PDA

View Full Version : Practice tips for newcomers....

Bearcat99
11-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Since there are so many newcomers here I figured I would share some practice tips. If anyone else wants to add to this feel free.

Air to Air gunnery:

Preflight:Set you convergence to 190-250m. I prefer around 200. Convergence is where the bullets will converge. On wing mounted guns and cannon this is more crucial. You want to try to set it up so that you fire on the target at convergence or as close as you can get so that your shells will do maximuhm damage. Set your bomb and rocket delay. For bombs I like 3-5 seconds. For rockets I use 0.

Settings: I probably like most of the guys here except the newer ones NEVER use map icons. Regular ID icons I can tolerate.....(although I prefer them in the pit... I really dont like those arrows.... but thats me. Online I fly to the comfort of my companions or the server host.)Offline I alternate between limitted and unlimited ammo depending on whether I am just practicing shooting or what. When running an actual mission I always use limited ammo (except for those occasions where there are so many targets that I know my load wont be enough or we are doing squad gunnery practice). I like externals. IMO the externals are a huge part of the sims greatness. I like doing the flyby http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif (does anybody kind of move forward in thier seat when they do that or am I the only one...) I can go either way with the cockpit. Sometimes I like to turn off the hudlog (the writing on the right that says throttle 80%, gear down etc.. do this by going into the conf.ini file of the IL2Sturmovik folder and change the value hudlog=1 to hudlog=0) and the speed bar and stay in the pit.. but I prefer to have those options toggleable so I dont have to reset anything. There are a lot of opinions about what is "best". Whatever floats your boat is best. You like map icons? Go for it. You prefer the full immersion deal? Thats cool too.... It's YOUR sim so dont feel that you have to set it up any way other than how you like it.... however for eventual online play some settings are better than others. Most online servers have full flight settings, stalls and spins,limited ammo,headshake,etc so if you want to fly online you dont want to get too used to not using these settings. Also go through the key commands and remember tha A)You can map them to whatever you want and B)You want to map as many as you can to your stick. I cant overemphasize this. Take the time and give it some thought. That is one reason why it is good to get some kind of multiple controller setup.. either a joystick and a Nostromo or a HOTAS setup.

Practice: Set up a Quick Mission with the aircraft of your choice. When you assign the enemy AI in the beginning set them to rookie and give them inferior aircraft. (For example if you like a 44 Spit or a Mustang then go up against an older, slower, less maneuverable plane). Some say use friendly bombers but I think it is better to use inferior aircraft. At least they will try to avoid you and they will also shoot back at you, thus keeping you in an offensive/defensive frame of mind. Turn on your icons and set unlimited ammo. Then run the mission. While you are using icons you want to pay attention to the distance value and how the plane fits in your gunsight. After a while you will get used to judging the distances and if/when you decide to do away with the icons your eye will be properly trained to judge the distances of the enemy aircraft. Fire at convergence or @.10 closer or farther away, not too much more than that because the odds of you actually hitting the target are greatly reduced. Although you will be using unlimmited ammo act as though you had little ammo. 1-2 second bursts only unless you know your target is dead in your sights and each shot will count, that way you diont develope the bad habit of spray and pray. As you progress make changes to make it more challenging. Give the AI better aircraft first then make the AI better. As you continue to improve sart to change the odds. Do 2:3 odds in favor of the AI... then 2:4. When you start to get comfortable then do away with the icons or stay in the cockpit and keep going. If I use icons I prefer to stay in the cockpit as I dont care for those arrows floating around the screen but for the most part I dont use icons when I am offline.

Air to Ground and flight basics:

For this I like to set up a Dogfight server. Go to Multiplay>Create new server>select dogfight-then hit create>select mission 2 or 4.... a mission for 2 armies (You dont have to but it makes it simpler). Once you do that then hit load>select a red or blue base>arming and then select your aircraft. If you want to practice just basic flight then you dont need any loadouts... just hit fly... start your engine taxi to the runway and take off. You can practice the landings and take offs this way. To practice ground attack do the same thing but select a weapons loadout. Bombs,rockets or whatever you like. Then hit fly. Start your engine take off and head for the nearest enemy base. These dogfight maps wont have any other aircraft unless you are online and someone joins in but they are loaded with ground targets. Try to take out as many of the enemy bases as you can. After you drop your load then proceed back to base.. land.. hit escape>refly and do it all again. I find that this is very challenging as the AI ground gunners are very accurate and rarely will you get away unscathed. Its a good way to practice bombing under fire and very challenging.

I hope this helps some of the newer folks in here. This series of sim is great and if you just give it time I can almost gaurantee that you will get hours of enjoyment out of it.

VF-29_Sandman
11-08-2004, 10:29 AM
hard part of dropping bombs from a fighter is dropping them where u want them. come in at least 1500 meters, then turn lengthwise to the target; say, a row of hangers. when starting to get close, go into a 30-45 degree dive. jugs are the easiest to get the feel for it. just when the 1st 'hanger' is about to go under the nose, chuck the bombs. dont bother using 'wonderwoman'...dropping the bombs from cockpit in the jug accurately is easier than u think. wont take long to put the iron right where u want it.

unless ur suicidal, dont try to drop bombs on a land based area at very low alt without setting the bomb fuses to at least 1.5 to 2 second delay. putting it at zero will set the fuse to 'contact'..meaning, as soon as it hits something.....boom. and if ur in the blast wave, kiss ur wings bye bye.

Dabinla
11-08-2004, 02:55 PM
this is great thanks Bear
this is a very friendly forum =)

Lucius_Esox
11-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Yeah excellent stuff wish I had something in plain English like this when I first got IL2. One thing, if your using a Force Feedback joystick it is probably best to learn how to trim your plane as can be harder to aim than needed if trim set wrong.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bearcat99
11-08-2004, 06:10 PM
It is good to experiment often in the beginning. I have my rudder trim on the twist handle of my MSFFB stick so I get my rudder as close as I can then trim it up.. but usually the target isnt that still for that long.

Simjock
11-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Practice Practice Practice.

Here's a trainging map I use from multiplayer mode to practice carrier landings, straffing, bombing, ect...

New players will find this helpful, and old players will enjoy a refresher course.

http://www.pcaviation.net/zip%20files/Training_Area.zip

icrash
11-09-2004, 07:22 PM
For those whose memory gets the best of them at times (like me), diagram button function on the joystick. Once you get use to the layout, don't change it. I sat on the runway & couldn't remember bomb release and rocket fire button. I figured if rocket fired no big deal (I really though I had the right button). I wiped out myself and the guy in front of me. I have a cheat sheet for some of the PF commands until I remember them (folding wings in flight is not a good thing unless you have lots of altitude BTW).

VF-29_Sandman
11-09-2004, 07:35 PM
another thing is, if u have a multi-function joystick like an x-45 or its equivalent, remember the seal motto of 'kiss'. aka, keep it simple stupid. program only the commands u expect to use 9x's out of 10 in the 'unshifted' state. once u get into the shift states, the modes a-c, things are goin to get complicated. he who hesitates, dies.

WTE_Ibis
11-11-2004, 12:55 AM
I fly from the cockpit but like bear I love the external views,just love the scenery and the flyby
but when bandits approach it's into the cockpit for some "real" flying.
Newbies just be prepared, on line you will be just a target for the flash flyers for some time. Only practice can change that,however if you ask there are plenty willing to help.Ask,it's the only way and I need you to keepem busy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif to keep the hot shots from killing me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Rab03
11-11-2004, 01:23 AM
One important detail: For skip bombing use bomb delay set to 0, otherwise ship would not sustain damage.

To those unfamiliar with SB tactics:
Skip bombing is performed at high speed, low level flight above water. Distance from the target (ship) at which pilot should release bomb/bombs varies depending on aircraft speed and height-requires practice. If you release bomb too late, there's a risk of bomb skipping over the ship, ie. missing it. As soon as bomb is released, pilot should maneuvre sharply away from the target to avoid damage to his aircraft due to subsequent blast. Use of 1000 lbs. bombs (or even 500 lbs.-personal experience) is not recommended.

Skip bombing is the most certain and easiest way to sink unarmed ship.

MaxBruder
11-11-2004, 10:57 PM
Thanks loads guys. This information should help a lot of people, myself included.

VF-29_Sandman
11-16-2004, 05:45 AM
i usually come in at 'mast height'. where the top of the mast is at the top of my windsheild. the more speed u have the better...more speed means u'll have more bounces; which means a bit longer range. usually put the 'tower' in the gunsite, and when it gets close to touching the ring, i pickle. u can see it done in 1 of the p-40 tracks already in game. they came in with a 1000 pounder. ez pickens. be aware that goin up against a threat is a 1 pass and haul a$$ scenerio.

Capt.LoneRanger
11-18-2004, 03:56 AM
If you want to practice without being shot at, I also recommend setting up a flight of friendly a/c. They won't shoot back and especially bombers are a great opportunity to learn...

