PDA

View Full Version : Non fiction books on Luftwaffe, Japanese & Soviet airforces during ww2

XyZspineZyX
11-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Many years ago, I read a book called Hitlers Luftwaffe, which is without a doubt the best non fiction book I have ever read on the subject. I now wish to start collecting books on this subject, does anybody know if Hitlers Luftwaffe is still available? or are there better books now available. I am also searching for books on Soviet & Japanese airfoces

XyZspineZyX
11-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Many years ago, I read a book called Hitlers Luftwaffe, which is without a doubt the best non fiction book I have ever read on the subject. I now wish to start collecting books on this subject, does anybody know if Hitlers Luftwaffe is still available? or are there better books now available. I am also searching for books on Soviet & Japanese airfoces

SkyChimp
11-25-2005, 11:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Originally posted by dasriech:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don€t know if that book is still available or not. I never read it or heard of it. But with respect to book on the Luftwaffe, good lord, there€s tons of great ones. I€d suggest you peruse this website:

http://aeroplanebooks.com/

There are just so many on the Luftwaffe I don€t know where to begin.

On the Soviet Air Forces, most of what I have are reference books on Soviet aircraft.
Hope someone can help you out here. The above website may have something.

On Japanese Air Forces, I recommend 3 right off the top of my head. The first is:

Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War
Rene Francillon
Naval Institute Press

This is mainly a reference book on Japanese aircraft. But it has good sections on the IJNAF and IJAAF, along with aircraft designation systems, markings, etc.

The next one would be:
Japanese Naval Aces and Fighter Units in WWII
Ikuhiko Hata & Yasuho Izawa
Naval Institute Press

This is a book on just what it says. Almost nothing in terms of aircraft information, but a lot on aerial actions, units, markings, etc. This one is hard to find as it is out of print at this time (I think). But if you can locate a copy, it€s a must.

The third would be:

Japanese Army Air Force Fighter Units and their Aces 1931-1945
Ikuhiko Hata, Yashuho Izawa & Christopher Shores
Grub Street

Pretty much the same as above but on the IJAAF. Another must. Still in print AFAIK.

A good 4th for Japanese information would be the book:
Emblems of the Rising Sun
Imperial Japanese Army Air Force Unit Markings
Peter Scott
Hikoki Publications

This is a soft cover (but very nicely done) 130 page book really intended for modelers that shows the markings of just about all known IJAAF units. It€s a great book if you ever wanted to know what unit a beautifully marked Japanese plane belonged to.

These 3 books (and the 4th would be very useful) would give you and outstanding base of information on Japanese airforces. After these, collecting what you want or what interests you would be fine. Of course you can do it any way you wanted. But If I had to reduce my collection of books on the Japanese down to 3 or 4, I€d keep these.