PDA

View Full Version : New pilot here

binfordw
09-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi all,

Like to thank all of you for helping me get Pacific fighters going on my machine- its a blast.

Been flying around for a while now, having a good time. Anybody have any simple tips for a noob pilot?

I tried some carrier take-offs and landings last night, I can take off fine on full difficulty, landings on ground are do-able but not real pretty, and carrier landings, well.... I made 5 passes before finally touching down on the deck, my hook caught but my wing also caught the tower... Unfortunetly me and my gunner didnt make it, lol. But thats full difficulty, the cockpit views a bit tricky for me to get used to for landings. Guess I need to use the ships tower as a reference point so I know if Im gonna clear it.

Anyway, great game!

binfordw
09-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi all,

Like to thank all of you for helping me get Pacific fighters going on my machine- its a blast.

Been flying around for a while now, having a good time. Anybody have any simple tips for a noob pilot?

I tried some carrier take-offs and landings last night, I can take off fine on full difficulty, landings on ground are do-able but not real pretty, and carrier landings, well.... I made 5 passes before finally touching down on the deck, my hook caught but my wing also caught the tower... Unfortunetly me and my gunner didnt make it, lol. But thats full difficulty, the cockpit views a bit tricky for me to get used to for landings. Guess I need to use the ships tower as a reference point so I know if Im gonna clear it.

Anyway, great game!

Art-J
09-28-2005, 10:55 AM
There are no simple tips for a complicated game/sim! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif ...

... but I'd suggest checking this adress:
http://www.airwarfare.com
Many articles, FAQs and other info over there, just browse the menu on the left and start reading. Sticky threads in General Discussion sub-forum might come handy as well.

Good luck!

Art

major_setback
09-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Tip: If you didn't know... you can raise your seat (only in certain aircraft) to get a better view. You have to set a key command in the 'controls' section.
This only works if you open the cockpit canopy first! (A key has to be assigned to this function too, and it only works for certain aircraft, usually carrier based ones).

Opening the canopy produces more drag, which will slow you down...good for carrier landings. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Stackhouse25th
09-28-2005, 01:12 PM
have you thought about joining an online squadron?

Look us up:

http://www.VFA25.com

We help you learn quicker.

Air_Bomber
09-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Hi. I'm also new (been playing for a month or so). Are most squadrons accepting of relative rookies? I'm no stranger to flight sims, but we all know that not all flight sims are alike. I've been playing IL2 and Pacific Fighters (just looking for FB&A now) for about a month, and I'm in the process of perfecting my flying and aerial gunnery (tougher than you'd think...that time compression key is awesome). Should I look for a squadron now, or wait until I get better?

Cheers,
AB

Punkfriday
09-28-2005, 03:32 PM
buy il2:fb/aep gold and do a merged install. its fantastic!

Bearcat99
09-28-2005, 05:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Punkfriday:
buy il2:fb/aep gold and do a merged install. its fantastic! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the best tip I can give you too. That and hit the Sturmovik Essentials link in my sig.

Kuna15
09-28-2005, 06:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by binfordw:
Been flying around for a while now, having a good time. Anybody have any simple tips for a noob pilot? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stick with one maybe two aircraft (favourites) and you will learn fast. Learn basic flight manoeuvres. Then practice it in quick mission builder and also practice gunnery a lot.
The most important thing is to stick with one or two aircrafts.

kalaluth
09-29-2005, 04:36 AM
Hi,
You can download and play the Wildcat_training campaign. (http://www.simulation-france-magazine.com/download.php?op=mydown&did=429).
It was designed as a learning tool for Pacific Fighters.

pacettid
09-29-2005, 04:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Air_Bomber:
Hi. I'm also new (been playing for a month or so). Are most squadrons accepting of relative rookies? I'm no stranger to flight sims, but we all know that not all flight sims are alike. I've been playing IL2 and Pacific Fighters (just looking for FB&A now) for about a month, and I'm in the process of perfecting my flying and aerial gunnery (tougher than you'd think...that time compression key is awesome). Should I look for a squadron now, or wait until I get better?

Cheers,
AB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi AB,
The Fallen Angels are recruiting, and would love to have you. We are a U.S. squadron that meets twice a week, Thursday nights for practice and a Sunday meeting/fly-in. We have a dedicated, on-line, hi-bandwidth server, with historical plane sets and realistic scenarios. We normally fly "full switch", minus speedbar.

If you think you might be interested, just let me know here and I will meet you on our public TeamSpeak channel at a time of your choosing...we love "relative rookies"!

STENKA_69.GIAP
09-29-2005, 04:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Air_Bomber:
Hi. I'm also new (been playing for a month or so). Are most squadrons accepting of relative rookies? Should I look for a squadron now, or wait until I get better?

Cheers,
AB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personaly I think it's better to get recruits early in their flying - then their rate of progress is rapid and they enjoy themselves more.

Click on my badge to access the GIAP site, look in the training section and pick out and download the gunnery base training.

Each mission has a different skill that needs working on. Basicly you can run the mission and practice offline then send in tracks for objective criticism and hints.

EnGaurde
09-29-2005, 05:13 AM
binfordw,

perhaps the best tip is, beware of the "expert" on these forums.

you will find an immense amount of assistance here, but you also find tedious, number obssessed nitpicking accountants.....

there is no "best plane".

there are simply planes you enjoy flying.

i love the Zero and the Ki61. And the Fw190.

Most american nd russian planes hand me my aresuh on a plate.... but not too often.

and someimes im in a situation where the flight modeling benefits me. almost historically. Its these moments that make me smile.

im between computers right now so i cant offer too many flight tips, all i can offer is that you try as many aircraft as you can, recognise and accomodate the shortcomings of all flight sims and try not to be dragged into the arguments over numbers and quoted data and the like....

enjoy the sim for what it is and dont take it too seriously.

its a great pasttime and best of luck, digger.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

danjama
09-29-2005, 06:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">enjoy the sim for what it is and dont take it too seriously. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second this! Especially when ur flying online and in a squad, it can tend to get serious at times. Be careful not to take the bail! Have fun! When you get pissed, just go off line for a bit. it helps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

binfordw
09-29-2005, 10:22 AM
I've been flying the Dauntless (sp?) alot, I like the way it feels so far. Guess maybe as I fly more and try other planes I might realise its downfalls, but it works for me now.

Been getting better at trying carrier landings, but still havent pulled one off. I'm making the proper passes and approaching at close to the right speeds with everything ready, but just cant time the touchdown right.

Luckily landings and takeoffs on ground are going pretty good. Getting alot smoother with those http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for all the tips and help!

Equilizer
09-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Carrier landing tip: Carrier landings are controlled crashes. You approach at a low speed and a decent sink rate and then you chop throttle just before the arrestor wires, flare, and slam your airplane in a three point landing onto the deck right where the arrestor wires are.