- free flight
- aiming
- setting convergence to your needs
- hitting an opponent from other angles than his dead 6
- effects of different ammunitions and convergences under the same circumstances
- effects of hitting different areas of a plane (especially to bring down a bomber)
- spotting and keeping an eye on the opponent while maneuvering
- to get a feeling for closing-speeds and when to break away
- staying close to an aircraft - the key for formation flight (and first important step for learning dogfights, IMHO)
- maneuvers around an object in midair
- about the great damage-modelling http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

WTE_Galway
11-18-2004, 03:36 PM
** Landing Practice **

Start a multiplayer mission offline so only you are in it and turn off takeoff and landing in realism

This means that every time you hit refly and select a plane you are position just above the selected runway ready for another practice run.

** gunnery practice **

Practice in quick mission builder and start out at quarter or half speed and increase up to normal or even double speed as your shooting improves

nosibod
11-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Hi, Iam new to all this can you help me.

When i config everything to play il2 on the net it was "unable to find demo" I dont have demo disc just the origional can you help plaese

Thanks
nosibod

WTE_Ibis
11-25-2004, 02:33 AM
Simjok that address is defunkt m8

billclarke1
11-28-2004, 01:57 PM
Great info guys, thanks, as a newbie and novice pilot, my greatest challenge is flying straigh and level. How bout some tips on triming a A/C, and keeping it that way. But please, please, in plain english.

VF-29_Sandman
11-29-2004, 06:16 AM
take a look at ur intruments. specifically, the 1 that has an arrow and a floating ball under it. it's the yaw/roll indicator. check the ball first. u want it centered. if it hangs to the left side of the ball lines, give some left rudder trim. vice versa if its to the right.
next is the wings. if it's bankin to the right, give slight left wing trim. u do this with hands off the stick. give it a couple taps, wait a few secs..if still not centered, 1 or 2 more taps. each bird is different. some dont have rudder/wing trim. 109's bein 1 of em

Rab03
12-02-2004, 07:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VF-29_Sandman:
... some dont have rudder/wing trim. 109's bein 1 of em <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bf-109? Then what are those little parts painted red? I'm curious, because I've seen those, but when I recall original manual for Bf-109E, I don't remember that they mentioned rudder and aileron trimmers.

avroman
12-02-2004, 02:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rab03:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VF-29_Sandman:
... some dont have rudder/wing trim. 109's bein 1 of em <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bf-109? Then what are those little parts painted red? I'm curious, because I've seen those, but when I recall original manual for Bf-109E, I don't remember that they mentioned rudder and aileron trimmers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were trim tabs, but I think they were adjusted manually by the ground crew before flight. The pilot had no control over them while in flight.

lindy01
12-07-2004, 12:03 PM
My biggest problem is stalls and spins. I dont know if I will ever be able to fly with those on.....oh well its a fun SP game also.

DarkCanuck420
12-07-2004, 11:37 PM
I was having a world of trouble with stalls and spins, still a newb though. The solution it the joystick. search for different settings its usually because you try to turn, get no result so u start to pull harder then your plane makes the manouver too fast. since adjusting i havnt spun once.

Bros89
12-11-2004, 12:03 PM
can somebody help with the IL-2 sturmovik (just the normal game no expan) the plane testing campain level 3 where you need to take of with ski's instead of weels HOW THE HELL DO YOU TAKE OFF when i press i it always sais engine off do you need to do something or something???

Tully__
12-12-2004, 09:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bros89:
can somebody help with the IL-2 sturmovik (just the normal game no expan) the plane testing campain level 3 where you need to take of with ski's instead of weels HOW THE HELL DO YOU TAKE OFF when i press i it always sais engine off do you need to do something or something??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Click here for the answer. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=6141083152)

SHAKER214
12-31-2004, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the Tips Bearcat! I used to play a lot of Falcon online, and I really enjoyed the online co-op missions as well as the many 2V2 dogfights. it seems that Falcon has improved in some ways, but regressed in others.... I'm fairly new to Pacific Fighters, but I went ahead and got IL2 FB+AEP, and installed it over the IL2 stack....I'm currently patched to 3.03m,and I'm looking into Hyperlobby and Teamspeak. I'm currently having compatability issues with my onboard sound(realtek AC97) and teamspeak though. Anyone knows a driver or patch for this... please let me know. IL2 and PF are Beautiful sims and run amazingly well on my system!! (AMD Athlon 3000, 1Gig 400Mhz RAM, 128Mb Radeon 9200 Graphics) I'm currently running a MS sidewinder 2, but am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Saitek X52 HOTAS. I haven't stepped up to the TrackIR dog dish yet,I'm hoping the Mouselook will work on my throttle mounted mouse control when my HOTAS arrives. I would like to see some tutorials on Bombing in PF (mainly useing the bombsight).I have downloaded all of Darts Training videos, and they are very good, but it would also be nice to see some discussion on this. One other thing... I'm also interested in LOMAC, but it doesn't run nearly as well as PF on my system... even though I exceed the Recommended requirements....any input would be appreciated. Thanks again for all the help to us Newbies Bearcat!
<S> SHAKER

Talon_Sr
01-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Can some kind soul please tell me the secret to taking off from a carrier with ANYTHING other than just gun rounds? TIA

Talon

SHAKER214
01-02-2005, 11:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Talon_Sr:
Can some kind soul please tell me the secret to taking off from a carrier with ANYTHING other than just gun rounds? TIA

Talon <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Talon.. I'm fairly new to this also, but one thing.... if you've built the mission, make sure your carrier is steaming at near full speed. this way, you get the carriers speed added to your own take off speed. Also, I run my flaps two "notches" down (I don't know what this translates to in degrees). I also pull my gear up just as soon as I get off the deck, and don't try to climb too fast.. You WILL drop a little as you leave the deck, just try to make it a controlled drop. Oh.... one other thing.. If you have the Mother-in law riding with you... get rid of her....unless you plan on dropping her over enemy territory..in which case, you will probably making great advances in your country's war efforts! ;^)
<S> SHAKER

aeroknot
01-12-2005, 08:59 PM
How do I keep my quarry in sight and still keep my ride right side up?
I'm a relative newbie to this fighter jock thing and having a tough time fighting other fighters. I've tried padlocking to get oriented, but when the enemy gets up high in my canopy there are no references to tell be where how my plane is doing. I often fly into the ground, or stall as my quarry gets high or slightly behind me. Also, is the norm for flying these sims to fly the plane with the joystick and get your view with the mouse? I've flown small planes, but without the seat of the pants input that I get there I can tell when things are going wrong. I've read man of the posts about tactics and strategy, but have missed anything on this. Thanks in advance from you aces.. AeroKnot

shrike_426
01-16-2005, 07:36 AM
Keeping you quarry in the gun sights! It€s not as hard as you think. The first thing is that you don't want him in your guns sights. Now this sounds totally mad but beer with me here when you€re at 6oclock behind your enemy life easy but then your opponent pulls a maneuver lets say pulls left. If you keep your gun sights on him you€ve lost him. This by the way is a very common mistake.
You need to think where will his plane be in the next 2 seconds. Plot in your mind his flight path. Then aim about 2 seconds ahead of him. This sounds difficult but you€ll get the hang of it. this technique is referred to as leading the target, much like in clay pigeon shooting. Remember if your unsure, aim about one planes length in front of your opponent. If you lead him by too much you€ll simply catch him up, to little and you€ll lose him totally.
Once you have this grasped and you can hang on to your opponent no matter what he does the next trick is learning when to pull the trigger. This is where leading the opponent by the right amount is required if you aim to far in front your bullet will pass in front of him to far behind and thy pass behind him. Aiming on an opponent rather than in front in a turn is a deffiante no no.
i have a good screen shot as a reference if you want a copy i can email it to you just email a request for it to confusedhampster@hotmail.com

G-man-UK
01-23-2005, 05:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My biggest problem is stalls and spins. I dont know if I will ever be able to fly with those on.....oh well its a fun SP game also. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have to say I've found stalls and spins have saved my skin more than a few times from being shot down. So much so that I now deliberately stall when I feel that BF109G2 breathing down my neck. Think the worst one is the flat spin, but as long as you are high enough you can usually get out of it.

Having said all that I still seem to spend most of my time hitting the silk, I just don't seem to get as much out of my favourite plane in FB that my mate does. Is there anywhere or anyone that can tell me what the Mig3U is better at doing than the 109 G2??? I sorely want to put my mate back in his place http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cheers

JerryFodder
01-27-2005, 08:00 AM
Yes G-man, the mig3 can attack ground targets with rockets :-) Other than that your 109 pretty much outperforms the mig in most areas - but I love flying it
Personally I always arm myself up with rockets if I get the chance, particularly if someone has set a game with unlimited ammo lol They are great for hammering AAA on the enemy base and hitting bombers. I have to hit the AAA because it shags up my processor when it gets heavy - we're all better off without it on line!!

On the subject of stalls and spins, they are caused by a loss od lift on one of the wings and you need to turn your rudder full against the spin to have any hope of getting out of it. If you haven't corrected it almost immediately then you're unlikely to and i'd consider bailing long before groundrush. Some aircraft are more stable than others, i've personally found the Hurricane almost unspinable - it's so stable even pulling a hard bank. Other aircraft I find very stable are migs, Yak's and La's, 109's, 190's and the Spitfire. I'm somewhat surprised and disappointed to find the american aircraft more suited to hit and run (which I am rubbish at!) and in a dogfight you spend as much time fighting the airframe. P-40's and P-47D's in particular, the P-51 is OK.

