PDA

View Full Version : Trounced by an angry DD

gunnulf229
08-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Been a while since I last posted. Honestly, been a little while since real life has afforded me the opportunity to get in a mission. But, enough of that.

Last night, after having finally successfully downloaded and installed Grey Wolves supermod (no kidding, this thing really kicked SHIII into high gear!), I was sent on patrol in a VIIB into the waters just off the eastern coast of northern England, southeast of Scapa Flow. I spent some time patrolling up and down the coast, looking for the always promising loner ship, as it is early 1940. I was just coming up on Hartlepool (I had romaed quite far south in my hunt) when my lookout tells me a ship has been spotted at medium range. I leap to the conning tower, and even though it's past midnight, it's light outside. I whip my head around and lo and behold, at roughly 2500 meters distant, cominmg right up our wake, a Hunt class with it's light firmly nailed onto us. A quick sounding shows us to be in 85 meters of water so I pull the plug and crash dive (at this point shells are whizzing by us as we plunge into the dark waters). (As an aside, major kudos to all the modders who made GW so cool, the sound mods alone make it worthwhile)

We dive downward, reaching 70 meters. I decide to take it back up towards periscope depth to have a shot at this guy (I had been nearing a merchant contact just before running into this clown).

At 25 meters, I go to the persiscope, and raise it to look upwards prior to getting to proper periscope depth (kind of want to know how close he is before popping my spargel above the waves). Good thing I did, I see his keel just prior to him passing overhead...I can see ashcans falling too.

As the wabos start going off, I start getting shouted reports of damage. What's worse, we're flooding. I kick our speed up to try and maintain depth, but it's a losing battle. We kick into full survival and damage control mode.

Flooding in aft torpedo compartment, both electric motor and diesel engine compartments are flooding as is the aft crew quarters. Forward crew quarters has sustained damage as well, but without flooding.

As we slowly drop in depth, I slow our speed to decrease the chances of further damage, as impacting the bottom now seems inevitable. Crews are working like mad to stop the flooding.

Finally, after a seeming eternity, flooding is under control in the electric motor compartment. We're getting water overboard from this compartment at least. Next they begin work on the diesel engine room, now half flooded. Again, the clock seems to tick almost backwards as the men work like maniacs, frantic to stopn the sea from turning our boat into yet another coffin littering the seafloor.

They have the flooding under control there as well, but our joy is shortlived as we can hear the swish of propellors going overhead. Sonar confirms he has dropped on top of us again. The boat rattles, but no new flooding, so we are still with the living.

At last, in quick succession, flooding is controlled in all compartments and pumping begins. After an interminable amount of time, we are as dry as we can be, in this humid tin can of ours. We lift free of the bottom, and with a sigh of relief, get underway at our slowest speed, and finally the crew can sit quietly and hope their captin can do his magic, as they have so recently done theirs.

We creep off under silent running, due east, to get us some sea room. After nearly 5 minutes, we are starting to think we've broken o utside of his sweep. Swishing approaches again, and again he drops. Close, but not so close as before. Twice more he passes and drops, but each pass further then the last. He's lost us!

We creep along quietly for several hours, and finally surface at a few hours before dawn. The flak guns are damaged, the attack scope is a wreck and cannot be repaired outside of the shipyard and we'll have some work to do on the bent deck plating forward before the deck gun will be useable. And while the flooding has been contained, the aft tube is beyond our ability to repair at sea. A shame, as the fish inside the tube and the spare in the aft torpedo room are our only remaing torpedoes. Unfortunate, but it could definitely have been worse.

We radio Bdu and inform them of our status, and are ordered back to Kiel for repairs and rearming. Our hunting trip home is tense, and even the encounter of a Brit merchant later cannot raise our spirits, as our deck gun cripples it, but fails to hole her sufficiently to sink her prior to our running out of ammunition. The last we see of her, burning and hull well down, but clearly not wounded beyond her ability to repair. And us with two useless fish sitting in our crippled stern!

Perhaps next patrol.

gunnulf229
08-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Been a while since I last posted. Honestly, been a little while since real life has afforded me the opportunity to get in a mission. But, enough of that.

Last night, after having finally successfully downloaded and installed Grey Wolves supermod (no kidding, this thing really kicked SHIII into high gear!), I was sent on patrol in a VIIB into the waters just off the eastern coast of northern England, southeast of Scapa Flow. I spent some time patrolling up and down the coast, looking for the always promising loner ship, as it is early 1940. I was just coming up on Hartlepool (I had romaed quite far south in my hunt) when my lookout tells me a ship has been spotted at medium range. I leap to the conning tower, and even though it's past midnight, it's light outside. I whip my head around and lo and behold, at roughly 2500 meters distant, cominmg right up our wake, a Hunt class with it's light firmly nailed onto us. A quick sounding shows us to be in 85 meters of water so I pull the plug and crash dive (at this point shells are whizzing by us as we plunge into the dark waters). (As an aside, major kudos to all the modders who made GW so cool, the sound mods alone make it worthwhile)

We dive downward, reaching 70 meters. I decide to take it back up towards periscope depth to have a shot at this guy (I had been nearing a merchant contact just before running into this clown).

