PDA

View Full Version : trouble installing--PLEASE HELP! I'M PISSED!

rdfeather
10-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Well I'm having major problems trying to install Myst IV. I think it might relate to this safe disk BS. After the fiasco of URU online, I would have thought that Ubisoft would be very careful about not infuriating it's formally devoted fans. Of course I've opened the game already so the store won't take it back. I am not a computer geek and don't know half of what most of you are talking about. I just want to play the GD game! I have a Dell computer that was purchased about two years ago. I have plenty of memory; I don't know how much but I know it's a lot. My DVD-rom is a Liteon LTD163. That's about all the information I know enough to give. The system requirements on the box gave no warning about any safe disk problems and I don't see why I should go out and buy another DVD-rom, for $30 or $300. I tried to update the driver and couldn't figure out how to do it. Please help, or refund my $40. And next time, please indicate on the box that major problems will ensue and one must be a savy computer guru to get the game to run, even install, properly. Problem: when I try to install, it runs for about 30 seconds then the DVD drive starts clunking/clicking loudly and won't progress. Infuriating.

AJ98-1
10-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Rant understood http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You might want to check the readme file for troubleshooting and other important installation issues.

On the back of the box, in a bright yellow box, there is a line that reads:
"NOTE: this game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may interfere with some DVD-RW and virtual drives."

I know there are additional details elsewhere on this web site.

Now, please tell us a bit more - are you getting an error message when you try to install? If so, what is the text of the error message?

What OS are you running? If XP, 2000, or NT, do you have administrator rights on the machine? (without those, you won't be able to install much of anything)

There are a number of different ways to install a driver.

Right click my computer
(here you will see your processor, OS and service pack level, and physical Ram)
click hardware manager
find the CD drive in the list
right click
properties
update driver

One way to check and test your video card:
Start menu
Run...
type DXDIAG
hit enter

rdfeather
10-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Thanks for replying quickly. I have Windows Xp and I assume by "administrator rights" you mean that the thing is registered in my name.. it is.

I'll try your suggestions. But to let you know, as I said, when I try to install it goes through the install wizard, but when I get the progress bar on the bottom it shows only a small fraction of progress before the drives starts having a major asthma attack and then showing no more progress. No error message or anything, and this is with the very first disk.

Also, thanks for pointing out the "bright yellow" box on the game box but you've got to be kidding! There's got to be (or should be) a law against putting a warning in type smaller than a baby mouse's nose hair! What a joke! I do intricate work with tiny glass beads, and I can see that stuff better than that "warning!"

rdfeather
10-11-2004, 10:43 AM
OK, it tells me to load an installation disk, which I don't know if I have. I told it to search and update anyway, and it gave me a message saying it couldn't find a better match for my hardware than the software I currently have installed. Should I search the house for this installation disk? I probably do have it somewhere... god knows where... Can I go to the company web site and get an update there? Pleae help... I'm a computer moron and I would like to play this game, even thought I'd like to ring the necks of the geniuses who made it so difficult to enjoy anything
Myst-y since Exile.

Mowog
10-11-2004, 10:55 AM
rdfeather --

I went through the same procedure you did attempting to update my DVD drivers, but it was kind of pointless. My drive uses the default driver that's bundled into Windows XP, so the drivers it's using are really all there are.

What you might want to look into, and what actually solved the problem in my case, is an update to your DVD drive's firmware. This is different from the drivers, which reside on your PC and handle communication between the computer and the drive. Firmware resides in ROM on the actual drive, and handles internal functions specific to that drive. Evidently, the older firmware is incapable of treating DVDs as data disks in some cases. at least that's what was killing my installation. Flashing the drive with new firmware has cured the trouble completely. I don't know yet if there are any side effects, but at least Myst IV is performing flawlessly.

launton
10-11-2004, 12:14 PM
here is the firmware page for the liteone dvdroms, make sure you get the correct ones, the 'dell' specific firmware updates are to the right of the screen

It may help, you never know

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=1&manufactor=17

rdfeather
10-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Okay, first: thanks to the people who are trying to help me.

