PDA

View Full Version : Thank You, Good Work

volkware.xyz
10-26-2004, 04:16 PM
The 1C series of WWII combat flight simulators are more than just games - they are important interactive historical records.

When one plays a simple fps, one generally does not stop actual play of the game to just walk around - to see how one`s legs react to walking up a hillside, or to look down upon ones feet and see what they look like at any particular moment.

I`m not sure if I can adequately explain this.

I recently acquired the Gold Pack of FB and Aces, which marks technically the third time I`ve bought IL-2, and I don`t mind. I believe I have received my money`s worth on all 3 purchases. I knew the Gotha/Horton 229 was flyable in the expansion, and flying it was a genuine thrill; for the record, Germans really had a serious late-war mental block when it came to ammo loads on new designs... . Anyway, it was of course a tremendous experience to take this flying wing into the air. I can imagine the pilots favouring earplugs given their position in the airframe. Much to my delight I also found that the He-162 was flyable... wow... awfully good aircraft for a 'desperate' drawing board phase. Most surprising to me was the opportunity to fly a particular twin-engined fighter/bomber of the Luftwaffe; this I was not expecting. I have always had a hankering to try taking to the air with some of the German "night-fighter" aircraft, and to do so with a couple in particular. One of those turned out to be the Me/Bf 110.

I love that plane.

Is it the fastest? Most maneuverable? Sturdiest? Steadiest? Most heavily armed? Is it out-classed by other fighter designs? You know, all of those questions are moot... the 110 may not be the most ideal plane to fly if you want to *win*, but I love flying it anyway. Perhaps its my third favourite plane in the entire game.

Maybe thats at the heart of the integrity of the 1C flight combat sims.

Thanks and continued success in the future.

volkware.xyz
10-26-2004, 04:16 PM
The 1C series of WWII combat flight simulators are more than just games - they are important interactive historical records.

When one plays a simple fps, one generally does not stop actual play of the game to just walk around - to see how one`s legs react to walking up a hillside, or to look down upon ones feet and see what they look like at any particular moment.

I`m not sure if I can adequately explain this.

I recently acquired the Gold Pack of FB and Aces, which marks technically the third time I`ve bought IL-2, and I don`t mind. I believe I have received my money`s worth on all 3 purchases. I knew the Gotha/Horton 229 was flyable in the expansion, and flying it was a genuine thrill; for the record, Germans really had a serious late-war mental block when it came to ammo loads on new designs... . Anyway, it was of course a tremendous experience to take this flying wing into the air. I can imagine the pilots favouring earplugs given their position in the airframe. Much to my delight I also found that the He-162 was flyable... wow... awfully good aircraft for a 'desperate' drawing board phase. Most surprising to me was the opportunity to fly a particular twin-engined fighter/bomber of the Luftwaffe; this I was not expecting. I have always had a hankering to try taking to the air with some of the German "night-fighter" aircraft, and to do so with a couple in particular. One of those turned out to be the Me/Bf 110.

I love that plane.

Is it the fastest? Most maneuverable? Sturdiest? Steadiest? Most heavily armed? Is it out-classed by other fighter designs? You know, all of those questions are moot... the 110 may not be the most ideal plane to fly if you want to *win*, but I love flying it anyway. Perhaps its my third favourite plane in the entire game.

Maybe thats at the heart of the integrity of the 1C flight combat sims.

Thanks and continued success in the future.