PDA

View Full Version : Technically Challenged

dglasal
03-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Request some assistance. Does FB-AEF-PF have a built in system that moderates the speed of the simulation versus FPS? By this I mean, if I am averaging 30 FPS and fly say 5 miles, it will take me one minute to accomplish. And if I'm averaging 60 FPS, it will also take me one minute to fly the same 5 miles. (all things being equal except video set-up)

The reason I'm asking is it seems when I fly, everything is moving very quickly, much more than what I see in most of the game movies we share and certainly much faster than what I see on gun camera footage in documentaries.

I appreciate your responses and yes, I will learn to fly and survive someday! LOL

dglasal
03-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Request some assistance. Does FB-AEF-PF have a built in system that moderates the speed of the simulation versus FPS? By this I mean, if I am averaging 30 FPS and fly say 5 miles, it will take me one minute to accomplish. And if I'm averaging 60 FPS, it will also take me one minute to fly the same 5 miles. (all things being equal except video set-up)

The reason I'm asking is it seems when I fly, everything is moving very quickly, much more than what I see in most of the game movies we share and certainly much faster than what I see on gun camera footage in documentaries.

I appreciate your responses and yes, I will learn to fly and survive someday! LOL

slipBall
03-15-2006, 01:31 PM
You can speed, or slow things down, found in the controls section. Is it possible that you assigned that feature to a control button? and are flying at warp 9, lol, just a thought as to why it seems fast to you

dglasal
03-15-2006, 02:28 PM
I didn't know anything about such a feature in the control section. Is the control section found on the opening/main menu?

I'll start searching for this feature.

Thanks, and yes warp 9 is a killer with blackouts! lol

zoinks_
03-15-2006, 03:31 PM
in game controls. make sure you are flying at normal speed, not x2/x4/x8. maybe you hit the time accelleration key by mistake.

[ = faster
] = slower
' = normal

those default keys control time.

Tully__
03-15-2006, 07:17 PM
And in answer to your original question: Yes, unless you're using the above mentioned time compression controls the game speed is measured against the clock, not the frame rate. You can test it out by starting a quick mission, noting the time on the clock on the control panel of the aircraft (most have one) and comparing it to real world time. Trim the aircraft and go away for an hour (make sure you have plenty of fuel) and come back to check the time again. You'll find an hour has also passed in the game.

VW-IceFire
03-15-2006, 07:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tully__:
And in answer to your original question: Yes, unless you're using the above mentioned time compression controls the game speed is measured against the clock, not the frame rate. You can test it out by starting a quick mission, noting the time on the clock on the control panel of the aircraft (most have one) and comparing it to real world time. Trim the aircraft and go away for an hour (make sure you have plenty of fuel) and come back to check the time again. You'll find an hour has also passed in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is particularly cool if a dogfight server runs the same map all day long and is syncronized at the start to the time of day. So you log in sometime during the morning at say 9:30 and its 0930 hours...login in the evening at 5:00 and its 1700 hours. I've seen it done...but its no good for those late night sessions as its so dark http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tully__
03-15-2006, 08:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tully__:
And in answer to your original question: Yes, unless you're using the above mentioned time compression controls the game speed is measured against the clock, not the frame rate. You can test it out by starting a quick mission, noting the time on the clock on the control panel of the aircraft (most have one) and comparing it to real world time. Trim the aircraft and go away for an hour (make sure you have plenty of fuel) and come back to check the time again. You'll find an hour has also passed in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is particularly cool if a dogfight server runs the same map all day long and is syncronized at the start to the time of day. So you log in sometime during the morning at say 9:30 and its 0930 hours...login in the evening at 5:00 and its 1700 hours. I've seen it done...but its no good for those late night sessions as its so dark http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's cool if you're in the same time zone as the server http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

By the way, some DF servers that run the same map all the time use a utility to regularly update the time of day to prevent it getting dark, so you wont always see this one-to-one time correspondance on DF servers. This doesn't affect the aircraft performance though, your aicraft should still perform the same regardless of your PC performance.

dglasal
03-16-2006, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'll try the time test after work.

Take care all