PDA

View Full Version : Significance of L'vov map?

LameDuck.
10-28-2005, 10:22 AM
I was up late last night studying L'vov's role in the war, but I couldn't find any mention of significant air battles in the area. I get the impression in 1941 there was very little resistance to the German entrance into L'vov. Then, as Russia advanced in 6/1944 the nearest large battle was apparently at Brody.
All of the other historical maps have air war significance (Stalingrad, kursk, Normandy, et cetera) so I feel that I am missing something? Or is it simply a neat area thrown in for variety?

LameDuck.
10-28-2005, 10:22 AM
I was up late last night studying L'vov's role in the war, but I couldn't find any mention of significant air battles in the area. I get the impression in 1941 there was very little resistance to the German entrance into L'vov. Then, as Russia advanced in 6/1944 the nearest large battle was apparently at Brody.
All of the other historical maps have air war significance (Stalingrad, kursk, Normandy, et cetera) so I feel that I am missing something? Or is it simply a neat area thrown in for variety?

turnipkiller
10-28-2005, 11:18 AM
I am not sure about major air battles, but there was a huge resistance on the ground to German entry in L'vov (also known as L'wow, and L'viv.) Germany reached the city suburbs on Sept. 12 1939, and began a seige of the city, another Battle of Lwow only 19 years after the last time the city was attacked.

German troops surrounding the beseiged city were replaced by Russian troops when they invaded from the east on Sept. 17. The Polish garrison tried a counter-attack which failed on Sept. 19. They formally surrendered on Sept. 23 to Russian troops commanded by General Timoshenko.

The Poles were trying to desperately hold the city, because it's strategic position prevented Germany from crossing the Romanian Bridgehead.

I would guess that there would be plenty of bomber action over the city as part of the German/Russian seige of the city, but I'm only speculating.

LameDuck.
10-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Thanks! That helps a lot, I visited so many web sites and they all had their own spin on things. Many of them simply made no mention of the siege. With your help I was able to wring a little more information out of Wikipedia and Google.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif