PDA

View Full Version : Douglas A 20

sarracenia
10-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Hi
Does any one fly the Douglas A 20? I am a new pilot and have a couple of questions.
I keep running out of runway when landing as the brakes don't seem to work, not sure if they had any, if not how do you reduce speed quickly, I have tried turning off engine on touchdown but still roll well off runway.
I don't seem to be able to swap from pilot to gunner positions.
Not sure how to aim for bomb release.
Ok thats 3 questions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
Thanks in anticipation
S

sarracenia
10-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Hi
Does any one fly the Douglas A 20? I am a new pilot and have a couple of questions.
I keep running out of runway when landing as the brakes don't seem to work, not sure if they had any, if not how do you reduce speed quickly, I have tried turning off engine on touchdown but still roll well off runway.
I don't seem to be able to swap from pilot to gunner positions.
Not sure how to aim for bomb release.
Ok thats 3 questions http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
Thanks in anticipation
S

FritzGryphon
10-09-2006, 01:51 PM
The brakes work like any other plane. You should check your controls to see what the brakes are assigned to.

The 'C' key is default for switching between gunner positions. You can also set commands to jump to a particular gunner position; check the control list.

The A-20 lacks a bomb sight, so you'd use the same bombing methods as a fighter-bomber or a dive bomber. I like bombing in a 40-50 degree dive. Or if you need more accuracy, fly just above the ground and drop delay-fuse bombs on the target.

actionhank1786
10-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Ok, as for the braking, i'm not really sure, make sure you're slowing down enough before you even touch down to keep your plane on the runway, but i haven't flown the 20 in a while, so i can't comment on the break.
As for switching between positions, if i remember right it's the C button, i think.
Check your options and make sure it's set right.
Then for bomb aiming, you're just going to have to get a feeling for that one.
There's no bombsight or anything, so you'll have to just get used to bombing without a sight. Just keep practicing, also, a slight dive will help you aim.
But eventually you'll get better at it!
Hope it helped!

VW-IceFire
10-09-2006, 02:45 PM
I fly the A-20G all the time. Love it as a strafer and attack aircraft. This version has no bomb sight so you attack targets like you would with a P-47 or a Corsair. Slight dive angle, a nice bomb delay (3 seconds is good), and a low overflight of the target dropping bombs usually does the trick.

The A-20C that is coming soon does have a bomb sight so you can use it as a more conventional bomber.

Sounds like your approach speed is too high or your brakes key is not mapped. Be sure that the key is mapped and then practice landing the aircraft. Touchdown speed should be under 200kph/130mph.

tigertalon
10-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Well, another not so obvious point is, that you have press and hold the button assgned for braking. As soon as you release the button, you are not braking any more.

sarracenia
10-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realise that the brake key wasn't a toggle, I will hold it down next time. I have used the c key in another bomber and it worked fine switching between pilot and two gun turrets, I'll have to check out the key assignment again. As to the bombing I will have to get some practice in.
Thanks for the help
S

tigertalon
10-09-2006, 04:09 PM
And, btw, in some bombers some gunner positions are not available for player to control, they are only controlled by AI. Such is the case with dorsal starboard gun on Ju88 (besides forward and ventral you can only man dorsal port gun). Also ventral and side gun(s) on Pe2 are not available, you can only control dorsal one.