Stalls are no problem IMO as long as you are high enough up. If you want to avoid them then keep your airspeed above 180 (depending on flap settings).

Finally, can someone please tell me what the hell a 'Jug' is? I know it's a stupid question but I haven't a clue!!!

Happy hunting.

G-man-UK
01-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the info Jerry, the Mig3 is nice, though I prefer the 3U circa 1942 which unfortunately doesn't get any loadout just cannons http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif mind you from other discussions it might be faster than the 109.

I've managed to amaze my friends on more than one occasion by getting the 109G2 in a flat spin!!! They didn't think it was possible. Still as long as you are high enough, put flaps to full bring landing gear down and push the stick forward, remembering of course to bring flaps up and landing gear up as soon as you are pointing down again(landing without gear can so ruin your day http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif). If the spin is under 1000m I'd bail out cos you'd never recover in time.

Thanks again for the info. Now I'm off to practice some more http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

G-man

OldPepper
01-28-2005, 10:31 AM
I don't have much info on this plane or that, but here's a few tips that have helped me a great deal in any plane:

1) Practice A LOT of formation flying. Super important.
This will teach you the timing of your aircraft, and will automatically begin to teach you High and Low Yo-Yo's while managing your E to reform with your group. Formation flying, while a bit boring and stressful will help you immensely in dogfighting.

2) Find your climb rate indicator and use it.
Early on, it's difficult to visually identify your level horizon. Using the climb/descend meter will really give important information. (Very early planes may not have this gauge.) It is also very helpful when landing if you've been breaking your gear often.

3) Trim elevators often. Assign a key to set elevator trim to neutral as well.
Elevator Trim, early on is far more important than most of the AEM options. On long cruises to a target area or fight, you can actually use trimming instead of direct stick input. This will also help you build speed or climb with almost no joystick input.

4) Pick only a handful of planes and get to know them really well. A good turning plane is a nice place to start.

5) Learn to Dogfight in a light bomber. For instance, flying an IL-2 vs early Bf-109s. This is almost suicidal, but learning in a slower plane that had to dogfight 109s will be a "Hard Knocks" way to improve your understanding of E (Energy) and AO (Angle Off).

6) Use combat flaps on your first Lead Turn on the merge. Pull hard too or you'll have him on your tail. Avoid head-to-head merges with fighter planes! While not a universal tip, it will help you time your first turns and give you time to correct if you blow it (too soon, or too late.) I still tend to enter a fight to soon and overshoot. Flaps help me slow dow a bit and turn harder. Formation flying helps with this too.

7) Play a lot of QMBs and learn the basics of FMB to set-up situations your are likely to find online or in missions. Having a FMB set up just for take-offs and landings can be a real help for that plane you have trouble with.

8) When offline, use time acceleration/deceleration to make long cruises shorter (stearing with trim), and to help learn deflection shooting in slo-mo. Really helps keep things organized as to tactics and energy when just starting out.

9) Lock Cockpit On. This helps you retain awareness of the relative orientation of your plane as well as learning where your blind spots are (and the bogey's).

10) Use AEM (Advanced Energy Management) Prop pitch and radiator cowling (called armor flaps in the settings area, I beleive) being the most useful. Prop pitch is especially useful when diving for extension (if the plane has manual Prop pitch.) Just listen to your engine and it will tell you when to change pitch or mixture or supercharger. NOT using AEM robs many aircraft of their optimal performance. Start using it early.

These tips helped me a lot, and still do. Formation practise has done the most for my skill in general. I can't stress this enough!

Soon I'll play online more. I've been playing this series for over a year and still stink! I should have flown formation practice early on instead of shooting down bombers...

All the best! Hope this helps someone out there. <S>

JJMcBlaster
01-28-2005, 02:28 PM
I cant imagine using limited ammo just yet! Its almost impossible to bring a fighter down with a full load! You must be "in the groove"!!

-JJ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JerryFodder
01-29-2005, 12:27 PM
'Blaster' sounds appropriate lol

If you're using all your ammo then you're going crazy and missing a lot. Use small, accurate bursts into the engine area (wings are hard to hit from behind) and you should have enough for at least 2 fighters. Also, you should be within .30 at least for effectiveness. Finally, set your convergence to around the 200m mark.

BobcatSteve
01-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Well, I guess I'm as noob as they come. Had the game 5 days now. I'm improving in every aspect except landing. Doesn't matter what I do or which plane I try it in I have about a 1 in 10 chance of not splattering myself everywhere. I keep trying in the IL2 since it seems like the most stable to fly, but like I said I've splatted numerous times in all of them. I took the advice offered in this thread and hosted a server with takeoff/landing off for a couple hours. No improvement. I AM flying at this point with no joystick, which I understand makes it tougher, but I can take off, maneuver, bomb, strafe, and dogfight with improved success every time I play.
The missions take a while, and it sucks to fly to the objectives, blow them up, go home and die landing.
I don't like the training mission for landing, because it doesn't really show you how things should look. It has lots of 2nd person shots from odd angles that don't help you see how the runway should look coming up, etc. Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve.

G-man-UK
01-30-2005, 05:10 AM
Steve,

Landings are always seem to be my bane too, though am getting better. A couple of tips that have been passed to me for landing are as follows:-

1. Don't got in so fast.
2. Throttle back to zero before you hit the ground, in fact I tend to do this way before just to try and lose speed.
3. Flare just as you are about to touch down ie bring the nose up. I've found that can cause bounce, but hang on.
4. When wheels are on the ground raise flaps immediately as they are currently creating lift you don't want.
5. Don't use brakes unless you really have to and only dab them rather than slamming them on. There's nothing more ignominous than sitting in a plane that's now on it's nose cos you braked too hard.
6. If you are going to go over the end of the runway, you can always power back up and take off and go around for another try.

Oh and you can always record a track of yourself landing to watch it numerous times to see if you are doing it right. I don't know if there are any tracks out there that you could look at that illustrate this.

Good luck

G-man

Ynebuets
01-30-2005, 09:36 AM
FYI Jerry...."Jug" was the nickname the American pilots gave to the P-47.

JerryFodder
01-31-2005, 03:16 AM
Thanks Ynebuets! Sounds about right for that flying brick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I shall use it from now on.

BobCat, you'll never land with the keyboard, it's too hard, especially with the rudder control on keys which you need for steering. Get yourself a joystick/flight yoke with a TWIST GRIP for rudder control and throttle lever. Saitek do loads of them and you should be able to pick one up for around 30. This will transform this game - if you enjoy it now then it'll take you up many levels!

Re landing, approach full flaps shallow and slow, throttle off just prior to touchdown, keep the nose up and you should gently descend the last few feet without bouncing.

IL2 is a good choice because of it's size. My trouble is landing the P39 - I'm yet to get out alive!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

BobcatSteve
02-01-2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm getting better. Seems to be my approach angle. I either come in so shallow I can't keep it on the ground or too steep and end up with ground all around me. I'm getting more than 1 in 3 now though, and I usually just break off my gear when I don't make it. Now that I know I'll be sticking to this game, I'll get a joystick when I get a chance.
I tried to get online a couple times, and nothing came up on the server list. What's the trick there? Would it be better to keep working on basics offline, or just jump in and start getting my butt handed to me?
I have a Voodoo 2 & 3 in series. It did me pretty well in another online game with similar graphics, but I can only pick DirectX or Open GL on this game. Open GL is horrible with a Voodoo, so I'm in DirectX. Is that reasonable online?
This seems like a great bunch of people. I guess when you have a game that's played by as many people over 20 as under, it helps ;-).
Thanks again for the help.

Steve.

kameron1974
02-02-2005, 06:58 PM
I find the little bubble thingy on the dashboard to be easily the most important instrument. Keep an eye on it always. Especially when you go into clouds.
Without this thing you could be upside down and not even know it.

JerryFodder
02-03-2005, 06:14 AM
I presume you are talking about artifial horizon. If your aircraft doesn't have this instrument and you find yourself disorientated then do a ctrl+F1 which flips you out of the cockpit with some fancy instruments and indicators. Once you've sorted yourself out (and presuming you do not want to keep the view) then ctrl+F1 again to cycle through the different views back to the cockpit. I think the cycle is cockpit>instruments&gunsight>gunsight only>nothing>back to cockpit.

Online you're likely to be broken into pieces very quickly without some serious practice/training or luck. I recommend doing a load of missions first and toughening yourself up with dogfights in the quick mission builder - start easy and increase the differculty settings.

WTE_Ibis
02-04-2005, 07:39 PM
BobcatSteve,
m8 you gotta get a joystick "schnell" before the enemy finds you or you are dead.
You will have no trouble landing with a decent stick and you don't have to spend megabucks.Also your enjoyment of the sim will soar just as high as your plane.
Good hunting fellas,
Ibis.

BobcatSteve
02-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Got the joystick yesterday and tried the dogfights in the mission builder. Novice on novice and got smoked. The reason I asked if it would be better to just jump in is that I played one other online game, as I mentioned above, and spent a couple months getting the basics down before I tried the online version. It was so different there really wasn't much point in spending so long offline.
Thanks,
Steve.

OldPepper
02-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Thought I'd add a bit more here for other Novices in addition to what I put in earlier.