I went to the website suggested and found out that my firmware version is Liteon DVD-rom LTD163 GDHF. However the choices given for upgrading do not include GDHF. So, what now? There are all these warnings that I'd better do this properly or I'll kill my drive completely, so I don't want any guesswork here. Do I need to hire someone for a hundred bucks to come in and fix this problem so I can play this **** game? Will this be the last time I buy a Ubisoft game? What a shame.

My husband, who bought me the game for my birthday, is outraged that the "warning" about this problem is in such ridiculously tiny print and started ranting about how the guys who make these (Myst) games call themselves "christian." I don't know if this is Cyan's doing or Ubisoft's doing, but it certainly reeks of the current dishonesty our country is becoming renown for. IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED BY THIS KIND OF ****, YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION, PEOPLE!!!

maztec
10-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Get a grip.

Call or write Liteon and ask them which firmware upgrade you should use. Putting a warning on the back of the box is not dishonesty, if anything else it is complete honesty. Next up that drive is supported by Dell, not LiteOn, go figure. Perhaps you should be contacting Dell for selling you a subpar hardware?

If I had half a clue as to which Dell computer you have I might be able to figure out the upgrade. I'm assuming it's a Dell because everything I've found references the LiteOn LTD163 as being a built-in Dell drive.

As it is you're lucky I'm a God of Google. GDHF and GDHG as far as I can tell are old firmwares for this drive. The Newest I can find reference to is GDHJ which is dated May 2003, which is what you can upgrade to by going to here:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?releaseid=r60826&c=us&l=en&s=gen&cs=

Hopefully that works for you. The GDHG is From December 2002.
More info can be had on this page: http://digi.rpc1.org/dell-163.php

But since the first page I listed for you IS a Dell Support page for that drive, I'm going to make a bet it will work. If it doesn't the second will downgrade you back to what you had and fix it.

That latter page even has a newer firmware from LiteOn if you're so inclined.

Now, wasn't that easy?

Oh and Happy Birthday http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

rdfeather
10-11-2004, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try. I'm upset because it seems that every time I buy a Ubisoft product lately there are major issues that a computer illerate like myself are incapable of handling without major hours of support. And my gripe with the "warning" was not that it is not present, but that I'm told I should have seen the warning which, you have to admit, is as small as you can get without being microscopic. Not very consumer friendly.

maztec
10-11-2004, 04:05 PM
And about the same size as most warnings of its type. Unfortunately you would have still probably bought the game, warning or no warning http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif So it's a rather useless warning in the end.

Hope the help works, sorry to have sounded so harsh, but such i slife. I agree Ubi seems to be dropping the ball as badly as Microsoft when it comes to QA. But at least this time they themselves can do something about it -- unlike Uru where they hate to wait for Cyan to release the patches.

rdfeather
10-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks again. But I have one more comment. Dealing with these issues may be easy for those of you who know what you're doing when dealing with the inner workings of a PC, but when you write to me "Wasn't that easy?" my answer is "No!" I can follow directions better than most people, but with this problem I'm given scary warnings that doing the wrong thing will cause dire consequences to my PC, then I'm told to look for A, but when I look for A I'm only given B, C and D. I don't know my way around these driver problems and it makes me think that these games are not for me, but are for those who can deal with these issues without becoming frustrated out of their minds. I will call Dell tomorrow and see if they can tell me what to do.

maztec
10-11-2004, 04:25 PM
I was referring to doing the research to find it as being relatively easy.

Ze Pedro
10-12-2004, 08:32 PM
In addition...

That's a problem we are all gonna face when they lauch a breakthrough game like this. Our only choices, if we want to play these games, are:

A) Try to update the machine (yes, you'll need to call a technichian if you're not comfortable doing that).
B) Get a new computer.
C) Play old games only.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I don't know if this is Cyan's doing or Ubisoft's doing, but it certainly reeks of the current dishonesty our country is becoming renown for. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's Ubi's. And I hope you're not voting for Bush. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

maztec
10-12-2004, 08:59 PM
Ok http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Lets not get into politics <g>

And Ubi is a French Canadian company http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif If anything Canadians are known for honesty?

rdfeather
10-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Zeus on Olympus! (Don't want to offend anyone.) Does it SOUND like I'm voting for Bush??? I put him right up there with $40 games that don't work properly. Worse even.

