PDA

View Full Version : SOLOMON ISLANDS MAP!!!?!! WE WANT IT! SIGN HERE!

stansdds
02-16-2006, 03:56 AM
Well, if we are putting in requests, I'd sure like to have a Solomon Islands map or split the area into two maps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

stansdds
02-16-2006, 03:56 AM
Well, if we are putting in requests, I'd sure like to have a Solomon Islands map or split the area into two maps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

guderian_ente
02-16-2006, 05:17 AM
This is one request I can sign on to. More maps for PF please!

...and if one of them happens to include a H*******r I promise not to tell anyone. :)

FltLt_HardBall
02-16-2006, 06:27 AM
Yep, definitely need a Solomons map

R_Target
02-16-2006, 07:58 AM
Sounds good to me.

Willey
02-16-2006, 02:07 PM
http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/bump-smile.gif http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/bump-smile.gif http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/bump-smile.gif

Sintubin
02-16-2006, 04:15 PM
Got my vote http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Feathered_IV
02-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Lae/Nadzab for me. Sorry guys.

Professor_06
02-16-2006, 05:19 PM
It will happen on the nest relese of PFII..in 2008!!!

Stigler_9_JG52
02-16-2006, 05:21 PM
You can get ALL that...plus ALL of Bougainville, plus New Guinea all the way to Wewak...plus New Britain (Rabaul isn't even on the map Viking posted...)

right now, today, at Target:Rabaul (http://www.targetrabaul.com/home.html).

And, as additional bonuses... the single map (notice I didn't say maps) is at 1:1 scale... and all the aircraft will be modelled better.

And, very shortly, you'll get the early part of the war as well, in the Phillipines and Dutch East Indies.

Enthor1
02-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Yes Stigler, but we want the maps in a sim we actually like to play.

DaimonSyrius
02-16-2006, 06:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Enthor1:
Yes Stigler, but we want the maps in a sim we actually like to play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely, spot on.

Besides, IMO, the permanent sprinkling of these forums with Targetware commercials is getting tiring. As if there were not enough commercials already around, bombing us from all sorts of media. Whoever is interested in Targetware can go check their web sites without the need of being pushed here all the time.

That said, I think that adding a polite 'Please' to those 'Want-Want-Want' topics that are popping up these days wouldn't hurt, maybe even would help.

Cheers
S.

Stigler_9_JG52
02-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Don't recall ever seeing your handle there EVER, Enthor, so how do you know "if you like to play it" or not?

You don't.

You'd rather stay here, fawn over the pretty pictures, and pretend there aren't any glaring errors and oversights. Which there are in spades.

I'm just offering an alternative.

DaimonSyrius
02-16-2006, 11:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stigler_9_JG52:
Don't recall ever seeing your handle there EVER </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Stigler,

I am of the same opinion as Enthor1, and I haven't downloaded, installed nor tried Tw beta engine and mods. However, I have been on their website, and have thoroughly browsed it, the several websites for the mods, actually. The documentation, the screenshots, the accounts system description... the user interface, the controls assignations, the view system, etc. So I am informed, with as much information as Targetware is willing to provide me without the need to actually sign up for an account. And the information they have provided to me has failed to inspire me the wish to go fly there.

The topic here is not Targetware, so let's not turn the topic into Targetware. I'll only mention three things, not to start a debate about Tw, just to answer you here:

-The prospect of Pay-To-Fly
-The lack of mention of Track-IR
-The poor graphics

Again, the topic here is not Targetware. Because it's not the topic here, I see no need to come across, on every other thread, with constant less-than-subtle appearances of links to their websites and comments about how everything is so flawed in IL2 and so great in Tw. I have no need to be offered an alternative all the time, non-stop round the clock, no matter what the thread topic may be.

All in my opinion, of course. Of course too, you can post as you see fit, but as I said before, it gets tiring. IMO.

Cheers,
S.

Stigler_9_JG52
02-17-2006, 10:15 AM
All points taken on board.

Now, a response...

As for P2P, that's irrelevant right now. It's totally free to play in beta, and there haven't really even been the distant rumblings of it going P2P in the immediate future. I can understand you not wanting to pay for the sims, but not wanting a free trial period, and extended free trial period at that?

Track IR: I honestly don't know what the deal is with this, as I don't use that product (and frankly, don't need the crutch; my hat switch is just fine for visuals). But I know the subject has been broached over there...just don't know what the outcome was.

Poor graphics: for one, you make too much of this. Although in some areas they're admittedly not up to snuff, in many others, they look pretty good. Clouds are nice, aircraft graphics on most aircraft externals are also very nice, and the pits for the new Hurri and Spitfire are really something else!!! Beyond that, if I had a choice of "poor graphics" or "poor flight, damage modeling, poor game design".... I'd opt for "poor graphics" any day: when you have realistic flight models that tend to reflect history rather than be at odds with it, your mind more than makes up for a few graphic glitches. But, pretty as IL-2 is, the results you get from the average sortie blow all chance of "suspension of disbelief", what with the one-shot tail gunners, planes rotating on their CoG with little to no energy bleed, and I can go on and on and on with examples of this....