Flying J8A's in QMB 1v1 can be very helpful at first by introducing you with more 'feel' to the distances and ranges and turn radii in classic turn and burn type fighting. Set your Convergence for 150-175m and get in real close! You'll increase this slowly as the aircraft you use get faster.

After several J8A v J8A engagements, trade up to a slightly faster plane like a Hurricaine MkII vs the J8A again. This automatically transitions you to more Boom and Zoom type tactics vs the slower and highly manueverable J8A biplane. Since your aircraft is now faster, you must use more energy type tactics to win (easily...) Start using radiator settings to help prevent overshooting too soon. Keep the Hurricaines speed up, and don't try to out turn the J8A. You'll stall. Keep your speed and Alt UP. Take a brief trackig shot then extend towards his outside circle. Hi Yo-Yo and repeat. Be careful since the J8A can force a head-on if you miss-time your angles.

Try to be "Dancing-above-their-heads" or rather cirling them from an altitude advantage (~300m or more), you can work out the "angle problems" almost in slo-motion. As you gently bank around on the enemy aircraft, pay attention to whether they are behing your wing (behind your 3-9 line) or infront of it. Generally speaking, if they are behind your wings trailing edge, they have a "3-9 advantage." If they are in front of your 3-9 (your wings point to your aircrafts 3 and 9 o'clock abeam) you have the AO (Angle Off) advantage. AO is only a tenth of all the considerations of course.

Carefully choose when to pull a very hard 'lead turn' into them either onto to their 6 oclock or from behind their 9-3 line from higher alt for a deflection shot. Aim for his engine, wing roots, or elevators. Online hitting elevators is a nice way to force the enemy pilot to disengage. He'll likely have to bail out. too.

Don't over stay your welcome when youre in a faster plane. He'll bleed your E and burn or stall you. 'E' advantage is life.

In the QMB, avoid the head on. Instead, take a slightly off angle with hopefully an altitude advantage at least. Learn to time your 'entry window' of your first lead turn. Learn what a lead turn is! Don't even bother going online until you can really time your lead turn well. Once engaged you need to decide to track shoot, or extend (run away and climb giving him no chance to aquire your 6 in range for a shot...

My fave QMBs for dogfighting a light bombers are: (pilot any plane)
Alt 2000
J8A 1v1
J8A vs Hurricaine MkIIb
Hurricaine vs early Bf-109

Also do 4vX in Flights of the above and:
2-4 P-40s vs 2-4 KI-43s
4 Il-2 ad 2-4 I-16 or hurricaines vs 4-6 Early Bf-109s Escort or AtoG. Start at 1000m (For this defended AtoG targets gets nice and hairy quickly, like an airfield.) Any light bomber will do instead of Il-2, like Beaufighter or Bf-110, Kate.

Just a start, but doing J8A 1v1 can be a real help , with learning your speed, visual estimates to distance, alt and angles (angle off.)

Also, I just installed the RAF DGEN full dynamic missions (by Extreme One and team) and it's a total blast. Even starts you off easy with basic flight training missions (the Hurricaine apparently replaced the J8A (Gloster Gladiator) in the RAF and was one of 2 primary BoB English planes.)

Also in QMB, try to match the years of Axis and Allied planes. This is a personal preference, since I enjoy the fact that certain aircraft were modified based upon their likely enemies and vice versa. Keeps you thinking and against more historical flight models.

Good reading on the basics of BFM.
http://www.fearsquadron.com/2%20Tactics.htm

The classic Falcon BFM manual.
http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_038a.html

Cockpit snapshots with gauges labeled:
http://www.partizanska-eskadrila.com/reference/cockpit.htm

IL-2 guide of sorts:
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~chapman/il2guide/index.htm

The Boom and Zoom basics (BnZ)
http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_024a.html

USN warplanes. Detailed info like cruising speed, etc.
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/air_power/ap.htm

Perhaps I'll post again if anything else comes up. Oh yeah, keep practicing formation flying!

These are really notes to myself. I'm not even close to intermediate yet.

Fighterduck
02-11-2005, 01:33 PM
I play PF and Il2 hours and hours during the week...I shoot down bombers , fighter, tank, i can use B-25 ( that i love ! )...take of and landing from a carrier...but i never...I say never...be able to taxi!!it's stupid...but...what do you hate to do to taxi? I'm not able to turn the plane...ehm...I turn it but not on the "wheel-axis"..i make a too large curve. Don't know if you "see" what i mean.

OldPepper
02-13-2005, 10:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fighterduck:never...be able to taxi!!it's stupid...but...what do you hate to do to taxi? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a single engined aircraft, you use the wheel breaks, rudders and throttle in combination. Generally making right hand turns is more difficult due to the gyro force of the props.

The plane should turn faster if you're rolling a little.

In multiple engined Aircraft, it gets a bit more tricky and you will need to have the left and right engines on separable throttles. You need CEM on (complex engine management). Use the left or right side engines throttle to help turn. Goose the left engines to turn right and vice versa. Use rudders, throttle and wheel breaks AND left or right side engine/s goosing.

In both cases, you may need quite a bit of throttle to get the ac to starts turning. Once it does, throttle back and tap the wheel brake while full rudder.

Hope this helps.

OldPepper
02-17-2005, 01:28 PM
5 minute FMB Guide (make a take-off and landing mission):

1) Open the FMB (from within the game).

2) Load a map.

3) Open the "Object" pallette (View menu> Object.) (You can zoom in to areas by holding shift and dragging around the area you want to zoom to. You can also use the zoom slider on the left side of the map. You select things buy clicking on them and Unselect by right click-and-holding anywhere on the map and choosing "Unselect" from the pop-up menu.)

4) Select "Home Base" and control-left click on the airfield of your choice to place it. On the Object Pallette you should now see a "Properties" tab. Click that and make the Army "Red". You can adjust the radius as well. Make sure the radius encompasses the airfield.

5) Now UNselect the Homebase (right click-hold and select 'unselect' from the pop-up). In the object pallette, select "Aircraft". Pick the plane you want to practice with and then control-left click on the tip of the runway where your plane will lift off towards. Your plane in the game will appear on the opposite tip of the runway...

This will place the first waypoint and the plane. Control-Click a couple more times to create a few waypoints going around the airfield. Make sure your plane is in the Red army in the properties tab. Select your fuel and weapons, markings, etc. You can change the plane at anytime as well.

6) Put the last waypoint on the other end of the runway. With that WP still selected, go to the "waypoint" tab in the Object pallette and select "Landing". On the first waypoint you made, set it to "Takeoff". For the other waypoints, you can type in the altitude and speed for each but they should be 'normfly' for the most part. 500m altitude and 200kph speed should be fine.

7) Finally, before play testing, click the "Plane" tab and make sure the "Player" box is checked on (you can place a flight as well by putting more than one plane in the # of planes area. This way your plane could be the leader (plane 1) or a wingman (2-4)).

Your "Takeoff" and "Landing" waypoints should be on the opposite ends of the runway. Your plane will begin on the opposite side of the runway where your Takeoff waypoint is!

8) Save the mission to a "Training" folder (you may need to make one) in the single missions folder of your FB install, then go to the File menu> Play. Enjoy!

NOTE: For any moving object (such as planes and supply columns, tanks, etc) you MUST MAKE AT LEAST 2 WAYPOINTS or you will get an error upon Play testing.

You can place a few barrage balloons, stationary aircraft or whatever, to shoot at as well! Placing enemy aircraft is similar to the above. To air-start, just make your first Waypoint "normfly" instead of Takeoff.

The FMB is the bees-knees and you'll find yourself in it very often setting up various situations. There's a lot more to it than this, but this should get you started at least.

Your mission may look like this once you're done.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/BumbleFish/TakeOffSample.jpg

Wolf52371
02-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Instead of using friendly bombers for target practice (i never felt quite right betraying my helpless countrymen) you can simply change the loadout on any plane to "empty" and the gunners in bombers will have no ammo. Same goes for fighters.

ClnlSandersLite
02-18-2005, 05:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolf52371:
Instead of using friendly bombers for target practice ........ simply change the loadout on any plane to "empty ....... Same goes for fighters. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is one of my favorite tricks. Every once in a while, I'll stop playing il2 for awhile in order to play something else. You know, kinda take a break. Anyways, In order to get used to the stick again, or sometimes even in order to get used to a new plane, I'll set up enemy fighters on empty loadout. They'll dodge and evade you, but won't shoot at you.

ImpStarDuece
02-25-2005, 01:03 AM
MAXIMS FOR SIMMERS

Always, always, always check your six. A blind spot exists only because you allow it too.

Trust your mirrors, dont rely on them though.

Never shoot over the shoulder of someone else. Kills are not worth alienating a potential wingman.

If your wingman is on the 6 of a bad guy gain alt and circle, keep his a$$ covered and dont get greedy

A good wingman is worth a squadron of no hopers

Your wingmen will die if you dont look after them. He will look after you in turn, if he doesn't, you are dead.

Think! Use your head. Work out the advantages your plane has and stick to them. If your in a turner, TURN, if you in a BOOMER, boom, if you in a biplane, PRAY.

ACM is not as interesting as you think, the simplest moves are often the most effective.

The slow loop will always get you killed.

