PDA

View Full Version : Apologies to Oleg

e2michaelb
01-31-2005, 04:43 PM
When I saw the BI-1 rocket interceptor listed in the inventory of game aircraft, I thought Oleg was spinning a little Russian propaganda, because I had never heard of it and thought the ME-163 was the first operations-ready rocket interceptor. Guess what? The History Channel recently ran a 1-hour program entitled "Russia's Secret Airplanes of World War 2"(sic). Not only was the BI-1 developed and ready for combat in 1942, but I also learned that the Russian aircraft designers were at the cutting edge of design innovation in the 20's! They were developing tailless 'planes, rocket-powered designs, ram-jet designs, etc.,ahead of just about everyone else. So, Oleg, I apologize for my mocking thoughts about the inclusion of the BI-1 in the inventory. You guys ruled!

e2michaelb
01-31-2005, 04:43 PM
When I saw the BI-1 rocket interceptor listed in the inventory of game aircraft, I thought Oleg was spinning a little Russian propaganda, because I had never heard of it and thought the ME-163 was the first operations-ready rocket interceptor. Guess what? The History Channel recently ran a 1-hour program entitled "Russia's Secret Airplanes of World War 2"(sic). Not only was the BI-1 developed and ready for combat in 1942, but I also learned that the Russian aircraft designers were at the cutting edge of design innovation in the 20's! They were developing tailless 'planes, rocket-powered designs, ram-jet designs, etc.,ahead of just about everyone else. So, Oleg, I apologize for my mocking thoughts about the inclusion of the BI-1 in the inventory. You guys ruled!

cwojackson
01-31-2005, 04:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by e2michaelb:
When I saw the BI-1 rocket interceptor listed in the inventory of game aircraft, I thought Oleg was spinning a little Russian propaganda, because I had never heard of it and thought the ME-163 was the first operations-ready rocket interceptor. Guess what? The History Channel recently ran a 1-hour program entitled "Russia's Secret Airplanes of World War 2"(sic). Not only was the BI-1 developed and ready for combat in 1942, but I also learned that the Russian aircraft designers were at the cutting edge of design innovation in the 20's! They were developing tailless 'planes, rocket-powered designs, ram-jet designs, etc.,ahead of just about everyone else. So, Oleg, I apologize for my mocking thoughts about the inclusion of the BI-1 in the inventory. You guys ruled! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Did the show mention why the BI-1, or any of the other more radical designs, weren't deployed?

3.JG51_BigBear
01-31-2005, 04:49 PM
Yeah the Bl1 was one of the first planes added and I was really skeptical of the thing for a long time but plenty of people on the forums with info back up Oleg. Its kind of a cool plane, would have been really nice with those wingtip ramjets that the CG model had in the show.

3.JG51_BigBear
01-31-2005, 04:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cwojackson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by e2michaelb:
When I saw the BI-1 rocket interceptor listed in the inventory of game aircraft, I thought Oleg was spinning a little Russian propaganda, because I had never heard of it and thought the ME-163 was the first operations-ready rocket interceptor. Guess what? The History Channel recently ran a 1-hour program entitled "Russia's Secret Airplanes of World War 2"(sic). Not only was the BI-1 developed and ready for combat in 1942, but I also learned that the Russian aircraft designers were at the cutting edge of design innovation in the 20's! They were developing tailless 'planes, rocket-powered designs, ram-jet designs, etc.,ahead of just about everyone else. So, Oleg, I apologize for my mocking thoughts about the inclusion of the BI-1 in the inventory. You guys ruled! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Did the show mention why the BI-1, or any of the other more radical designs, weren't deployed? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was no need for them anymore. Rockets and Jets were taking too long to complete and Stalin thought, correctly, that he could win the war with conventional aircraft. The Bl1 was also designed for a very specific interceptor role which wasn't needed as much after 1941 with less and less incursions by Luftwaffe bombers.