Finally, I'll say this to you... if you haven't tried Targetware, but you're satisfied reading a few web pages...well, I'd say you've done even less than "tirekicker" people who log in for 5 minutes, don't even learn how to operate aircraft systems, sense that it's "not like IL-2" and attempt to dismiss it for that reason alone.

jamesdietz
02-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Sure but is there anyway it can look more stinking real...more yelolows And olive greens ....The jungled islands just don't seem to look too convincing to me....

LEBillfish
02-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Solomons....sounds good....Lae to Wewak NewGuinea better....

As to the Targetware issue, I have to agree with the others here......as I will NOT be purchasing it or even downloading it if free.

Frankly, I have no idea why the "Ubi Mods" tolerate the constant targetware "advertisements". Quite simply it is equivalent to a MS bot posting every 3 hours on every Ubi forum page about CFS3.......It is nothing short of using THEIR webspace and bandwidth to promote a competitors product.

Furthermore, it is nothing short of "piracy" or trying to lure people away from the hosts offering to another unrelated.

In all cases it is considered unacceptable on all websites, chats, forums, etc..

Point blank it is the constant hounding ALONE that turned me off to Targetware.....and insures my never purchasing a product from them.

You're probably not a bad guy Stigler but frankly.......what you do here is wrong and if you can't stop the mods need to eject you from the Ubi owned webspace.

ElAurens
02-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Agree 100%

Enthor1
02-17-2006, 12:18 PM
So Stigler, because YOU have never seen my "handle" there EVER,(I would prefer "callsign", not being a trucker) you deduce that I have never played the game?

Perhaps I was there while you were here spamming here.

Stigler_9_JG52
02-17-2006, 01:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Enthor1:
So Stigler, because YOU have never seen my "handle" there EVER,(I would prefer "callsign", not being a trucker) you deduce that I have never played the game?

Perhaps I was there while you were here spamming here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fine, I'm waiting to hear some impressions then. But I doubt it. For one, you'd have to spend more than 5 minutes just "getting into it", let alone knowing any one plane well enough to make more than a wide-ar_se guess.

So, I got you there: I have a lot of stick time in planes in both these sims.

Enthor1
02-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Yes Stigler, but we want the maps in a sim we actually like to play.

Perhaps this will suffice?

Unlike some people, if I do not care for a game I simply do not play it.

I do not go their forums and bash it, I do not go to their forums and extoll the virtues of my favorite game ad nauseum and I do not denigrate their preferred method of enjoying the game if it differs from my preferred method of enjoying the game.

And, while I am here, what is the deal with quoting a post that is right above yours? That is silly.

Oops, I am guilty of denigrating your preferred method of enjoying how to post, guess I am not perfect either.

Stigler_9_JG52
02-17-2006, 03:41 PM
And, while I am here, what is the deal with quoting a post that is right above yours? That is silly.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not silly, it's a good way of ensuring people know what you're commenting on, especially in a long thread, or to isolate one point out of a long reply.

As for wanting those maps "in a sim you like to play", sure, I can see wanting that. But in this sim, it's not likely to happen. They don't seem to be able to handle maps of this size, so they artificially limit the scale, or use other tricks to "fool you" into thinking you're actually flying wherever. It really shows the lack of understanding of the Pacific War on the part of Oleg's team that they think they can "postage stamp" areas of the Pacific and not properly deal with the vast spaces, the fuel consideration, the navigation, the mission planning, etc.

This is why I offer an alternative.

I450IVex
02-17-2006, 05:14 PM
One massive map covering PNG/Darwin/Bali/Solomons/philopines.....YEAH!

it would make for some AWESOME Scorched earth campaigns

LEBillfish
02-17-2006, 06:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by I450IVex:
One massive map covering PNG/Darwin/Bali/Solomons/philopines.....YEAH!

it would make for some AWESOME Scorched earth campaigns </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehe....yea, and 1/8th the planet...

HarlockGN
02-17-2006, 06:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stigler_9_JG52:
You can get ALL that...plus ALL of Bougainville, plus New Guinea all the way to Wewak...plus New Britain (Rabaul isn't even on the map Viking posted...)
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stigler, i reported you to the moderators for continuated spamming and trolling.
I don't know if you're aware of this, but going to a game's forum and continuoisly advertize for another game/product, commercial or not, is absolutely against the rules of netiquette.

DaimonSyrius
02-17-2006, 06:43 PM
but not wanting a free trial period, and extended free trial period at that?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stigler,

Currently, I'm receiving like 3-4 phone calls/week (that's the good weeks) at my home, during my free time, from all kind of banking, electricity, insurance, etc. companies that want to, insist to and persist into offering me all kinds of services that I DON'T WANT, and they all seem to expect that I should be falling at once for all the 'extended free trial periods' and all the wonderfulnesses they all but declare that I SHOULD be doing, according to them. And when I tell them "not interested, please don't call me again", they all try to reply along the same lines you just were drilling. They can't, because at that time I have already hung the phone up, but still, it's irritating.