When you have to do it, and you will,the slow loop should always have a non vertical compontent to it. Add rudder or a horizontal twist to it.

That said, the slow loop will always get you killed.

When in doubt, gain altitude.

Learn about energy management; zoom and boom DOES NOT mean go straight down then straight up again.

The shallow dive IS your friend.

Likewise the shallow climb.

Things that are not your friend; the ground, the ocean, carriers, trees, houses, bridges, P-47 and 190 pilots that turn with you.

The 'best' plane does not exist. There are pilots who can handle their machines and those that cant. Period.

Pilots who know their machine top to bottom have the 'best' plane.

Luck does not exist. All shots that hit you are deliberate, all evasive manouvers that cause you to miss are likewise.

All shots are aimed directly for your head.

Head on passes are for those that dont enjoy life.

Make your first burst count, you may not get a second; to this end, when you have the advantage of suprise never make a shot you are not certain wont hit.

Never think 'they cant hit me from here', they CAN.

Never think 'they cant get me up here', they CAN.

Never think 'they havent seen me' they HAVE.

500 kph in a dogfight is good life insurance.

Speed is money in the bank, dont waste it!

All tracers point both ways.

A stall means you have done something wrong. Very, very wrong.

Flying bombers is more fun than you think. Gettting shot down in them is much less fun than you think.

The there is a proportional relationship between the amount of ordanance you are carrying and the likelyhood of your being shot down.

All vulchers are compensating for something. They may be the ones responsible for a lot of the peni$ themed spam you recieve as well.

All tactics are valid if the servers allow.

Team killers are a form of life lower than single celled organisms. So are shoulder shooters, gun vulchers, printscreeners, warpers, emergency diconnectors and those idiots who do takeoffs across field .

If you take the perfect amount of fuel for a dogfight, it will run out.

Excess fuel is always excessive though.

You ammo always runs out when you have a perfect shot.

The guy on your six has unlimited ammo.

more to follow......

Places NOT to be: behind a bomber, in front of a fighter, at sea level, near trees, near houses, near an enemy airfield, under a bridge.

So, if you are flying under a bridge, chasing a bomber back to his base at the nearest city, with a fighter on your six, you may be in a spot of trouble.

A good landing is one you can walk away from. An average landing is one you can run screaming from, especially if you hair is on fire.

A bad landing invloves some or all of the following elements; some smoke, some fire, some damage, no gear, no alierons, no rudder, no elevators, NO HOPE, NO CHANCE, NO LANDING

You are not as good a shot as you think.

Aggressiveness is the halmark of a good sim pilot.

Agressiveness coupled with bad judgment is the halmark of a lawn dart.

CHECK YOUR SIX!

rnzoli
02-25-2005, 02:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ClnlSandersLite:

[...] I'll set up enemy fighters on empty loadout. They'll dodge and evade you, but won't shoot at you. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very good tip. In addition, we have to select a reasonable AI pilot competence level. They will demonstrate the basic devensive manouvers, like split-S, scissors, barrel-roll in front of our eyes.

BUT...AI pilots become boring after a while, as we learn their patterns, and also, we can never surprise them. At that point, we must team up with a friendly opponent on-line, practice various combat scenarios, record the tracks and analyse them together to see where to improve.

MajorProblem147
02-26-2005, 02:27 AM
A few things...I always play with complex engine management, but I'm not sure exactly when to change prop pitch and the radiator setting. That said, my own few tips:

The wires running across the tops of ships WILL cut your wings off.

At low speed, low altitude, blowing-the-dust-off-the-ground dogfights, I suggest to use the flaps to your advantage when possible, just don't forget where they are.

Pull up when the enemy's plane is less than.05 away, going down doesn't always end well (one time both his wings fell off, and he fell on top of me).

Don't waste bombs or rockets on trains, just strafe it once to make it stop, then attack other ground targets and come back to it for "bonus" points.

Do not underestimate defensive machine guns on dive bombers

Communicate with your wingman, 2 perspectives aare better than 1

ClnlSandersLite
02-27-2005, 12:17 AM
In some planes, certain instruments are out of sight due to stick position etc. In many instances you can see better if you press shift f1 to go to gunsight view. Also usefull when scanning for bandits as it moves your blind spots some.

Also, have a look at this thread for some gunnery tips.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=1961070582

Monson74
03-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Standard procedure for recovering from spins:

1) Notice which way you're spinning - left or right.

2) Cut the throttle & raise flaps if down.

3) Move the stick towards the direction you're spinning - ONLY ailerons should be activated & NOT the elevators.

4) Move rudder towards the opposite direction of the spin.

5) Pray.

6) As soon as your nose is straight down & the shaking stops you'll notice that your plane is still rolling around its own axis. It is now YOU who is rolling the crate. Congrats - you've regained control & you may throttle up again & pull up very gently. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Btw - damaged planes are often way harder to recover & sometimes it's better to hit the silk while you have the altitude for it.

96th_Nightshifter
03-02-2005, 07:46 PM
To add to the stall recovery business.

If you are spinning to the right cut your throttle to zero(increasing it will only make you spin faster).
If you are spinning to the left, increase throttle to full power as this will have the opposite effect and should slow down your spin.

That's it, I find that the above has helped me on many occasions - coupled with pointing the nose down, using flaps etc.

rnzoli
04-09-2005, 02:27 AM
Question: how to improve situational awareness?

Two minutes after engaging an enemy fighter, I have no idea where I am, no idea where he is, no idea what my plane's attitude is. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Yes, I can check, but by the time I do that, I already collected enough shots to bail out or emergency land. I feel like a fat, slow, stupid target on-line (which I really am http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif )

Bearcat99
04-15-2005, 04:23 AM
Get a decent viewing solution.. whether it is TIR, mouselook or one of the other alternatives that can be found listed in the Essentials thread.

Also to practice sticking to a target.... load up a QM with AI with no ammo.... get on their six and stay there.... if he is an Ace or veteran he will take you on a ride cause of course.. he doesnt know you wont shoot him down...... by **** this with different AC you can also develope over time a pretty good picture in your mind of the capabilities of other AC..... try it against your favorite mount.. and against all the opposition AC you may face.. friendly or otherwise. This will also help with developing good formation flying techniques.

JamesBlonde888
05-08-2005, 04:40 AM
Personally I synchronise my guns at 100 meters. If you are further away than that then chances are you are wasting ammo. The best way to take out the enemy is to stick the muzzles or your guns in his cockpit and blow the guy's head off. I always play with limited ammo on since unlimited is just too tempting. I love the sound of thoe 20mm cannons pumping away but I like seeing pieces of enemy aircraft flashing underneath me more.

Another great tip for the newbies is to find someone friendly in the skies and stick with them. Never fight alone unless you cant help it.

ClnlSandersLite
05-23-2005, 09:53 PM
To add to the stall recovery business.

If you are spinning to the right cut your throttle to zero(increasing it will only make you spin faster).
If you are spinning to the left, increase throttle to full power as this will have the opposite effect and should slow down your spin.

This is only mostly correct. It depends on which way your engine torque pulls you. In 99% of cases, the advice above holds true. However, on a couple of planes, it may need to be reversed or just ignored. If the engine(s) pulls left, reverse the instructions above. If it's a case of counter rotating props or something, it's generally best to just idle your engines.

red_guy
06-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Thanks guys i really enjoied reading this topic, i found a few things that helps me, i registered on this forum after 2 months of learning by my self all the tehniques of dogfigs, i recomend one should play some campaings now i started recently to play with the jerrys in an 1941 bf-109F-3 mescherschmitt, it's a good way to keep in mind all of the things, from take off to fighting to getting back in formation to home and landing.

blazer-glory
06-17-2005, 02:36 AM
Landings. Dont talk to me about landings. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

CONSCIOUS_PILOT
06-22-2005, 01:31 AM
Take off's..........sheesh http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

blazer-glory
07-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Actually I wished they had included a 'USELESS' skill level for AI pilots as Ive never even got a 'NOVICE' one in my sights let alone scratch its paint work with a bullet! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Eagle4_team
07-09-2005, 09:38 AM
I set my convergence to range between 120 and 180m Guns 120 , cannons 180.
Open fire when u are closer then 300m(suggets 160m)
When i fly Hurri IIB against 109 e4 sometimes i cut hes wing off aor make him on fire is i hot from 70m. when u have machine guns get close so u could see enemy pilots whites.
When u use cannos u must look out becouse plane can blow up. If u use bigger then 15 mm guns then dont get close then 50m u will die.
Dont shot with nonstop fire u will lost ammo and u will miss. Just make liitle burst then plane will fly ok no shaking , u will not loose so many bullets.
Use HyperLobby and come in to ay server u like.

DFA_Bane
08-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Ok so this looks like a place for noobs... which I am to this game... can't figure out how to bomb... which is what I really want to do as I am a part of a bomber squadron in other games out there.... HELP PLEASE

CVK_Monkey
08-29-2005, 04:22 AM
I use convergency 400-450. It really depends on your style of fighting. When you are boom&zoomin' at high speed(i.e. 650-800km/h http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) you don't have enought time to get so close(150 meters), shoot quickly to destroy him and than go up and turn gently to not let him to fit on your six.