cwojackson
01-31-2005, 05:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3.JG51_BigBear:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cwojackson:
When I saw the BI-1 rocket interceptor listed in the inventory of game aircraft, I thought Oleg was spinning a little Russian propaganda, because I had never heard of it and thought the ME-163 was the first operations-ready rocket interceptor. Guess what? The History Channel recently ran a 1-hour program entitled "Russia's Secret Airplanes of World War 2"(sic). Not only was the BI-1 developed and ready for combat in 1942, but I also learned that the Russian aircraft designers were at the cutting edge of design innovation in the 20's! They were developing tailless 'planes, rocket-powered designs, ram-jet designs, etc.,ahead of just about everyone else. So, Oleg, I apologize for my mocking thoughts about the inclusion of the BI-1 in the inventory. You guys ruled! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Did the show mention why the BI-1, or any of the other more radical designs, weren't deployed? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was no need for them anymore. Rockets and Jets were taking too long to complete and Stalin thought, correctly, that he could win the war with conventional aircraft. The Bl1 was also designed for a very specific interceptor role which wasn't needed as much after 1941 with less and less incursions by Luftwaffe bombers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Given the lack of German strategic bombers...thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious.

3.JG51_BigBear
01-31-2005, 05:05 PM
Just here to help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Gibbage1
01-31-2005, 06:08 PM
Stalin feared rockets and jailed the Bi-1's designer.

cwojackson
01-31-2005, 06:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gibbage1:
Stalin feared rockets and jailed the Bi-1's designer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I've often wondered what the Soviet Union would have become if Stalin hadn't killed off or imprisoned so many competent military officers and designers/developers.

LEXX_Luthor
01-31-2005, 08:08 PM
Yes, Tukachevski (sp?) (army) and Alksnis (air force) I guess were the most important ones. Hitler's Barbarossa directive ordered Luftwaffe to bomb any remaining Ural Mountain industry after the German Army reached the Volga up north far beyond Moscow (what nerve http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif). And what if Hitler had listened to the few 1930s German military leaders who argued for Ural Bomber? (General Weaver I think was the big one). Well, at least Hitler didn't have em shot. Or did he?

cj:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
BigBear may have been reporting what was said on the Dogfighter Channel, I don't know. I didn't see it either.

Thanks BigBear http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

3.JG51_BigBear
01-31-2005, 08:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
Yes, Tukachevski (sp?) (army) and Alksnis (air force) I guess were the most important ones. Hitler's Barbarossa directive ordered Luftwaffe to bomb any remaining Ural Mountain industry after the German Army reached the Volga up north far beyond Moscow _(what nerve http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)_. And what if Hitler had listened to the few 1930s German military leaders who argued for Ural Bomber? (General Weaver I think was the big one). Well, at least Hitler didn't have em shot. Or did he?

cj:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
BigBear may have been reporting what was said on the Dogfighter Channel, I don't know. I didn't see it either.

Thanks BigBear http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NP, I didn't know much of anything about the Bl1 until last night. It was a really interesting program, I'm sure there will be plenty of times for you to catch it, they tend to play things over and over and over again. I still prefer the secret weapons of Japan but this one was still very good. The flying tank was kinda cool and the Soviets had this nifty idea for a "stealth" aircraft. It was made out of clear fabric from France but reacted to the sun so after several hours in the air it looked like any other aircraft.

LEXX_Luthor
01-31-2005, 08:26 PM
As far as I know, BI~1 has the longest game object viewer text, just goes on and on and -- the most I ever read about it.

If the German Army gets far past Moscow, or the equivalent for lack of MAPS, in my Dynamic Campaign I'm making (dream on Lexx), BI~1 units will certainly be available for Player to be possibly assigned to.

JunkoIfurita
02-01-2005, 11:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If the German Army gets far past Moscow, or the equivalent for lack of MAPS, in my Dynamic Campaign I'm making (dream on Lexx), BI~1 units will certainly be available for Player to be possibly assigned to. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Talk to Tailspin, who makes 'Grand Mini' fictional dynamic campaigns for use with Lowengrin's DCG. He has a 'fatherland' campaign where the Soviets fail to envelop the germans in the Balaton, and the Nazi forces push back through onto Moscow. I'm not sure if the BI1 is included as a flyable aircraft, but he (and Paul Lowengrin) would be the people to talk to if you're interested in making Dynamic Campaigns.

I'm tentatively working on one myself - on where the Japanese push into Australia succeeds, and they have to face an assault from the USN, who are assaulting New Guinea from the north (attempting to split the Imperial forces in two). Carrier operations in New Guinea - hooray http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

----

LEXX_Luthor
02-02-2005, 07:33 AM
Thanks. Talking with the maps is the hardest thing. And, we have new maps coming. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif