PDA

View Full Version : OT: Kubicas crash (F1)

Airmail109
06-14-2007, 10:28 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7pIlpda3Xbk

The more I watch it, the more I'm amazed by the fact he survived. Some serious engineering and luck going on there.

Brought back bad memories of 1994 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Senna was killed by shrapnel though wasn't he? Piece of suspension hit his head and pierced his helmet? Are todays helmets ballistic resistant like say the militaries?

The safety box around Kubica didn't crumple, but something could have quite easily flown off and ht him

Airmail109
06-14-2007, 10:28 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7pIlpda3Xbk

The more I watch it, the more I'm amazed by the fact he survived. Some serious engineering and luck going on there.

Brought back bad memories of 1994 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Senna was killed by shrapnel though wasn't he? Piece of suspension hit his head and pierced his helmet? Are todays helmets ballistic resistant like say the militaries?

The safety box around Kubica didn't crumple, but something could have quite easily flown off and ht him

MrMojok
06-14-2007, 10:32 PM
My first thought when the car came to rest was about Senna as well.

It says a lot about how far the safety has come that he walked out of the hospital the next day with only a sprained ankle and mild concussion.

Airmail109
06-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Yeah! Though it reminded me of Ratzenbergers, poor guy tends to get forgotten

Badsight-
06-14-2007, 10:41 PM
the lower camera shot of the impact is well impressive - thats one totaled car

senna's 300 km/h impact didnt break the box he sat in like what happened to kubica - the wheel linkages poked him in the head as it exploded upwards

good chance he would have been no worse than Mika Hakkenin in his 1995 aussie crash

MrMojok
06-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Actually the way the car seemed to leap off the kerb and shoot into the wall also reminded me of what happened to Rubens Barrichello at that same race, Imola 1994. Rubens could easily have been the first of three deaths that weekend.

Airmail109
06-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Bleh some motorsports accidents Ive seen are really ****ing negligent

Roger Williamson's crash for example, that crash disgusts me....had the stewards reacted properly the guy would have lived.

Ive raced downhill, where guys have slammed into trees and then been flown out by helicopter and at the hospital in 15 minutes flat.

Roblex
06-14-2007, 11:46 PM
I noticed that no matter how hard they tried to stop such things happening they still ended up with 3 wheels dropping out of the sky. They could have killed any of the following drivers or even spectators if they had flown the wrong way!

MrMojok
06-14-2007, 11:47 PM
It's pretty unusual for the wheel tethers to break in F1 anymore, though... that was a tremendous shunt. Usually the tethers hold.

mrsiCkstar
06-15-2007, 12:45 AM
the cars are designed so that everything around the cockpit will break easily on such an impact to help absorb the force of it. the cockpit area itself is very hard and can take several tons of force from all directions. What saved Kubica's life was a combination of this and the HANS-collar.

when I saw the the crash I was worried because I saw his head move around a lot and pretty violently, but thanks to the HANS he didn't break his neck.

Jasko76
06-15-2007, 02:25 AM
I actually heard of the crash before I saw it (time difference), but man, that was a spectacle that even Hollywood couldn't emulate. The whole car tore to pieces, just as it should, since every bit that detaches from the car dissipates the energy. So this was a true demonstration of just how safe the F1 cars are today. And best of all, Kubica might even participate in this weekend's race at Indianapolis. Amazing stuff.

Next seazon, BMW will have a go at a second place in concstructors championship - mark my words. They will push Ferrari down, but not McLaren ofcourse - Hamilton & Alonso are way above any current competition.

They better move up, or I'll never buy another BMW!

Who am I kidding? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gifBMWhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

HotelBushranger
06-15-2007, 02:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">when I saw the the crash I was worried because I saw his head move around a lot and pretty violently, but thanks to the HANS he didn't break his neck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My thoughts exactly, his head seemed to take bit of a beating.

mrsiCkstar
06-15-2007, 03:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Next seazon, BMW will have a go at a second place in concstructors championship - mark my words. They will push Ferrari down, but not McLaren ofcourse - Hamilton & Alonso are way above any current competition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't say that, since the engine development has been frozen no one will get entirely new engines for a while so the only significant developments are done to the aerodynamics of the car, and the reliability of the components. At least all the top teams have a pretty equal chance of succeeding or screwing up in that regard. Just look at Renault, same engine as last year, one of the most powerful in the grid but their car is miserable.

I'm confident that Ferrari will bridge the gap to McLaren before the season is over, question is when.

carguy_
06-15-2007, 04:49 AM
There were so many things that could have gone wrong that the outcome is a bit of a miracle.I was amazed when Schumacher hit the wall with the front of the car at 160km/h and got out with minor injury(leg broken?) some years back.

And yet it hit me on the head that some of the older racetracks have little to no protection!What does 20m of grass field mean when the car is doingan average of @190km/h?
Kubica just flew there right into a hard wall and there should not be any hard walls so close to the track,ESPECIALLY when the spot is easy to foresee to be hit by cars thrown out of the last turn.

There needs to be 30m of lots and lots of sand in certain tracks spots to make the car slow as much as it can just as if it watch caught by a spiderweb.

Needless to say some of the Polish media already suggested that Kubica should step down from racing at all.Because he drives unsafely,lacks experience.

Now I`m not saying Kubica should take part in Indianapolis,but certainly the compeition after.If there`s anything that can destroy him now is his psyche.If he develops a fear he will never race to his full abilities again.I hope tha Sauber team know that.

What are the consequences of totaling a multi milion dollar car anyway?

MrMojok
07-05-2007, 02:56 AM
I thought I'd bump this back up because of this neat CG recreation of the crash, highlighting the things that kept this guy alive.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60463

BTW, all he sustained in this was a sprained ankle and a mild concussion. I am sure the youtube videos linked up above are gone, but I bet you can find new ones if you search youtube for "kubica crash f1"