Ze Pedro
10-14-2004, 04:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rdfeather:
Does it SOUND like I'm voting for Bush??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

No, not at all. Really. I was just making sure. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

But, like Maz suggested, let's avoid this topic. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

maztec
10-14-2004, 08:30 PM
Feather, check your Private Topics.

Ubi_Warder
10-18-2004, 12:50 PM
RDFeather, even with the latest firmware, there is a good chance the LITEON drive will not recognize your CD.

LITEON drives are Infamous for incompatability with copy protected software. This is an issue the drive manufacturer is aware of, and they are currently looking into why the drives they manufactur behave in that way.

For all of you with copy protection issues, ensure you are not using one of these drives. They will appear in the device manager as Liteon or LG drives.

Liteon drives are not the only drives to be incompatible with copy protection software. The reason they are Infamous for being not compatible is that lots of PC manufacturers choose to place those drives on mass marketed models.

Feather send me a PM

patuxai
10-19-2004, 04:52 AM
I've got Myst 4 recently from Switzerland, but I,m definitely not capable of installing it. It proceeds install to the end of the first CD; it takes already a good an half an hour for this task, then I'm asked for the CD2, and here my computer claims, that he can not find CD2. I'm getting pissed as well, as many others too.
(maybe he refuses to work in a "peoples democratic republic", and my comuter is not the oldest one. System XP, Intel 3,0 G, Ram 2GB, Video card is Platinum 440.
Where could my problem reside?
Best regards,
M.R. Schaffer, Vientiane, Lao P.D.R.

maztec
10-19-2004, 11:53 AM
Heya MR Schaffer,

Odds are the issue is with your DVD drive. What drive do you have? Try upgrading its firmware. Often when you can't read Disc2 that is the cause of the problem.

Hope that helps,

Maztec

Mowog
12-04-2004, 01:08 PM
Not meaning to dig up an old topic here or anything, but I understand the frustration rdfeather was feeling. Unfortunately, with the state of technology as it is, problems like this are pretty much to be expected. These games we enjoy so much are, face it, some really incredible technology. And the unfortunate fact is that the media and delivery systems are changing constantly. That's just the way it goes... this problem with installation, as I understand it, is rooted in the simple fact that when many of our DVD drives were delivered, they were designed mainly for watching DVD movies, etc., and that was about it. Using DVDs as a data storage medium, as with Revelation, was a good ways into the future. Meaning that when many of us tried to install Revelation, our drives choked on the second disk.

I'm fairly technically savvy. I work as a Computer Tech at an elementary school, and am constantly helping kids work with Windows and a whole bunch of educational applications. I have to think on the fly and solve problems on the spot, and that's part of the appeal of the job. But I sure understand where rdfeather is coming from, as I see it in the kids and teachers at my school very often. "I just want to do this simple little task, and the computer won't let me. WHY THE #&%*$ NOT?!?!?" We have one kid with ADHD that goes ballistic at the simplest glitch, for example. And it's my job to smooth the ruffled feathers and see that the kids/teachers can do what they want to do.

We've got that kind of tech help here on the forums, in the form of Maztec, Heimdall, and others who have a keen grasp of the technology involved, and are only too willing to patiently explain it to us and talk us through the solution. I wish the technology was advanced enough to compensate for all the variables in software and hardware that we find today... I wish that computer science was mature enough to come to a single standard that all machinery and software would hew to, thus eliminating all bugs forever. But we're not there! It seems that most of the problems I end up solving at school are a matter of either old software running on new computers, or new software running on old computers. It sometimes takes some real ingenuity to make things work, and yes, there are times when I simply end up uninstalling a piece of software simply because it's more trouble than it's worth, and is no longer supported.

I may become irate when a computer glitch causes a loss of my work-in-progress, as it has then stolen a bit of my life that I have to recreate. But if the only issue is a game that refuses to load, I'm sure not going to lose my cool over it. I too had major trouble installing Revelation, but a simple consultation of this forum had me running the game flawlessly in a couple of days, thanks to a firmware upgrade.

Yeah, technology's frustrating sometimes. But you're not alone! Just ask the gurus on this forum; be patient, and be happy.