PDA

View Full Version : What joystick do you recommend? X-45? X-52? Something else?

Hurricane_320
02-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Thinking about buying a new joystick. What would you recommend?

Hurricane_320
02-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Thinking about buying a new joystick. What would you recommend?

LEXX_Luthor
02-14-2006, 10:32 PM
I posted some stuff for another simmer Praetorian about the deceptively simple and very low cost (twenty dollars) Saitek Cyborg Graphite here...scroll down the page. Its the best bet unless you like the loaded full featured sticks. Best, its very solid, extremely so.

~> http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/6341018114

JG52_Helgstrand
02-15-2006, 12:35 AM
Thrustmaster Top Gun Afterburner aint bad....
Seperate throttle, rocker or twist for rudder, enough buttons. $60, $80 for the FF version at compusa, cheaper on-line...

Had mine for a couple of years and had no serious problems with it yet. Still works like new, even though I have been itching to try something different.

Mines the non-force feedback version, so not sure if the FF is as good.

http://www.maximum3d.com/reviews/afterburner.htm

Freelancer-1
02-15-2006, 12:59 AM
Although the X-45 and 52 look a lot alike they are really quite different.

IMO, they are both good sticks. If you like to feel some resistence in the stick go with the 45 and if you want exceptionaly light stick forces go with the 52.

Having used both, I have to say I prefer the X-52. It did take some getting used to and a lot of fiddling with the control panel and profiler. But once set up it just feels right. Like an extension of your arm and not something you are fighting with.

In any case you should really try to find a store that has demo models on display and give 'em a try-on for size. If it dosen't feel right in the store, it aint gonna be any better when you take it home.

The 45 uses a rocker for rudder control and the 52 uses a twisty stick. If you use pedals it doesn't really matter. But if you don't, I think the twisty may be easier to use.

That about all I can think of at the moment,

Lucius_Esox
02-15-2006, 02:57 AM
I've got an X52, and for it's price it's hard to beat I would imagine. I had a Microsoft FF2 before though and unfortunatley that was such a good stick that it shows up the x52's shortcomings imho.

For dogfighting it's just not as snappy and good. Don't get me wrong it's a beautifull stick and accurate it just takes more movement (real physical movement of the hand) to move the same distance that a FF2 does.

I've tried editing dead zones etc but I have had it three months now and still cant get it right http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Not had it long enough to assess it's reliabilty but if the j/stick was a little snappier it would be the perfect stick, and at that price!!

Allied_Killer
02-15-2006, 06:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hurricane_320:
Thinking about buying a new joystick. What would you recommend? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

X45 for throttle only, combine it with Fighter stick and rudder pedals from CH and you'd be satisfied for years to come.

Edit: you can still pick up used X45s for around $30.00, the stick is probably shot but you don't need it anyways.The throttle is built like a brick and should never break.

Markku38
02-15-2006, 09:47 AM
I have CH Products...
Fighterstick, Pro Throttle & Pro Pedals - lots of money burned by them but I'm satisfied.

TX-Zen
02-15-2006, 10:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Markku38:
I have CH Products...
Fighterstick, Pro Throttle & Pro Pedals - lots of money burned by them but I'm satisfied. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

I use the fighter stick USB along with a cougar throttle and TM Elite rudder pedals...best setup I've ever used.

Imho the CH stick can't be beat for this game.

TC_Stele
02-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Get the 52 if you can. The 45's stick is just too stiff, however you can fix that with a clip on the spring, I think.

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-15-2006, 11:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TX-Zen:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Markku38:
I have CH Products...
Fighterstick, Pro Throttle & Pro Pedals - lots of money burned by them but I'm satisfied. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1

Imho the CH stick can't be beat for this game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+2

II_JG1_Falke
02-15-2006, 11:42 AM
I highly, highly, highly recomend the CH FighterStick USB.

Very smooth and very accurate! Got it two weeks ago after my MS Precision 2 passed away. I was worried at first, but that wore off in a hurry because this is a much better flight stick, and I don't say that lightly.

S!

idahosniper
02-15-2006, 11:54 AM
A Microsoft Sidewinder 2 works great for me and I think it's a lot cheaper than some of these other ones. That is, if they still make it. I think its pretty old, relatively speaking.

NonWonderDog
02-15-2006, 12:01 PM
I am very happy with my X-52, but there are better sticks for IL-2. If you fly jet sims too, though, and you don't want to spend outlandish amounts of money, it's your best bet.

Microsoft FF Pro 2 is probably the best for IL2, particularly if you like force feedback. At this point, though, it's only available second-hand and it's completely unsupported by Microsoft. CH products are very solidly built and accurate, but you pay for it.

DmdSeeker
02-15-2006, 12:08 PM
I prefer my 52 to my 45; and prefer either of them to my cougar.

MadBadVlad
02-15-2006, 12:45 PM
I recently upgraded from a Saitek Cyborg Gold USB to the Saitek X-52 Hotas and have no complaints whatsoever. I don't like a stick that fights me so the fact that the X-52 is generally light to the touch is good for me. The X-52 stick and throttle are HUGE, they take up a lot of desk space and this really shocked me coming from a single average sized stick. I have them set up just fine now though. I use CH Pro Rudder Pedals instead of the twisty stick. The vast number of readily available buttons, rotaries and sliders on this setup is excellent for mapping flight controls and trimming a plane has become natural to me for the first time using the X-52. Its also great for complex engine management.

I would imagine the CH Fighterstick is a better quality build and has greater precision in the main joystick movements/centering, but it doesn't have the vast range of assignable controls available on the X-52 stick/throttle combo and costs a good 35 more JUST FOR THE STICK ALONE. If I had a vast amount of free cash, which I don't, I would get the whole CH Pro setup, but for the money you cannot beat the X-52 Hotas.