Having actually looked by my own will at the good deal of information Targetware provide about themselves in their excellent web sites, I STILL HAVE NO WISH to go any further with Tw, for the reasons I outlined before, and several other reasons that I didn't go into, because this shouldn't be a discussion about Tw. How hard is to understand that?

This is a thread about a purported, wished-for map of the Solomon Islands for the IL2/FB game. Again, how hard is to understand that?
I'd opt for "poor graphics" any day </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So opt for it, and be done with it.
Please.

Cheers,
S.

Enthor1
02-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Well Stigler, I want a million dollers, that is not likely to happen either but that does not cause me to want it less.

Oleg can use any trick he can devise to "fool" me into enjoying 1c's masterpeice, and here is a question for you: If Target Whatever is your cuppa tea, why are you here so much instead of off playing it?

This is all very amusing.

Stigler_9_JG52
02-17-2006, 08:40 PM
I fly TW often. I also am involved in adding new planes, new terrains and new mods, too, which does cut into my stick time.

Meanwhile, I can monitor this board as well. And, fly IL-2 as well, for the short period of time it takes for one of the usual annoyances of it to make itself evident, and then I can't stand it any more. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

There are some folks who do come over, give Targetware an honest look see; some like it, some don't. By the way, most that don't, don't give it an honest appraisal, they just boot it up for 5 minutes, fail to see the IL-2 style graphics and want to make a decision on that alone. &gt;Shrug&lt;.

However, some stay, because they're truly interested in a better simulation, as opposed to just a "game"; one with accuracy, non-politicized flight models, etc., etc. Not to mention a community with a bit more maturity on average and much more of a critical mind.

Targetware isn't for everyone that flies IL-2, certainly... after you weed out the WonderWomen, the arcadists, and those who don't know the slightest thing about history anyway, you're not left with that much. But, I'd like a goodly number of those folks left over to have a chance to check it out. They're the "lowhanging fruit".

DaimonSyrius
02-17-2006, 08:59 PM
I fly TW often
.../...
And, fly IL-2 as well .../... the usual annoyances of it to make itself evident
.../...
Targetware .../... better simulation, as opposed to just a "game"; one with accuracy, non-politicized flight models, etc., etc.
.../...
a community with a bit more maturity on average and much more of a critical mind
.../...
Targetware
.../...
IL-2, certainly... WonderWomen, the arcadists, and those who don't know the slightest thing about history anyway .../... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There we go again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

And over and over again...
etc. etc. etc.
ad infinitum
ad nauseam

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Stigler_9_JG52
02-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Yeah, and it's still relevant...

IL-2's flight model isn't getting any better. All this talk about BoB is just smokescreen, if you ask me. Seems they're just gonna up the ante on processer needed to run the sim, add some more eye candy, and leave the same gaping holes in the FM. Maybe the damage model will get more granular with the objects they add to the aircraft...

The community's still griping over the same issues, with a few new planes to complain about now.

Information to help solve any of these issues is not any more forthcoming than it ever was. It's just, "Trust us, be sure".

PBNA-Boosher
02-18-2006, 06:41 AM
Ok guys, you want it, go ahead and make it. It's not that simple.

HarlockGN
02-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Yeah, and it's still relevant...
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it's not, and everyone is sick of your commercials/spamming/trolling.

Stigler_9_JG52
02-18-2006, 10:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HarlockGN:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stigler, i reported you to the moderators for continuated spamming and trolling.
I don't know if you're aware of this, but going to a game's forum and continuoisly advertize for another game/product, commercial or not, is absolutely against the rules of netiquette. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How nice of you. You get a nice number in the queue? Others have gone before you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Fact is, I've communicated with the moderaters on this issue long ago. And, as long as I'm making comparisons to IL-2 planes, features, etc., all this is relevant; certainly more relevant than some of the rants, namecalling and things that go on here.

You'll notice I do not start "Try Targetware!" threads, and have them popping up like mushrooms around these forums. That would be spamming and a breach of netiquette. I only bring up that competing product as an alternative to all the things that are wrong with IL-2.

A fair comparison of features is fair dinkum.

Y'know, your effort might have been better spent looking into what I posted instead of just being dead set against it because you don't like me.

HarlockGN
02-18-2006, 10:47 AM
How nice of you. You get a nice number in the queue? Others have gone before you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know this is something one shouldn't boast about, don't you?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Fact is, I've communicated with the moderaters on this issue long ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Long ago? And you're still here going on and on and on and on on the same points? Nice. Maybe the moderators will notice you've gone on TOO long.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You'll notice I do not start "Try Targetware!" threads, and have them popping up like mushrooms around these forums. That would be spamming and a breach of netiquette. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't need to start any thread to be a spammer or a troll, just putting your little commercials in every time you have a chance is more than enough.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A fair comparison of features is fair dinkum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A fair comparison is a fair comparison when it's wrote ONCE, if it's posted thousands of time becomes spam.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Y'know, your effort might have been better spent looking into what I posted instead of just being dead set against it because you don't like me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, please, don't deem yourself that important. I couldn't care the less about you personally, nor about targetware or whatever you're spamming about. What i don't like are spammers, and you're quite a big one.

Stigler_9_JG52
02-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Well, if I WERE a pure spammer, especially with my less-than-fanboi approach, I'd have been long gone from here.

So, that should tell you something about YOUR opinion of what constitutes a spammer.

As for your not caring about me, fine; the feeling's mutual and we understand each other perfectly.

Popey109
02-18-2006, 03:24 PM
What sceem you playing at? what, for every person you sign up, you get one month free? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif I vote for Solomon map in FB+PF! Down with all pay too fly carp!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif ...I like the new icons http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif

Enthor1
02-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Hey Stigler,
I, in the interest of fairness, something you might look into, just revisited the Targetware website.

Seemed a bit quiet on all fronts, screens, forums, news etc....

I can better understand your prolific presence here now, you are looking for someone to talk to.

I wish those guys working on Targetware well, they have a tough job ahead and you certainly are not filling any potholes in their path to sucess.

Stigler_9_JG52
02-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Hey Stigler,
I, in the interest of fairness, something you might look into, just revisited the Targetware website.

Seemed a bit quiet on all fronts, screens, forums, news etc....

I can better understand your prolific presence here now, you are looking for someone to talk to.

I wish those guys working on Targetware well, they have a tough job ahead and you certainly are not filling any potholes in their path to sucess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL.

Let's see, in the last month alone, 3 new mods have been planned or appeared, I've seen at least a dozen new planes in varying degrees of readiness that weren't even a gleam in a 2D or 3D person's eye at the beginning of the year.... what board were YOU looking at? Oh, riiiiight...you did the obligatory 2-second check of the PR web pages that have been up for a dog's age. You should go to the Forums, that's where the community lives and breathes, much like it is here. You might even learn something, or find something to get excited about.

Your attempts to dismiss TW are really pathetic, y'know? At least know what you're talking about before you spout off at the mouth.

Enthor1
02-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Actually Stigler, I was not dismissing TW, I was dismissing you.

Stigler_9_JG52
02-18-2006, 07:09 PM
That's fine.... it just shows, again, that you're just attacking the messenger, because you have little to say about the substance of the message.

Carry on fanboi-ing.

anarchy52
02-18-2006, 07:30 PM
TW - 10 minutes:
First thing you'll notice is user interface. It's not ergonomic and it's ugly. Nevermind, Il-2 UI isn't anything special. I'd be perfectly satisfied with standard windows UI like flanker 1.x series.

Set up the controls, again UI leaves a lot to be desired, but ...nevermind. Seems to have a lot more available controls that can be mapped, good. CEM *seems* more advanced.

Start! Cool thing is that you can lean to the side, I like it. Cockpit looks AWFULL compared to Il-2, nevermind, let's get rolling. I notice that I can't use hat switch to look around...now that sucks. I mapped hat switch to look left, look right, etc. but it just momentarily flashes like it's changing view, then gets back to forward view. Nevermind...I have mapped the mouse look button also...not working...oh well, I'm stuck with forward view and externals.

Takeoff is much smoother then Il-2...no bumps, no nothing. Airborne. Tooo easy. Retract the wheels, accelerate and lets try some manuevers.

At first it feels pretty similar to 4.03 only smoother and slower. I like it so far. Let's try a stall. It takes a lot of effort to stall the Macchi compared to Il-2. Again stall feels similar to Il-2, only you can abuse the plane much more then in IL-2, on the other hand plane feels less manuverable, more stable. Blackout also seems to come sooner, but...that's just my feeling. Blackout recovery is quick if you ease up on the stick.

I noticed one graphic detail I like spinup and spindown of the prop: looks much better then IL-2, also spinner is spinning faster not slow motion like Il-2. This was the ONLY graphic related thing I liked.

OK, let's see if I can shoot at something. I see shoot at the globs of pixels on the airfield identified by icons as planes and guns. As I pick up speed plane begs to be trimmed, I'm pushing the stick forward, correcting with rudder...pressing of the trigger is followed by rythmic noise supposed to be guns fireing (not that Il-2 is much better)...I'm hitting a parked bomber...hmmm no effect whatsoever. Rounds follow a balistic arc but leave a straight line trail attached to them. Looks exactly like you're shooting arrows. I do notice rounds (pardon, arrows) ricocheting off the ground. That's kind of cool.

I set up for another pass. This time I deliver a good burst with MG151/20 and machineguns...still nothing. OK, whatever. Maybe you can't shoot up friendlies for all I know.

Time to land. Lower flaps, lower gear...hmmm speed isn't falling off as I expected. Outside view reveals that my landing gear has not deployed (maybe misconfiguration, maybe damage on takeoff). OK, let's try ditching. I reduce the throttle and hold the plane level, letting the speed bleed away...contact! Plane slides to a halt, engine is still running fine http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Enough for today. I *might* try it again if I manage to set up the hat switch views and compare it with Il-2.

FM, from what I tried isn't that bad, but I only scratched the surface. Graphics on the other hand kill any further wish to play (models don't look too bad, but textures and rendering engine are disasterous). Sound is awfull. UI is bad. Sort of blast-to-the past 10-12 years.

One thing I'm sure is that I'd never pay for TW in this form, or even play it. Not worth it.

HarlockGN
02-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Or maybe because the messenger has been exceptionally repeatitive, boring and simply excessively noisy.
Doesn't this TW stuff have a forum of it's own you can go haunt?

Stigler_9_JG52
02-18-2006, 08:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by anarchy52:
TW - 10 minutes: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As if you could really suss out a sim in just ten minutes.... but anyway... on with the tirekicking session. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Set up the controls, again UI leaves a lot to be desired, but ...nevermind. Seems to have a lot more available controls that can be mapped, good. CEM *seems* more advanced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you can't really tell in ten minutes, can you? Not enough time for your engine to get hot, for you to see how fuel consumption changes depending on if you're running lean or rich, no chance to play with any blowers, altered RPM or prop pitch settings, superchargers, ADI, or even cooling flaps (noting how they keep the engine cooler, but wreak havoc with any envelope-edge manueverability). Yes, it all IS, not SEEMS, more advanced. People who roar around at 100% throttle, full RPMs and 'never mind the bollocks' often find themselves noticing their first engine problems, like falloff of power and sputtering, right when they encounter the enemy. Noobs...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I notice that I can't use hat switch to look around...now that sucks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you only think you mapped it. Pure user error, common when spending 5 minutes at something. You'll figure it out...same with mouselook; works just fine, and toggles on and off. The views are VERY configurable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Takeoff is much smoother then Il-2...no bumps, no nothing. Airborne. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You didn't mention that there's actually torque pulling your aircraft.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">At first it feels pretty similar to 4.03 only smoother and slower. I like it so far. Let's try a stall. It takes a lot of effort to stall the Macchi compared to Il-2. Again stall feels similar to Il-2, only you can abuse the plane much more then in IL-2, on the other hand plane feels less manuverable, more stable. Blackout also seems to come sooner, but...that's just my feeling. Blackout recovery is quick if you ease up on the stick.

I noticed one graphic detail I like spinup and spindown of the prop: looks much better then IL-2, also spinner is spinning faster not slow motion like Il-2. This was the ONLY graphic related thing I liked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, at least you found something, eh? Graphics are the one thing I don't spend much time defending. As for the stalls, try that Macchi if you try hamhanding it in a turn. You'll find yourself snapping out of that turn right when you need to be in control. But the effects aren't 'canned' like in IL-2. Some planes mush, some snap, some spin. But, you can't see that trying any ONE plane for just 10 minutes doing circuits around the airfield.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OK, let's see if I can shoot at something. I see shoot at the globs of pixels on the airfield identified by icons as planes and guns. As I pick up speed plane begs to be trimmed, I'm pushing the stick forward, correcting with rudder...pressing of the trigger is followed by rythmic noise supposed to be guns fireing (not that Il-2 is much better)...I'm hitting a parked bomber...hmmm no effect whatsoever. Rounds follow a balistic arc but leave a straight line trail attached to them. Looks exactly like you're shooting arrows. I do notice rounds (pardon, arrows) ricocheting off the ground. That's kind of cool.

I set up for another pass. This time I deliver a good burst with MG151/20 and machineguns...still nothing. OK, whatever. Maybe you can't shoot up friendlies for all I know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe try going online and finding someone to shoot at. (Yes, it is free). I can guarantee the shells are effective, especially the 20mm, which are just as ludicrously effective there as here. One of my lobbying crusades to restore order to the cannon round. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Time to land. Lower flaps, lower gear...hmmm speed isn't falling off as I expected. Outside view reveals that my landing gear has not deployed (maybe misconfiguration, maybe damage on takeoff). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it's that you still haven't bled off enough speed and the gear won't deploy at that speed. Try looking at the airspeed indicator.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OK, let's try ditching. I reduce the throttle and hold the plane level, letting the speed bleed away...contact! Plane slides to a halt, engine is still running fine http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Enough for today. I *might* try it again if I manage to set up the hat switch views and compare it with Il-2.

FM, from what I tried isn't that bad, but I only scratched the surface. Graphics on the other hand kill any further wish to play (models don't look too bad, but textures and rendering engine are disasterous). Sound is awfull. UI is bad. Sort of blast-to-the past 10-12 years.

One thing I'm sure is that I'd never pay for TW in this form, or even play it. Not worth it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just as frustrated as you about the lack of the ground collision model not being shored up. I like hearing people kvetch about this, because most do, and it proves the point that this is one thing that just can't be left unfinished.

However, it seems the BULK of your criticisms (at least, the ones not pure user error and lack of time spent getting used to the sim) are graphic based. You've had no fights, explored NO historical matchups, haven't seen how close the planes come to their historic capabilities.

Thanks for at least having a go at it; I can only encourage you to put a little more effort into it, at least the amount you put into IL-2 when you first encountered it. I'll bet you whined and stamped your foot flying your first Quick Actions offline with IL-2, too? Yep.

