PDA

View Full Version : OT: New Laptop

cam1936
07-04-2006, 06:26 PM
well university is coming up in the fall so im going to purchase a laptop online. Any suggestions as to what site i should buy from? I know dell has lowered thier standard with customer service lately and I heard one guy recommend www.buydirectpc.com/, (http://www.buydirectpc.com/,) anyone have any experince with this site? or can anyone recommend another site. Thanks in advance.

cam1936
07-04-2006, 06:26 PM
well university is coming up in the fall so im going to purchase a laptop online. Any suggestions as to what site i should buy from? I know dell has lowered thier standard with customer service lately and I heard one guy recommend www.buydirectpc.com/, (http://www.buydirectpc.com/,) anyone have any experince with this site? or can anyone recommend another site. Thanks in advance.

flakwagen
07-05-2006, 10:14 AM
I purchased a used Dell Inspiron 2650 with 384 megs of RAM and a 1.4ghz P4 processor for under $400 USD a five months ago. I am very happy with it. The only drawback is that I will have to take it apart to upgrade the ram (the other slot isn't user-accessible) and it doesn't have a built-in ethernet card. But built-in components have a way of breaking and becoming deadweight, so I certainly don't mind.

http://pcworld.about.com/news/Jun082002id101702.htm

If you can find a source of used laptops that you trust, I say go for it.

Flak

han freak solo
07-07-2006, 04:53 PM
I figured you'd get more replies by now.

I'm no expert at all on any PC, laptop, or Mac. Just my latest experience here.

I did purchase a new open-box Compaq Presario V2000 in November 2005 for $500 US(after rebate) from Micro Center (http://www.microcenter.com/) in the USA.

It came low end for a new laptop with:
>AMD Sempron 3000+
>40GB hard drive
>DVD-ROM/CD-RW
>Internal wireless
>14" widescreen

I upgraded to 1GB total RAM and since the video RAM is shared, I selected 128MB of the RAM for video purposes. The RAM set me back another $160 US.

There are better laptops for more money, especially after the "time passed equals more computer for the money" problem.

I use my laptop for work for service manuals in PDF, and for website development software. I also use the laptop for night school.

It handles having several applications open at the same time such as Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Plus it can handle some videogaming such as IL2-FB/AEP/PF.

Anyway, I bought in person at a walk-in store. Open-box can be a gamble, but it does come with a warranty. Just check it out thoroughly at the store before you go home, if you choose to go the open-box route.

One thing I would NEVER purchase open-box is RAM. I did this by mistake for a desktop system a couple of years back. The RAM was bad and did enough "electronic" harm to the hard drive where I had to reformat and reinstall the OS and everything else.

ploughman
07-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Funnily enough I'm looking for a laptop. I only need to for it to do word processing and be able to LAN or maybe interntet with my desktop so I can transfer data. I was wondering about spend, and the least of course is the best but I've been concerned about reconditioned types as their warranties aren't so great or they cost as near as make me want to buy a new one. I can get a reconditioned one for 200 whith fanny all warranty or a new base model one for 350.

Guess I answered my own question.

fabianfred
07-07-2006, 10:39 PM
well last month I went home to england for a month after a near six year abscence...
I was surprised to find it impossible to find any libraries etc. with computers that had DVD writers...ROMs yes...writers no, so the handful og blank DVD's I took to write my pix and vids on were useless.
looking at alternatives such as external hard drive, external dvd writer, storage direct from camera flashcards etc. I came to the descision that a laptop would fulfil my needs best and be good for much more besides.

without doing any swatting online beforehand I simply looked in at my local Curry's store (same as PC World)
I was impressed with the Compaq Pressario V5115 EU and got that at GBP. 650 (a month later down to 600.-) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I liked the big wide screen
1 gig Ram
DVD writer
ATI radeon xpress 200M 128mb
AMD turion 64 processor
winXP home and microsoft works suite
80 gb drive
wireless something or other... not bluetooth
only 2 uSB ports though

although it wasn't bought for gaming.... I did get a copy of the il2FB/AEP/PF DVD and installed it just for fun
I downloaded and ran a couple of my BIG missions which always make my main computer struggle and it ran as smoothly as anything.... definately higher specs than my Athlon XP 2200+ with GF 4 MX220 and 1.5 gig ram i fly with here

han freak solo
07-08-2006, 11:16 AM
I forgot to mention how I dislike the "shiny" display on the new laptops. It catches too many reflections.

If you use your laptop mainly indoors, it's not that bad. Outdoors it's a biatch. I use my laptop in my car sometimes and the reflections make it difficult to see the data on the screen.

My recommendation is to get a matte finish display if you can.