PDA

View Full Version : What Type IX is the best? or which should I go for?

S VIIC_41
04-23-2005, 01:47 PM
I was thinking of maybe switching to a Type IX from my VIIB because I want to try out the bigass deck gun, and it has more torpedoes and stuff.

I'm not sure if I will though, because I want to get a Type XXI when they come around and they're 30k renown, which I might not be able to get by April '44 as I am now, let alone by buying a new boat.

So I was wondering, what's the best time to buy a Type IX? I hear the price of the IX or IXB or whatever goes down after a while I think.

How much renown difference is there between the different IXs?

And is it common to be given orders to patrol off the coast of Saturn? o_o I don't want to have to go that far... I hate getting to my patrol zone.

vodkavera
04-23-2005, 03:20 PM
It´s not a market!
Get the good stuff when u can.Why wait?
Yes, you will get patrollzones in a galaxy far far away. (Read south africa)
You don´t have to go there, but you will loose renown if you don´t.

I love my IX-C/40.

alanschu
04-23-2005, 03:24 PM
You don't "lose" renown per se. Although you won't "gain" the renown, so in that sense you do "lose" it.

I'm lost http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

vodkavera
04-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Check out the brain on alanschu. Smartass! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Nukem_Hicks
04-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Stick with what you have. I don't know how hardcore you are, but I play "dead is dead" and like to maximize my chances of survival as a result. Yes, the IXs carry more torps. This requires a much larger boat. Larger boats take longer to dive and are easier to pick up with ASDIC. You'll have a hard time making it to April '44 on higher realism levels in a IX.

I tried out the IX on my first campaign and participating in Operation Drumbeat was quite enjoyable. Otherwise, I much prefer my VIIC. She's fast, nimble, can take one hell of a beating, and the shorter patrol times counter the lack of torpedos (basically, a VIIC will burn through the fish much faster, resulting in higher tonnage rates).

S VIIC_41
04-23-2005, 03:46 PM
How much renown do you actually get for getting to your patrol zone and patrolling it?

If it's any kind of significant amount, I'd rather stick with my VIIB and its 14 torpedoes. Besides, I hate long patrols <_< though if I don't sink a lot of ships I'll never get a Type XXI... hmm... in the long run a IX might get it faster, though probably not actually... since it costs many thousands of renown to buy and upgrade.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I don't know how hardcore you are, but I play "dead is dead" and like to maximize my chances of survival as a result. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, I'm just a softcore wuss ;D. Dead is reload for me... though maybe I'll try dead is dead when I finish my campaign.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>She's fast, nimble, can take one hell of a beating, and the shorter patrol times counter the lack of torpedos (basically, a VIIC will burn through the fish much faster, resulting in higher tonnage rates). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm? explain.

... at first I thought it was that a VIIC would finish patrols quicker and therefore be ready for another earlier while a IX would still be out but... a IX isn't much slower and has more torps so that doesn't make sense.

I'm not quite getting what you mean... how does it get through the torps faster?

vodkavera
04-23-2005, 03:52 PM
You´ll get some points getting there, and some points if you patroll 24h.

I´ve just finished a patroll where I didn´t go to the "zone" outside S.Africa.
I sank 40´+ and I got ~700 renown!

Nukem_Hicks
04-23-2005, 04:02 PM
According to the .cfg files, you get 500 points for reaching your patrol grid and 200 for staying there for 24 hours. You gain an additional 100 points for returning to base manually (vs exiting out). Thus, making it to your patrol grid is vital if you wish to gain 30,000 points of reknown by 1944.

My VIIC patrols typically last about 10 days if I'm ordered to patrol the British approaches, 20 if I'm ordered down to Gibralter. We'll call it 2 weeks on average. My average patrols in the IX lasted more like 5 or 6 weeks. Now, the IX has 21 torps vs. the VIIC's 14, so roughly 30% more torps. But the patrols take 100 to 200% longer to complete. Meaning that by the time you throw in those month-long refits, one patrol typically takes the IX ten weeks to complete while one patrol takes the VII more like five. Thus, the VII completes two patrols for every one the IX completes. Finally, that means the VII has access to 28 torps while the IX has access to 21 torps for the same amount of time (10 weeks). Thus, the VII burns through the torps faster.

Of course, you can negate this effect by patrolling close to port, but you'll lose a lot of reknown and it's doubtful you'll have 30,000 by 1944.

alanschu
04-23-2005, 04:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Check out the brain on alanschu. Smartass! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a gift really http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

lowdown762n2003
04-23-2005, 07:39 PM
There wasn't a whole major difference inbetween different IX's. Size slowly rose, speed stayed about the same, depth changed some, distance increased as they made them larger to hold more fuel. Amount of tubes stayed the same. The dive times only fluctuade by about 5 seconds. Could make the difference between life and death though. The B carried reloads of 8 internal 7 external, The C and C/40 uped the external to 8 and the D2 to 12. The D2 did increase speed surfaced by about a knot but lost a tad of submerged speed and range. Basically, from what I read, most ppl that want an IX jump into the B or hold the pocket change unitl on of the better variants become available. Myself I suggest that you try out one of the IX's as they are a good boat. Just don't hang in the shallows to much due to the larger size it was easier to spot. If you want an XXI but also want to try an IX I would jump into one as soon as they are available so you should have time to build your prestige back up. If I remember correct the IX-B comes out in 38 and you have till early 45. Haven't made it to the war end yet. Was wondering if you have time to splurge on an XXI only to have the war end soon as actually happened.

Daxos1942
04-24-2005, 02:25 AM
That's another thing that I like about this game, you can try whatever you want, and save other stuff for another campaign/time.

I love my IXC, great range, torpedoes loadout and deck/flack guns. Just came back from a patrol wreaking havok off the coast of the USA. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

veovis39
04-24-2005, 01:34 PM
If you don't like getting sent to Capetown every time (I know I don't) join the 11th Flotilla based out of Bergen, Norway. Even in my type IX they sent me to Britain usually, the AM, AL, BE, and BF grids.

I was really psyched to get my type XXI but once I got it I realized I was disappointed. It's somewhere in between a normal U-boat and a modern sub, but it doesn't really give you the full experience either way.

S VIIC_41
04-24-2005, 01:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you don't like getting sent to Capetown every time (I know I don't) join the 11th Flotilla based out of Bergen, Norway. Even in my type IX they sent me to Britain usually, the AM, AL, BE, and BF grids. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

11th Flotilla... when does the option to transfer there open up?

Sidmo
04-24-2005, 01:50 PM
1941 I believe, or '42.

One of the two anyways. Bergen aint a bad base to be based at, dont worry about navigating the straights, it's not like Lorient, you can Time compress through the entire thing out into the arctic

MouseNo47
04-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Personally i am awaiting the ixd2. Overall its the best of the lot for the jack of all trades. The dive times dont worry me as i dont intend to have any destroyers chasing me.

If a deck gun decreases my speed underwater, so be it. I much prefer the tonnage to overall speed or dive time.