Popey109
02-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Why dont you start your own thread to hock your game! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif this ones needed for the Solomons http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/353.gif

VMF-351Bostimax
02-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Hey-who is willing to put up some money for Ianboys to make it?
I would

Stigler_9_JG52
02-19-2006, 11:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Popey109:
Why dont you start your own thread to hock your game! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif this ones needed for the Solomons http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/353.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doofus...you'll notice the alternative we're talking about HAS a full-scale Solomons map, plus even MORE real estate...so it's quite ON TOPIC.

ElAurens
02-19-2006, 01:14 PM
Last I checked this thread was not about TARGET ANYTHING. It's about this sim.

Stigler, you have had a chip on your shoulder about IL2 since the beginning. I don't know what happened with you to sour you so much, but it's time to get the feck over it or go away.

Target Rabaul, et al, will never be more than a misguided alpha project for people who would rather tinker with the inner workings than fly.

The screenshots are ugly, the ground textures are laughable, the cockpits are not up to the current standards of this sim, and the views out of the cockpit look little better than a DOS game.

Address the issues in your sim before you come over here to snipe at this one.

DaimonSyrius
02-19-2006, 01:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:
Address the issues in your sim before you come over here to snipe at this one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's right. I'll add to that:
Stigler, please address TW's issues elsewhere than here.

I hear that TW have their own forums. Couldn't really check without signing up with them, and I don't really care that much as for opening a TW account. I have already explained why I don't care that much. My suggestion would be, go there and post there about how Target Rabaul is going to be so wonderfully better than PF.

Anyway, please stop hijacking this thread.

Cheers,
S.

Stigler_9_JG52
02-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Actually, it's about why "this sim" doesn't have a Solomons Map.

I'm showing you you CAN have a Solomon's map...and a better flight sim, too.

Sorry, it's on topic, and no amount of your aggravation and "graphics only-based" criticism is going to dissuade me. In fact, it actually encourages me, because I know that YOU all know that purty pictures is ALL that IL-2 has on Targetware.

I do see folks from this sim who come by and take a look and like what they see. And they're all welcome.

Meanwhile, on this forum, I will continue to discuss the many, MANY shortcomings of this sim until they improve. And I'll continue to mention that there are alternatives.

ElAurens
02-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Stigler, a "better" sim than this would by definition have to have better graphics, along with a substantially better flight model.
Even if the Targertware series has some aspects of the flight modelling better than the IL2 series, the simple fact that it looks absolutely terrible rules it out as any kind of contender. Coupled with the fact that TW will never be finished to any acceptable, marketable level dooms it to the status of perpetual vaporware.

A great piece of software is a total package. Until you, and the developers of TW understand this you will languish in the backwaters.

That's the way it is.

Stigler_9_JG52
02-19-2006, 05:45 PM
I dunno....I just saw this poking around the terrain forum..

http://theapogee.com/tr/new_guinea-42.jpg

Doesn't look so terrible to me.

Nor does this:

http://www.4stormo.it/public_archive/improved_spit_1.jpg

And, while a flight sim is a total package, the flight modeling is a HUGE part of it, and shouldn't be simply a 2nd or 3rd rate effort propped up by graphics, either.

You can continue settling for "lipstick on a pig" if you want.

HarlockGN
02-19-2006, 08:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DaimonSyrius:
I hear that TW have their own forums. Couldn't really check without signing up with them, and I don't really care that much as for opening a TW account. I have already explained why I don't care that much. My suggestion would be, go there and post there about how Target Rabaul is going to be so wonderfully better than PF.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seconded, with all my heart.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyway, please stop hijacking this thread.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And any other thread. This pathetic commercial break is getting kinda boring. We have them on TV already, don't need them here.

VW-IceFire
02-19-2006, 09:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:
Last I checked this thread was not about TARGET ANYTHING. It's about this sim.

Stigler, you have had a chip on your shoulder about IL2 since the beginning. I don't know what happened with you to sour you so much, but it's time to get the feck over it or go away.

Target Rabaul, et al, will never be more than a misguided alpha project for people who would rather tinker with the inner workings than fly.

The screenshots are ugly, the ground textures are laughable, the cockpits are not up to the current standards of this sim, and the views out of the cockpit look little better than a DOS game.

Address the issues in your sim before you come over here to snipe at this one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Seconded. I have restrained myself in the past but every time we talk about a legitimate issue with this sim Mr. Stigler has to tell us about the virtues of Targetware. While interesting to know about the first, second, and fifteenth time its not helpful and getting irritating.

Is this what they call parasitic marketing? Its not a "for pay" thing so I suppose its not really marketing in a capitalistic sense but in terms of good forum edicate (not that it exists in any great quantity...but one can strive) its just getting long in the tooth.

As for the Solomons map...sounds great...not sure how it could be done...but interesting to talk about. I had thought, and maybe I'm making this up, that the Philipeans was still a possibility (bits and pieces of it anyways). If it was made like Kyushu...it'd be pretty good!

Stigler_9_JG52
02-19-2006, 10:15 PM
When you learn to spell "etiquette", IceFire, maybe, just maybe, I'll consider it.

