You're right, I just don't find those random quests anywhere either - they aren't common.

To the OP,
Imo, ACR has more replay value than the others because the missions aren't as long, tedious and difficult.

I'm replaying it right now and finding more in the game the 2nd time around. I like the missions better too.
Each one of the games have a uniqueness & charm to them, so they're all special in a different way to me.

This game keeps me busy for days, so I'm really not seeing how it has less replay value unless you just plain don't care for the game or the changes made? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Grazel69
12-03-2011, 05:22 PM
wtf is every one saying?
How can anyone play through this [swearing removed] game 3 times (or more)?!