When you are turning low and slow, then it is better to have shorter convergence.

jimDG
09-01-2005, 07:39 AM
I have my convergeance at 500m, this way you could actually shoot all the way up to 1000m..if you could aim. Generally (so far) i find it most usefull to get a hit (or a near hit) from extreme ranges - and then close in - a slightly damaged fighter is considerably less maneuverable at low speed (if it has a 20mm round hit in the wing), and the bonus is that most people would turn tightly when they see tracer flying above their heads, or hear chunk-chunk on the fuselage..thus going into the exact turning fight they can no longer play (if damaged)

I find this gunsight/shooting sim invaluable and make good use of it:

http://ourworld.cs.com/Abra772/SC_2_Eng.zip

Robocline
09-03-2005, 12:05 PM
Bane what kind of bombing do you want to do dive bombing or level bombing those are two very different styles of bombing.

I don't fly bombers in this game as of yet but i do now a little about dive bombing.

the easiest way to do that is #1 get a plane that is actually a dive bomber Stuka etc.

so when you're going on a bomb run your first instinct would be to fly high and push forward on the stick. while that may work i found it easier to fly high and go inverted and once you're over the target pull back on the stick and head straight for the deck and at the last minute pull out of your dive and release your bombs at the same time

P.S. don't forget the dive brakes unless you're flying a japanese plane and you've decided to be a kamikazi at the last minute

DFA_Bane
09-05-2005, 12:35 PM
I love level bombing...
I know bombers and dive bombers and their diffrences... what I don't understand is how to get into the bomb view of the aircraft in this game.... I am also wondering if anyone out here has a profile for the X-52....
Thanks

G-man-UK
09-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Bane,

If you're in a dive bomber then the pilots position is the bombing position. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

However I think you're talking about a proper bomber like the B25, well I think the default key is C which toggles you through all the gunner positions. When you press it first time from the pilots position that's the bombers position. It's not that brilliant in that you can't look into those instruments(at least I don't think you can), but you can still fly the plane from there to get you onto target and if you get enough practice you can figure out when to drop them. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

There are also various other key settings that can be mapped for a bombing run. Personally though I don't bother with them as I don't have time when I'm also having to defend myself from nasty little fighters http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

There's nothing more satisfying than getting the bomber flying level then nipping to the tail gunners pos and shooting down one of the human flyers http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Good luck Bane

Robocline
09-06-2005, 08:56 AM
i believe you can move to the bombers position and then use the DEL. key to get into the gunsight and that should put you into the bomb sight, you know what to do from there

jimDG
09-07-2005, 10:39 AM
here's a Zen tiphttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif dont aim at enemy airplanes before you've reached a shooting position. Instead - always aim at the point where the enemy plane will be when you will be in a shooting position. This gives you considerably longer time to aim and steady the airplane..

rnzoli
09-08-2005, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by G-man-UK:
There are also various other key settings that can be mapped for a bombing run. Personally though I don't bother with them as I don't have time when I'm also having to defend myself from nasty little fighters http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

There's nothing more satisfying than getting the bomber flying level then nipping to the tail gunners pos and shooting down one of the human flyers http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Unless one of those nasty little fighters hits the gunner's position and kills you first.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

rnzoli
09-08-2005, 02:48 AM
Here is tip for people struggling with on-line games. We tried this recently and it gives some value for sure.

Instead of arguing with your friend about why we are shot down all the time by the dogfight experts, create a small coop misssion
- with 2 identical planes
- same amount of fuel
- same weapon loadout
- starting at the same altiude
- heading towards each other from about 2 km distance
- with no AAA nearby.

When ready, one of you should host this coop mission - with a password - either in HyperLobby or UBI.com, so the other person can join it.

When connected together in the coop,
- switch off vulnerability
- switch off limited ammo
- leave the other difficulty settings as you prefer normally
- load the practice mission.

When the mission starts, both of you should
- start track recording
- start wingtip smoke
- start dogfighting.

This 'mock' dogfight (no one can win) gives a good way to compare different ways to fly the plane to its limits, and practice a lot of different tricks in short time. All you have to do is to avoid hitting the ground or water.

After some runs, you can exchange the tracks and see from the opponent's perception, what was particularly bad idea from you, and what was a good idea from you , but needs some more practice before you can use it against a real opponent.

PS. You may also watch the tracers to check, in which positions was your deflection correct (hit visible on the target, but without damage caused), and in which way you tend to miss the target (too little lead, or too much). This is especially important for finding a good convergence settings for your personal fighting style.

zan_bzk
09-11-2005, 01:30 PM
This forum is great http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I only have one thing to say:If you are not good at dropping bombs from level-flight then try dive bombing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

dinger2005
09-14-2005, 04:11 PM
On the subject of stalls and spins, they are caused by a loss od lift on one of the wings and you need to turn your rudder full against the spin to have any hope of getting out of it.

Stalls are no problem IMO as long as you are high enough up. If you want to avoid them then keep your airspeed above 180 (depending on flap settings).

Sorry if this sounds pedantic but a stall is not related to airspeed but to angle of attack of the wing. That is the angle the wing is presenting to the relative airflow. Please bear with me a minute. In straight and level flight at 50% throttle the angle of attack is quite small so the wing provides lift. Pull back on the stick and climb at about 50 degrees nose up and the speed will drop off and eventually the wing will stop providing lift (ie stall). This is the normal scenario when people talk of stalling. Now picture the wing travelling straight and wings level as before but at high speed and in a dive. As before the angle of attack is small and the wing provides lift, but pull the nose up too hard and the angle of attack increases until the wing cannot provide lift any more. Imagine the air not being able to 'stick' to the upper wing surface because the wing is being 'squashed' into the relative airflow. High enough angle of attack regardless of speed equals stall. A spin is a stall on one wing but not the other. Result is the aircraft turns hard towards the stalled wing. Some aircraft especially modern jets cannot be recovered.....
Sorry this sounds like a lecture.
Dinger

russ.nl
09-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Learn to follow.
Start a quick mission with you and your AI wingman. Diffeculty: Ace.
Know, thry to get behind your wingman. It's a good exersice for beginners.

Zjoek
09-22-2005, 03:34 AM
One tip I found incredibly useful for gunnery:

Make sure your aircraft is TRIMMED before lining up for a shot. It's much easier to manouver your plane this way. This is doubly so if you set up your joystick sensitivity in a curve (if you have to apply back-stick to compensate for trimming, you are suddenly in a very sensitive area, and your nose shoots over your target).

Bind keys for trimming.

DoubleTap2005A
09-27-2005, 07:10 AM
I have some newbie tips (as a newbie), but first:

"One important detail: For skip bombing use bomb delay set to 0, otherwise ship would not sustain damage."

This is not accurate, perhaps because of a patch added later than the post? Anyway, you can quite definitely sink a ship using skip bombing and a delay, because I have done it with 250kg suckers. Maybe not cruisers or BB's, but other ships will go down. You apparently need to hit them amidships, and along the waterline to get a 1 shot/1 kill hit, but you can do it.

I highly recommend Dart's website for instructional videos on skip bombing and other techniques.

ENERGY
I avoided learning it for years because I am lazy, and impatient, but I find you need to learn the whole Energy concept with flying. I am still only learning the basics of it, but I am finally getting the point (flying online, and getting shot down a lot in dogfights tends to bring it home). I would read; €œOnly spend your energy if its worth it, and if at all possible, get it back as soon as possible.€ What does this mean? Well, I am practicing to find that out, following some other advice I have come across.

I took the suggestion of a number of people and started concentrating on a particular plane. I picked the P-40 series because a) I always liked them, B) its not a top of the line fighter, C) it ain't all that bad, either. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The P-40 is not the most maneuverable fighter, but **** it is fast for its time-frame, especially when using energy attacks. After noticing this and reading up on zoom and boom tactics, I decided to work on that strength of the plane and help learn the overall concept.

What I have been doing is the following:

Set up a Quick mission with 4 enemy bombers with no weapons. I take a P-40E and practice diving down on attack, then zooming back up. I purposely avoid ending up in a chasing tail attack situation, and do my best not to end up lower than the bombers before I pull up.

The reason for the first is vets talk about the iron tail syndrome and its freaking true. It€s amazing how much damage one can cause if you hit a target almost anywhere else but directly behind. Hit them right from the side, above, below, in front and you can get them to burst into flames, pop off an engine or auger in in one burst of fire. Conversely, its sickening how much punishment a plane can take from behind before it goes down. Having learned I much more enjoy shooting someone down rather than picking pieces off them, this was an important concept to grasp.

The reason I don't want to end up below the bombers is discipline. At the speeds I dive at, I can certainly pull up and regain altitude on the enemy easily, but I've wasted some energy when I did not need to do so. Eventually, I might want to learn to dive, strafe from above, dip below, pull up, and attack from underneath on the climb, but first things first.

The idea I am trying to teach myself is the fluidity of the attack. Shadow, close, dive, strafe, pull up, repeat. I still suck at it, but I understand the importance of it. I have relied too much on dogfighting on a comparatively level plane and that is not always the way to fight depending on the situation.

Anwyay, what you should try to do is see if you can bring down the 4 bombers before any of them land. When you can, try again, but this time arm them and give them rookie crews.