But anyway, you go on to wonder IF a proper Solomons map can be done in IL-2/PF. Apropos to my point. You don't EVER have full scale maps here, and in the Pacific, the cookie-cutter way they're put together (and the gaps they leave) show how the sim really just doesn't "get" the Pacific war. Then again, with an "island" north of Normandy on that map, it shows what liberties they're willing to play with Europe as well.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif But, hey, it looks nice, right...

Then, in the Oleg Club Med (since that's the closest you'll get to a Mediterranean here), the entire North African shore is compressed into about 60km. What a joke. You have to make a part of Finland stand in for Malta; more laugh tracks fire off.

Well, take heart: the Phillipines is more than just a possiblity. It's about to become reality, as soon as Target:Corregidor shores up a few airfields and a couple of planes, like the Claude, Nate and Hudson....

HarlockGN
02-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Well, take heart: the Phillipines is more than just a possiblity. It's about to become reality, as soon as Target:Corregidor shores up a few airfields and a couple of planes, like the Claude, Nate and Hudson.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We ARE taking heart actually, but not because of what you may think. We feel better at the thought because a certain troll will maybe spend more time flying there and stop spamming this forum with his useless and boring commercial breaks.
If the rest of targetware community is composed by trollish fanboys like you, i have to change some of my previous views. Despite all the dogfightquakers . the redwhiners, the ponywhiners, the .50whiners and the luftwhiners, this one, in comparison, still seems quite a mature community.
You really remind me some of those World of Warcraft troll-kids that, instead of playing, spend their time on the Final Fantasy XI forums spitting litterish remarks trying to demonstrate that their little game is better.

Antoninus
02-20-2006, 03:45 AM
As long as Traget:Rabaul doens't have asingleplayer mode there is definetivly a need for a Solomon map in THIS sim and it doesn't depend how good or map targetware is.

Somebody has posted this map some time ago and it shows that suitable Salomon maps are entirely possible in PF.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6853/258172024818lz.jpg

JG53Frankyboy
02-20-2006, 04:07 AM
my favorite there was always the so called "better Guadalcanal" map http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ElAurens
02-20-2006, 05:16 AM
A Lockheed Hudson in the Phillipines?

VF17_Gunter
02-20-2006, 07:52 AM
Like i've ever said, we need 2 maps for the solomons :

1 : Russel Island to Bougainville

2 : Bougainville to Rabaul area

Enthor1
02-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Guys, you are talking to a tree stump.

Stigler_9_JG52
02-20-2006, 10:22 AM
@ Antonius: The point you're missing with those maps is...you need to be able to fly between and among those maps to capture the distances flown in missions. Unless you always want to have airstarts, the IL-2 system just can't do the Solomons justice. With that melange of isolated maps, you can't:

Fly from Rabaul to the Slot (Guadalcanal period)
Fly from Rabaul to Port Moreseby (Kokoda Trail, Milne Bay period)
Fly from New Britain to New Guinea (Battle of the Solomons Sea in '43)

All of these were classic mission profiles in the Pacific War at various stages, and you can't really do ANY of it with IL-2's postage stamp maps, or even with some of the "proposed maps you have on the area above.

@El Aurens: yes, Hudsons in the Phillipines and in the Dutch East Indies. And even off the coast of Britain, doing ASW and search duties.

VF17_Gunter
02-21-2006, 12:21 AM
Is it so difficult to create a solomon map at the game scale ?

first map : Russel island to Bougainville : 1 hour flying

Second Map, Bougainville tu Rabaul, 1 hour flying

Stigler_9_JG52
02-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Well, first off the game scale is wrong...

Secondly, if you WERE going to fly from Rabaul to Guadalcanal, it's about a 3 HOUR journey each way, with a short loiter time near the target...mostly because you CAN'T make it at 100% throttle, rich, full RPMs. You need drop tanks, lean fuel consumpton and about half throttle. And if your battle damage includes a fuel tank leak...forget about making it home.

In fact, it was only the A6M2s that could make it. One of the things that the A6M3 changed was giving up on the fuel mileage in favor of other improvements (one of them NOT being self-sealing fuel tanks or good pilot armor!!).

CPS_Triad
02-21-2006, 09:57 AM
1: as the result of the frequency and number of times I have seen a banner that *looks* like an advertisement in the unlikely place of a thread, in a topic, dealing with UbiSOft's product, that I do have an interest in, I guarantee I will not be interested in Targetware--- UNLESS, of course, it comes with a box with a bullseye on it. Then I can knock it off the tree stump with my rifle. My interest is in IL-2/PF; not paid add ons. If I do want that, I know where to go.

2: Now, for what I really wanted to address here: YES please- the Slot map would be great; as one or in pieces; in a patch some time. Lovely.

Thank you.

Cheers.

Peace.

Triad

Stigler_9_JG52
02-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Your loss. I'm not particularly expecting bovine fanbois who lack any propensity for comparison to be interested anyway.

And, TW is not a "paid add-on". It's its own sim.

Maybe you should spend more time reading and less admiring your NRA membership card. We've already established that other sims with parallel planesets are cricket for comparison.