At 25 meters, I go to the persiscope, and raise it to look upwards prior to getting to proper periscope depth (kind of want to know how close he is before popping my spargel above the waves). Good thing I did, I see his keel just prior to him passing overhead...I can see ashcans falling too.

As the wabos start going off, I start getting shouted reports of damage. What's worse, we're flooding. I kick our speed up to try and maintain depth, but it's a losing battle. We kick into full survival and damage control mode.

Flooding in aft torpedo compartment, both electric motor and diesel engine compartments are flooding as is the aft crew quarters. Forward crew quarters has sustained damage as well, but without flooding.

As we slowly drop in depth, I slow our speed to decrease the chances of further damage, as impacting the bottom now seems inevitable. Crews are working like mad to stop the flooding.

Finally, after a seeming eternity, flooding is under control in the electric motor compartment. We're getting water overboard from this compartment at least. Next they begin work on the diesel engine room, now half flooded. Again, the clock seems to tick almost backwards as the men work like maniacs, frantic to stopn the sea from turning our boat into yet another coffin littering the seafloor.

They have the flooding under control there as well, but our joy is shortlived as we can hear the swish of propellors going overhead. Sonar confirms he has dropped on top of us again. The boat rattles, but no new flooding, so we are still with the living.

At last, in quick succession, flooding is controlled in all compartments and pumping begins. After an interminable amount of time, we are as dry as we can be, in this humid tin can of ours. We lift free of the bottom, and with a sigh of relief, get underway at our slowest speed, and finally the crew can sit quietly and hope their captin can do his magic, as they have so recently done theirs.

We creep off under silent running, due east, to get us some sea room. After nearly 5 minutes, we are starting to think we've broken o utside of his sweep. Swishing approaches again, and again he drops. Close, but not so close as before. Twice more he passes and drops, but each pass further then the last. He's lost us!

We creep along quietly for several hours, and finally surface at a few hours before dawn. The flak guns are damaged, the attack scope is a wreck and cannot be repaired outside of the shipyard and we'll have some work to do on the bent deck plating forward before the deck gun will be useable. And while the flooding has been contained, the aft tube is beyond our ability to repair at sea. A shame, as the fish inside the tube and the spare in the aft torpedo room are our only remaing torpedoes. Unfortunate, but it could definitely have been worse.

We radio Bdu and inform them of our status, and are ordered back to Kiel for repairs and rearming. Our hunting trip home is tense, and even the encounter of a Brit merchant later cannot raise our spirits, as our deck gun cripples it, but fails to hole her sufficiently to sink her prior to our running out of ammunition. The last we see of her, burning and hull well down, but clearly not wounded beyond her ability to repair. And us with two useless fish sitting in our crippled stern!

Perhaps next patrol.

AdolphMeinhard
08-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Nice patrol report- people who don't play SH3 just wouldn't understand-congrats on your good fortune, however I am confused a little -BDU message said to return to Kiel but you still had torps left? A.M.

jlpilkey
08-14-2006, 11:31 PM
wow nice patrol congrats and luck was on your side . i wish i had luck ;ike that on my last patrol had to restart my career.

Marriott90
08-15-2006, 12:34 AM
Good report. Gotta love the flooding. Probably one of the scariest types of damage i ever recieve

jlpilkey
08-15-2006, 01:08 AM
yes flooding is pretty bad and at some points can be the worse damage but in my opinion loosing your electric while underattack by dd's was the worst ive had ither way there both just as bad

gunnulf229
08-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Adolph,

Creative reporting on my part about the Bdu radio report. They actually told me to keep up the good work. But, as I said, my aft tube was destroyed, and all I had left was the fish in that tube and a reload for that tube, so while I had two fish remaining, I couldn't use them. So, I had to return to port. It would be cool if there were some way for the reports you sent to Bdu to be more useful, but all sims have their limits.

Gunnulf

gunnulf229
08-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Flooding I can deal with, provided it's not in too many compartments or too bad for the crew to handle. Worst I ever took in damage was a depth charge attack while I was just at periscope depth (I was headed deeper, but had been creeping along, so I was descending very slowly). His first drop nailed me, I had damage in several compartments forward, which gave my dive a decidedly steeper nose down attitude, it also knocked my boat off kilter, in that I had about a 20 degree list to starboard. Ended up bow down in the mud with my stern sticking out of the water. I lasted about another minute while the DD ponded my stern with guns. Talk about being helpless.