Now, your task not only involves getting the best attack angle on the target, but also avoiding return fire. You'll find it much harder for the gunners to hit you while using energy attacks than when you are chasing them from behind, no matter how you jig or move. For that reason, it also will discourage you from getting in a tail chase situation even thought is so tempting at times.

Alright, enough advice from the unskilled for now€¦

Odranoel1
11-02-2005, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Talon_Sr:

Talon
I have accidentally found a way to slightly improve chances.

You of course need to have the lowest quantity of fuel needed, full throttle and WEP, landing flaps and let the engine rev up completeley before letting loose. If possible lock your tail wheel. Carefully work on a straight take off course. Push the stick forward early on to help lift the rear - increases acceleration.

Now here my trick:
When about to leave the carrier push the nose forward briefly and pull gently backwards right away. This will make the aircraft "bounce" somewhat and increase its vertical speed. It will also change the angle of attack, giving you a "climbing" vector that will better oppose gravity after you exit the carrier.

Gear up asap, and pray...

S!

Odranoel1

Air_Bomber
11-14-2005, 10:51 AM
I would also say (and perhaps this has been mentioned before and I just forgot about it) that a short burst is preferable to a long one, which I think is probably common knowledge. I'm still a newb at this game, but I've played enough first-person shooters (as well as real-life army experience as a machine gunner) to know the value of that.

I would recommend using the old army technique of squeezing the trigger for "fire-a-burst-of-six," and letting go. It does just as much for fire control as it does for ammo conservation.

But then, half of you may just be saying to yourselves, "Well, duh."

Also, what does "S!" mean?

Worf101
11-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Also, what does "S!" mean?

It means "Salute"..

SmirnovVA
11-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Hey guys!
Im like... a total noob... so I have these two big problems that I cant seem to get around- on the rare occasion that i'm on someones six I never stay there. i overshoot, or he does some maneuver that shakes me, or somehow he makes a 75%turn really fast and zips right past me. on the common occasion that someone is behind me, I NEVER shake anyone off! they stay there like glue and keep getting closer until... yeah...so could anyone give me some words of wisdom
thanks

Platypus_1.JaVA
11-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by SmirnovVA:
Hey guys!
Im like... a total noob... so I have these two big problems that I cant seem to get around- on the rare occasion that i'm on someones six I never stay there. i overshoot, or he does some maneuver that shakes me, or somehow he makes a 75%turn really fast and zips right past me. on the common occasion that someone is behind me, I NEVER shake anyone off! they stay there like glue and keep getting closer until... yeah...so could anyone give me some words of wisdom
thanks

FIrst of all, do you have these complains with online or offline play. If you are doint offline, you are dealing with AI. You can always call for help when an enemy AI is after you. press TAB and then 7. You ca try really hard turns or, dive to the deck and speed away from him. If you are playing online, shaking someone can be really tricky. Try High G turning this makes your screen partially black and so is the enemies screen. when the screen is blacked out, tracking a bandit in front of you can be really tricky. Or use the scenery to 'hide' alot of aircraft are hard to see against the ground. Fly into a cloud or fly into the sun so that the enemy cannot see you.

If you fly on servers where padlock and/or outside view is enabled, things can get more difficult.

DoubleTap2005A
11-24-2005, 06:47 AM
I did not read through the whole thread, so I hope I am not repeating someone.

Here's a tip. Record your missions, dogfights, etc, and WATCH THEM. Watch your tracks, watch your tracks!

I have been flying for a little while, and I thought I had a decent ability with deflection shooting. I didn't. I ran a mission just last night, chasing down a AI fighter in a P-40. I was firing at him at a decent range .35-.20 for quite a while, on the deck, and finally he went into the drink.

I went to view the track and I carefully watched my shots from the target's perspective. As far as I could see, and I really watched it, I did not hit the guy once. Not once. All my shots went wide, many by any appreciable distance, usually behind. Looking back in the cockpit position, I WAS leading the target, but in effect it was not nearly enough to compensate and I was putting rounds consistently behind him.

He apparently only crashed because he tried to outmaneuver me too much and ran out of room. Better than him shooting me down or getting away, but still...

Chagrined to say the least, I reloaded the mission and tried again. This time, I lead him a bit, and then consciously doubled that lead as he tried to turn in on me rapidly. This time, I was quickly rewarded with a bloom of black smoke from him. Hot ****! Now I need to practice that so I do it without thinking about it.

The point is that by reviewing your tracks, you can check your performance and find out what you are doing wrong. Use it. Besides being fun to watch, the trak utility can teach you alot.

UberPickle
01-03-2006, 02:05 AM
I have some tips for people making the transition from modern jet flight sims (Falcon, Lo:Mac, Any modern Janes flight sim):

* Do not, I repeat, DO NOT think that the planes in this game are designed for the hyper-cool dives we are used to! You will burst into little shreds of analog avionics spraying all over everywhere!

*The action around you is very simular to the modern sims, but allows very little room for mistakes. No chaffs are here if you get a guy on your six. No locking on. No Missing allowed. Fighting at mach speeds of 1.5 are far different from fighting at 270 K/mh so be prepared for a transition (I had to and still am adjusting to the change)

* Whenever you bomb something, never assume that it's going to be as much of a cake walk as it was when we were bombing the hell out of P'yongyang in falcon. Your going to have to get used to getting real low, right into the danger zone. Your going to have to take into account your bomb delay settings if you area dropping ordance on a convoy. Also, when you get low, keep in my that the tree that you saw 40 kilometers away is right in your face. You'll have to learn what I call "safe snapping". A safe snap is a quick dip of the wings to avoid objects (Busted planes, trees, buildings).

*Never, ever think that the jet planes in il2 are strudy, for a split second.

That's about all I can think up of at 3:05 AM (lol)

Hurricane_320
01-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks for all the crucial info, perhaps I can start flying other planes than multi-pilot bombers now. . .

kittycuttiecat
01-21-2006, 03:40 PM
hey um i just sighned up for this catz thing lol what is this site all about?

Alien-USN-
02-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Or you can see me for 1 on 1 training of any sort. Please visit the link for availability.

http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=423&mforum=490thoutlawz

Philipscdrw
02-10-2006, 06:30 AM
To get ground attack skills, fly the I-153 (either one, the M62 has 4 machine-guns, the P has two 20mm cannon). They're slow enough and stable enough and manoueverable enough to make shooting vehicles on the ground really easy, and if you keep your eye out you can evade practically any attack from the enemy.

Treetop64
02-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by avroman:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rab03:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VF-29_Sandman:
... some dont have rudder/wing trim. 109's bein 1 of em

Bf-109? Then what are those little parts painted red? I'm curious, because I've seen those, but when I recall original manual for Bf-109E, I don't remember that they mentioned rudder and aileron trimmers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were trim tabs, but I think they were adjusted manually by the ground crew before flight. The pilot had no control over them while in flight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just read this and thought it was hilarious!

Is that "putting the cart in front of the horse", or what?!

Dean3238
02-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Has anyone created a list of V speeds for all these aircraft? (I hate finding out I'm over gear extension speed by means of watching them rip off...) This would help a lot in simple practice flying, take offs, landing and so on).

Also, do the markings on the cockpit off AS mean anything or are they for show... and since I asked, but haven't looked, are the AS dials in the cockpits marked in any way?

Thanks!

Dean3238
02-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Treetop64,

Don't laugh... I don't know about Bf109's, but my Bellanca has exactly that for both aileron and rudder tabs. If you get the 'leans', you bend them after flight a little to compensate.

Thankfully, the elevator is still pilot adjustable. :-)

rnzoli
02-14-2006, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Dean3238:
Has anyone created a list of V speeds for all these aircraft? (I hate finding out I'm over gear extension speed by means of watching them rip off...) This would help a lot in simple practice flying, take offs, landing and so on).
Thanks!
Get some pointers from www.airwarfare.com (http://www.airwarfare.com). There is an aircraft reference guide with instrument layouts AND tips on flying, typically stall speeds and Vne.

As for landing gear extension, it's a general rule not to extend above 300 km/h. Most preferably extend around 250 km/h, when some flaps are already out. I usually extend the gear the last thing on the final, in order to minimize turbulence, vibration etc. Also makes it easier to go around, if needed.

Dean3238
02-14-2006, 06:23 AM
Will look... thanks!

AirBomber
02-17-2006, 02:48 PM
I've got a question on difficulty.

When you guys practice flying, do you start out on easy level and then gradually just increase it until you're playing at really difficult levels? I would assume that this would be the best way so that you don't get overwhelmed right away, but I could be wrong. This is what I've been doing, and I think my flying has improved, but that's just me.

rnzoli
02-18-2006, 03:21 PM
This is a matter of debate constantly. Some people may even recommend to start practicing with full difficulty and 4 ace AI opponent. Some others propose to do it gradually as you say.

I do a different approach. Normally I use full difficulty settings, but whenever I want to practice something, I switch off some of the settings, to make practice more fun. Typical are ammo, but sometimes I turn off vulnerability as well.