Asgeir_Strips
02-21-2006, 01:47 PM

Perhaps I was there while you were here spamming here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fine, I'm waiting to hear some impressions then. But I doubt it. For one, you'd have to spend more than 5 minutes just "getting into it", let alone knowing any one plane well enough to make more than a wide-ar_se guess.

So, I got you there: I have a lot of stick time in planes in both these sims. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't go as far as calling The IL-2 series for a sim. :lol: Some of the damage and flight modelling is horrendously bad.

What my dreamgame would be, is a clone between BoB II WoV and Pacific Fighters.

The whole pacific theatre, and when i say the whole, i really mean it. Every relevant Fighter Aircraft / Dive Bombers /Torpedo Bombers/Light attack / medium bombers should be flyable. (Heavy bombers could be developed for a patch or, a payware addon. The Maps should be large, one map should cover the whole western pacific, etc (you know the deal) Also the campaign should be a lot like the one in BoB II, only that you could choose to be "the overall commander of your country's air forces/naval air forces" or like "squadron CO" , or Fighter group CO. Also the graphics should be better than the graphics in the current Pacific Fighters game. and all the other things such as A.I , tailgunners not being snipers, A.I can only pull the same G's as you, can't see through clouds etc..

this would probably take years to develop, but i'd rather wait for that, with a super good computer btw, as it probably would require a really good comp. (not a problem with the new 64 bit processors and all that ****) , so i'd rather wait for something like that, instead for settling for a half baked product that the developers know is half baked too.

you can let EA games and developers such as that please the general gaming guy, but for us, ├╝ber hardcore sim-enthusiasts :lol: we shouldn't settle for anything less..

and btw, let the bashing begin!

SeaNorris
02-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Stigler,

You called someone a "fanboi" on another page, someone who happens to be talking about the sim they love in the sims home forums!

Yet, if anyone is the "fanboi" here, its you. I tried Targetware, for more than ten minutes, for a whole week, and I can tell you, I hated it, never knew planes could be hurled around by yanking the joystick back, some history I didn't know there.

You really want to know my mind? You do not like IL-2 GTFO and go back to Targetware forums.

crazyivan1970
02-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Stigler Suspended for a week for high jacking threads and spamming ORR. Carry on.

crazyivan1970
02-21-2006, 03:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wouldn't go as far as calling The IL-2 series for a sim. :lol: Some of the damage and flight modelling is horrendously bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No bashing, dont worry. But answer me one question... if IL2 is not a simulation, then what is? Bad FM and DM, ok, i`ll bite. Sure there are some limitations to what we are expecting, sure there are some planes that could have been better...but you are making a big statement that is very generic.

p.s. Appologies to original poster, did not mean to go off topic...just replying http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

DaimonSyrius
02-21-2006, 04:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
Stigler Suspended for a week for high jacking threads and spamming ORR. Carry on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks CrazyIvan http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Now we can enjoy a more Pacific atmosphere here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cheers,
S.

stansdds
02-21-2006, 06:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
Stigler Suspended for a week for high jacking threads and spamming ORR. Carry on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you. I started this thread and I came very close to asking that it be locked since it had spiraled into something far from a petition to get the Solomon Islands added to Pacific Fighters.

HarlockGN
02-22-2006, 04:37 AM

You have my thanks Ivan ^_^

DaimonSyrius
02-22-2006, 08:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MercilessFatBoy:
WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS ******... BAN HIM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Relax, man... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif it already happened.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazyivan1970

Cheers,
S.

P.S.: Since the hijacking has left the place so silent...

I wish the palm trees wouldn't be such fps-eaters throughout the Pacific maps, Solomon and elsewhere. Has anyone pointed to an alternative yet?

MercilessFatBoy
02-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Finaly a topic that has a happy ending

stansdds
02-23-2006, 04:23 AM
It will truely be a happy ending when we have the Solomon Islands. Come on, we have the Corsairs and great VMF-214 skins, but we don't have the proper maps.

DaimonSyrius
02-23-2006, 04:28 AM
I'm not holding my breath on it, but sure it'd be nice.

**Plays some old Rolling Stones' theme http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Cheers,
S.

joeap
02-23-2006, 06:25 AM
Best thread in awhile...and an overdue banning (I am a fanboy and proud of it). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Anyway, DaimonSyrius asked a good question...any alternative to the palm treees would be nice. Foilage is problematic in sims...gave the demo of T-72 BoF a go and noticed a real FPS loss looking through my sight in tall grass. Yet that is a point of armour warfare using cover and such...not very important for flying though for hiding targets.

VF-51-Dart
02-23-2006, 08:48 AM
Yes, please give us the Solomons!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

As to Stiglr, thanks Ivan!! Stiglr can never be satisfied. He *****ed and moaned about WBs for years, then moved here and loved it for a while, then began his whining here and eventually moved on to TR, where NO DOUBT he'll begin *****ing and moaning in the not too distant future. LOL

Cadet_Bobo
02-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Soloman map...DA!! even in sections. But if we could get it in one piece..very long flight times but fun.

VF-51-Dart
02-23-2006, 02:30 PM
Couldn't agree more Bobo.