So the bottom line: practice with the settings that are fun, but challenging a bit, too. Take your learning curve with a pace you like, not with a pace others dictate.

aircargoo
02-25-2006, 07:19 AM
Baddabing.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Fire4Effect
03-06-2006, 02:17 AM
Well I can't really say too much that many already have (especially Impstarduece's magnificent post). However here's a couple of tips that helped me out a lot:

With the millions of planes to choose from it can be a little hard to find a starting point. Like many of us, or the American players that is, we immediatly jump into the cockpit of a p-47 or p-51. Unless you're a complete natural stay away from most of the american planes at first because they are very hard to dog fight with. The greatest tip anyone told me was to start with a Yak-3. It's got great visability, handles very well and can keep up with the big dogs. Although it's a got a limited ammo load it packs a punch (but it can't take one so watchout!!). But whatever your cup of tea happens to be, stick with it, and don't do the jump around game too much because you won't learn anything about any plane.

Also if you really want to get good at dog figthing get online asap. Offline is a good starting point, but the AI get's predictable. Trust me, when you get online that's when dog fighting begins. I mean how often will you encounter the AI flying 2ft above you and another flying 2ft below all chasing one guy 10 ft in front of you? I know it sounds scary and all, but it's incredibly rewarding when you actually start to get the hang of it.

If your going to stick with offline for awhile I would IMEDIATLY start going up against spits and especially any version of the bf109's. When you take your fight online that's bascially what your going to be up against 98% of the time. Especially those lovely 109's that carry some serious cannon firepower. A couple of hits from one of those things and your 99% non-aerodynamic anymore. You'll learn to refer to them as "those guys".

Upon entering online the most important tip that I can share (unless your one of them), is to keep an eye out on those guys flying waaaay up high. Trust me on this lol, I've learned that they are the keepers of the sky. They aren't up there just for the view, they are about to run a guantlet on you and you wouldn't even know what happened to you until after it happened. They are the "boom and zoom" guys and in my opinion the most dangerous....and guess what, they can most often be coupled with the above statement making them "THOSE boom and zoom guys." I can't really explain how to properly safe guard yourself from them, you'll just have to experience it yourself. But always keep tabs on them, especially when YOUR on someone's tail because that's the moment that they are waiting for.

Learning how to fly in formation is very important like the many posts before mine have mentioned. I was never very good at it until I started flying some of the twin-engine bombers and flew in formation with one of those things, trust me if you master that you can pretty much stay on someone's tail for a good chunck of time.

Another biggie is learn to us your throttle!! For some strange reason I would fly with that thing pratically maxed out when dog fighting because I felt that if I laid back on it at all, I would totally lose the guy in front of me. Get comfortable knowing that any action you do when it comes to managing your speed won't have serious adverse effects. I can't tell you how much it improves your ability to stay behind someone rather than in front of them. In short learn to loosen up when flying and to become flexible with the controls.

Learn when to fight and when to hold back. The first thing you should start to do is to just take in what's happening around you. Develop a good situational awareness, common sense, right? Easier said than done. Everyone is eager to jump into that big furball, but it pays off a lot of the time just to hangout on the outskirts and see whose going after who. Usually the first guy to charge in rarely lives to tell about it. Make certain that when you go in for a kill, that it is going to be just that.

Over time you'll develop some intuition and you'll know when the guy in front of you is about to do this or that. That's the most important plato to reach in my opinion and I'm still trying to master it. To predict the unpredictable I guess.

spiffyscimitar
03-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Hello

I'm a relative noob... I'd like some simple tips.

First.. um.. how do I check my six? It seems I can look up, down, left right, etc etc using my hat switch .. except straight back, where I keep getting blindsided.

Also, is there an easy way for your view to scroll around (I guess 'padlock' is the word) your aggressor for just a brief second to know where he's coming from and then jump back to your front view? I don't like padlock mode because I get disoriented to where my nose is, but rarely do I know where the attacker is coming from when I suppose in real life I'd just turn my head intuitively.

I just got pacific fighters and I love it.. but I'm finding my machine gun rounds are barely visible to me.. do I just have too cheap a graphics card (geforce4 Ti) to get visible rounds (right now they're light reddish) or is there a 'turn on tracer' command somewhere to amek them glowy and BRIGHT? It's hard to tell how close I'm getting to leading my target as of right now.

And last but not least, people keep saying, if you have a turning plane, turn, climber plane climb etc etc but I'm not familiar enough with planes and all their variants. is there a quick and dirty ressource which will list the plane with their picture and tell me, this one has a great turning radius, speed, climbing ability, is hard to control, etc etc?

Thanks a ton!

rnzoli
03-23-2006, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by spiffyscimitar:
First.. um.. how do I check my six? It seems I can look up, down, left right, etc etc using my hat switch .. except straight back, where I keep getting blindsided.
A simple level or high-6 position check can be done by stepping in one rudder, and keeping the aircraft wings level with opposite aileron input. This will make the aircraft travel slightly sideways, moving the blindspot away. If needed, check with opposite rudder and aileron, too.

Low 6 can only be checked by a full roll, while looking backwards. Might push the stick forward a bit while flying inverted momentarily, in order not to loose much altitude.

Another simple tool is mirrors. Use then when in defensive position, good for timing scissors (direction reversals).

Best protection on 6 is of course a wingman.

Also, is there an easy way for your view to scroll around (I guess 'padlock' is the word) your aggressor for just a brief second to know where he's coming from and then jump back to your front view? I don't like padlock mode because I get disoriented to where my nose is, but rarely do I know where the attacker is coming from when I suppose in real life I'd just turn my head intuitively.
You can map view directions your numeric keypad, and you may also experiment with a utility called newview. Your mouse can be used to move your view around, too. If you're ready to invest, try TrackIR, that will give your intuitive head motion re-generated in the game.

I just got pacific fighters and I love it.. but I'm finding my machine gun rounds are barely visible to me.. do I just have too cheap a graphics card (geforce4 Ti) to get visible rounds (right now they're light reddish) or is there a 'turn on tracer' command somewhere to amek them glowy and BRIGHT? It's hard to tell how close I'm getting to leading my target as of right now.
I know of no such command, and the tracers aren't so bright. For practicing lead estimations, record the tracks and replay them to see the tracers from the targets' perspective (Ctrl+F2), then you will know in which direction you erred. In real combat situation, shoot only from a distance where you cannot miss (50-200 m). Not closer either http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

And last but not least, people keep saying, if you have a turning plane, turn, climber plane climb etc etc but I'm not familiar enough with planes and all their variants. is there a quick and dirty ressource which will list the plane with their picture and tell me, this one has a great turning radius, speed, climbing ability, is hard to control, etc etc?

Thanks a ton!
There is a fresh comparison of the planes in this recent thread: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5231099324/p/1

Also visit www.airwarfare.com (http://www.airwarfare.com) and look at the resources there.

Important to remember that your capabilities are relative to your opponent. P39 is a good turner vs. the heavier Bf-109s, but don't try to turn with Zeros.

Ominae-
03-23-2006, 11:37 PM
I wonder, is there a server out there dedicated to practice sessions, training, tips and so forth?

rnzoli
03-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Yes, but usually for squadrons, protected by password, or launched in coop mode. Joining a squadron is the best way to get regular and organized training online. Open DF servers are for combat, and although you can get lots of good advice there sometimes, it really depends on your luck, by finding helpful people on the same server at the same time.

WTE_Galway
04-04-2006, 09:57 PM
a common landing trick that seems to have been missed here

If you are coming onto finals too high and will end up hitting the threshold too fast for a safe landing there is a way to loose height without gaining speed

1 ) first make the aircraft as "dirty" as possible, full flaps gear down radiator cowl open canopy open and cut the throttle

2) now start to "slip" .. apply full rudder in either direction and keep it there, use aileron to keep the plane on the correct approach path, you will end up with "crossed" controls the stick going the wrong way compared to the rudder

basically you descend sideways washing off altitude in ahurry without gaining speed ... of course if you are still to fast as you appraoch the thresh-hold just go around

fighter_966
04-06-2006, 03:22 PM
If you have trouble to make a correct lead shot
when turning. Wait until enemy plane disappears under your aeroplanes nose.. it works!.I read this
advice from book called Desert rats ..Marseille used it..

KannonAce
04-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Where can I go to get screenshots/tutorials/descriptions of the vulnerabilities of various a/c such as the He-111, Pe-8, etc.? I'm trying to hone my gunnery skills, and right now I have to use trial and error in the "quick mission". I've found out that the Ju-88 burns quick when you hit in in the underside of the aft fuselage near the tail. I've also had success damaging the engine of the He-111 so badly to stop rotation of the propeller. I haven't really figured out its vulnerability, but I think it is the wing between the engine and fuselage. I have been flying the P-51 with its .50 cal MGs for more of a challenge (I fare pretty easily when I use an a/c with cannons...). And what about firing arcs for the bombers?

Can anyone help? Thanks!

rnzoli
04-16-2006, 06:34 AM
The bad news is that the damage model details aren't really documented officially. The good news: there's a good deal of similarity to real-life vulnerabilities, and these are quite commonly known from experience:
- cockpit (pilot)
- wing roots (yes, the wing connecting to fuselage)
- engines (yes, from above or under).

Things that usually don't cause any harm:
- fuselage
- tail
- wing trailing edge.

However, the vulnerability may even depend on the loadout. Rumours say that hitting the bomb-bay in the belly will send the poor bomber to the shadow world immediately. You as well, if you are too close.